Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMPS Alert on 3 wheels. What's the correct tire pressure for 19" wheels on a P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving the other day when all of a sudden as soon as I made a turn, a TMPS alert went up for 3 of my wheels at the same time. They are now all showing 40 PSI in yellow. It's odd all 3 wheels are stating the same pressure and I'm hoping this is because of the drop in temperature and not because 3 wheels have an issue!

What is the correct tire pressure or pressure range for 19" wheels on a P100D?

I looked at the door sticker and that calls for 42psi front and rear but that is for the 21" wheels that came with the car so I'm not sure if the same pressure is applicable for 19" wheels.

I appreciate any advice! I keep a portable air compressor in the car so I should be able to top off the air after the experts here chime in on the correct pressure :)

20191112_224046.jpg
20191112_225525.jpg

Hyperbole? Hardly. I was being 100% serious because rather than search someone feels the need to start an entirely new thread about this very topic weekly.

I for one am grateful the OP asked this question as our temps are dropping as well and it made me check my tire pressure. Sure enough on two wheels I was within 1 PSI of the TPMS warning triggering. I'm glad I checked the tire pressure on all 4 wheels to avoid seeing a TPMS warning when I'm on my way somewhere or confusing my wife if she was driving somewhere.

With the temps falling, I suggest everyone check their tire pressure as well and I recommend that you keep a small portable air compressor in the car. It might even save you one day if you have a "slow puncture/leak."

To the OP: This is probably your first winter with the car and the fact that you are getting the warning on all 3 wheels suggests this is due to the dropping temps, as you are seeing a consistent drop on 3 wheels. Just add some air and you should be fine.

There has been varying PSI numbers suggested over the last several years so I don't mind this topic being brought up. The consensus for now seems to be 45 psi and possibly reduce that by 2-3 psi for comfort if you decide you prefer that. Ambient temperatures does affect the tire pressure so in my case, I set all four tires to 44 psi.

As always, keep an eye on tire pressure and tire wear about once a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: DCEV and BobbyJones
Thanks again for everyone who was nice enough to help, despite one person who seems quite upset!

I decided to fill with 78% nitrogen and the alerts went away. I went with 45 psi but the car seems to be noticeably "bouncier" than before. Wonder if I should reduce by a few PSI...

Has anyone seen any information on how tire psi +/- 10% affects launch performance?

Reactions: Wyomingtim
Thanks again for everyone who was nice enough to help, despite one person who seems quite upset!

I decided to fill with 78% nitrogen and the alerts went away. I went with 45 psi but the car seems to be noticeably "bouncier" than before. Wonder if I should reduce by a few PSI...

Has anyone seen any information on how tire psi +/- 10% affects launch performance?

Okay, I'll bite... what exactly about my post makes me "seem quite upset" as you put it? Also, try to remember that I was the first correct response to your question.

I noticed that the door stickers the OP posted are for 21" wheels. (Note the 245/35R21 Front and 265/35R21 Rear notation)
He says he now has 19" tires.

That explains the discrepancy between 42 vs 45 psi numbers.

Maybe the car originally had 21" tires and that is what the door sticker refers to.

For Model S 19" wheels, I have consistently seen the 45 psi setting.

I noticed that the door stickers the OP posted are for 21" wheels. (Note the 245/35R21 Front and 265/35R21 Rear notation)
He says he now has 19" tires.

That explains the discrepancy between 42 vs 45 psi numbers.

Maybe the car originally had 21" tires and that is what the door sticker refers to.

For Model S 19" wheels, I have consistently seen the 45 psi setting.

Thanks! Yes, that's exactly what happened.

And I wanted to see what a current door sticker stated for 19" wheels and someone helpfully confirm it is 45 psi.

The car does seem bouncier than it used to be at 45 psi though.