Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To 19" or 21", that is the question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my eyes set on a new S, probably long range. 3.1 seconds 0-60 is fast enough (and until quite recently would have been thought of as crazy fast). How much better handling would I get out of the 21"versus the 19"? If I went with 19" summer tires versus, for the sake of argument, 21" all season, would there be much difference?

The amount you save with 19” leaves a whole bunch of options if 19” don’t meet your needs.

Note that, I think normally 19” are all season. But I think due to shortages they have been some with summer.

Those that didn’t want summer requested AS and got it. The reverse might not be true. And I suspect the shortage might be past. But you never know.

I wanted AS, got summer, and like them so I’m keeping them.

Handles good to me. Especially coming from an X with AS 20”.

I'm an aesthetics guy, and I have to say, the 21's look SO MUCH BETTER on a car as beefy as the S.

The ride is still plenty comfortable on 21's, handling is noticibly better, and they just look so much nicer.

WITH THAT SAID, I'm not crazy about how the design of the factory 21's. IMO, buy the car with 19s, and then find some nice forged wheels like Vossens and buy them in the 21" flavor. Then you can sell the 19s or keep them as spares.

Go with the 19's and get better aftermarket options if you want. I decided to split the difference and put on 20's. The 21's are too low profile for my area and adversely impact range and ride quality too much. I bought lightweight aftermarket wheels for about the price of the 21's (which are heavy and ugly (to me)). I can keep my 19's for the winter if needed or sell and recoup some money.

Can't say I've was unhappy with the 19's. They were better than I thought they would be.

As for performance, the LR is plenty quick. The mid range pull is even more impressive than the off the line acceleration.

19s:
- Pros: Cheaper, lighter, more range.
- Cons: Aesthetics

21s:
- Pros: Aesthetics, handling
- Cons: Range, weight, ride comfort, cost of replacement tires

imo, get the 19s. If you don't like them, it may be cheaper to upgrade to an aftermarket 21" option (after selling your 19s). Or go for the middle ground with 20s.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at 21” wheels on Tire Rack. With tires, mostly about the same price as Tesla’s. Forged wheels are still pricier. 20” could be a good idea. That is what I have on my Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Work well.

Personal preference but I can't stand 21" wheels. Too harsh, too much road noise. I would use 17's if they would fit (the don't). The extra inches of rubber between the road and the wheel really make a difference for comfort.

Ever since I added TWRAPS to the calipers I now like the look of 19” with covers.

The little bit of red peaking through makes it look mean rather than boring. And I get the smoother, quieter ride and the efficiency.

My lifetime is 255 wh/mi for 1300 miles.
Best round trip of 300 miles I hit 242 wh/mi every time. That’s just about EPA rating. These are the summer 19” BTW.

The TWRAPS not work on every color car. I was originally going to get red because I think the dark Aeros and hardware against red look good. But I ended up getting someone else’s reservation and it was MSM. No regrets, had MSM twice before.

51993562945_c8670a0f24_b_d.jpg

The TWRAPS not work on every color car. I was originally going to get red because I think the dark Aeros and hardware against red look good. But I ended up getting someone else’s reservation and it was MSM. No regrets, had MSM twice before.
What does the quoted text mean? Trying to decipher TWRAPS and MSM. Apparently whatever an MSM is, it's something you could have also had twice before. But somehow it's something you reserve? Is it stickers on the calipers or on the covers?

Looks - The 21's just look better. The 19" look out of place - disproportionate on this size vehicle. No aftermarket strike me as better so I am happy for now.

Ride - I am in the minority on the ride comfort of the 21's is more than fine for me. A little firmer but not bad at all.

Range - after 34k miles, I have not been in one case where the range penalty has made a difference or even been noticeable. A nothingburger to me.

Tires - choices are not good now. The Pilot Sport 4S are one of the best tires but really limited for temperature. I made a set of 20" for the winter but will stay with the 21" next winter if a good A/S or winter in this size comes out.

Weight - heavier that some but not noticeable in the street driving handling. Weight is not what kills the range.

Reactions: Nickos and Bull
Ever since I added TWRAPS to the calipers I now like the look of 19” with covers.

The little bit of red peaking through makes it look mean rather than boring. And I get the smoother, quieter ride and the efficiency.

My lifetime is 255 wh/mi for 1300 miles.
Best round trip of 300 miles I hit 242 wh/mi every time. That’s just about EPA rating. These are the summer 19” BTW.

51993562945_c8670a0f24_b_d.jpg
I think the 19" with the covers look more futuristic where the 21" look more sporty.

As mentioned before - get the stock 19. If you like them - then great. Otherwise, you will be able spend the $4,500 towards a set of forged 20/21 + tires. Turn around time on custom forged wheels are not bad, plus you can keep the stock 19s for a different set of tires or sell them. Or get forged 19s and reuse factory tires and put winter tires on stock 19.

Reactions: mswlogo
As mentioned before - get the stock 19. If you like them - then great. Otherwise, you will be able spend the $4,500 towards a set of forged 20/21 + tires. Turn around time on custom forged wheels are not bad, plus you can keep the stock 19s for a different set of tires or sell them. Or get forged 19s and reuse factory tires and put winter tires on stock 19.
I had low profile tires before, I hated them. Loved the look but hated conistent flats, fast wear, the extra cost but most importantly my time being wasted.

For people that aren't always driving on perfectly groomed track roadways and are instead out in the real world..... Potholes and broken pavement think that 21" low profile wheels are just amazingly tasty.

More sidewall on a 19 isn't a problem for aesthetics, there's just not that much difference. Whether a 50 aspect will fit is the question, for even more cushion. I pulled a set of 20" rims and low profile tires off mine and put on stock wheels, and the handling is still great. The car is still silly fast, but now gets better range.... If I can keep my foot out of the hyperdrive mode.

My car came with 21" staggered turbines (used). This was how I wanted them and agree they look a lot better, and seem to provide better traction and handling. However, I was absolutely sick of the tire wear from the staggered set given the lack of rotation. A pair of super sports will run you $900 with installation easy, and I was going through a pair twice a year (plus the occasional replacement of the fronts).

I downgraded to the 19s and have been super happy. I'd say they look 5% worse or so but 5% better range and 25% more comfortable / less anxiety inducing on the uneven roads in SF / east bay.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
One thing that irks me about the stock wheels and tires - the Goodyear Eagles grip great... But why spec tires that don't protect the rims? I brushed a curb while parking in NJ, and the damn granite contacted the edge of the rim b/c the tire isn't protecting it! Just a BIT more shoe width would have been fine, and protected that rim rather than shrinking right out of the way to let the aluminum eat it.

Obnoxious.