Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To all small business owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I wanted to get an opinion. I am a physician, own my own business, and debating between the model 3 or model s. I have a 5 mile drive to work every day. The model 3 is cheaper but I like the S for its looks and range.

This car will be my daily driver but worried about the perception of my patients and employees with a Tesla S. I drive a beater car so no worries about patient saying "he is rich, lets sue" or employees saying , "He must be doing good, I need to ask for raise". Do you think employees know value of Model S or should I just get a 3 and have less worries about it?

Just get what works best for you. Two different cars, I have both, the S is my company car because of the hatchback/space. I am an Automotive Technician who visits used car private party sellers and dealers to perform onsite prepurchase inspections. I pull up in my S and perform the inspection out the back of it. Maybe 20% of people ask how I like my Tesla, of those 90% do not know which model it is (yes including car salespeople). The 3 has 95% of the features of the S, and in many ways better for 1/2 the cost.

Welcome to the family, as a car guy who makes a living inspecting ICE vehicles, you are making the right choice! Shameless Referral plug if you don't already have one - Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $250 Cash Award

Reactions: P85LongBeach
I asked my dentist wife and agree 100% with her response:

Get what you makes you happy, not what makes others comfortable. HOWEVER, she also made another good point. You should also make sure to take care of good employees because good help is hard to find. If employees asked for a raise in the past and you said you couldn't afford it and then turn around and buy a Tesla (any new car, really), then it's a slap in the face to your employees/team and hurts morale.

If you take care of your staff and show them appreciation, and carry ample malpractice, then get what your heart desires. You certainly worked hard and should be able to reap some of the rewards.

Just agreeing with other folks here that very few people are going to see your car and know if it's a model 3 or S or what either one cost. Get what you think is best for you and don't worry about it. My expectation is that my doctor is well paid and has worked hard to get there and deserves to drive a nice car. The fact that they are helping to save the planet by lowering their carbon footprint is just a bonus.

Hello everyone, I wanted to get an opinion. I am a physician, own my own business, and debating between the model 3 or model s. I have a 5 mile drive to work every day. The model 3 is cheaper but I like the S for its looks and range.

This car will be my daily driver but worried about the perception of my patients and employees with a Tesla S. I drive a beater car so no worries about patient saying "he is rich, lets sue" or employees saying , "He must be doing good, I need to ask for raise". Do you think employees know value of Model S or should I just get a 3 and have less worries about it?

Buy a used Leaf for nothing and drive it to work. Make sure you tell everyone how cheap it was and thank God! for the Texas electricity charging your battery for free at night or else you would not be able to afford your malpractice insurance. Keep the Model S at home and drive it like you stole it. If anyone sees you tell them about your damn cousin who bought all that Tesla stock and you wish you had listened to him he has the best car now.

Agree that Model X will give this businessman the best bang for the buck. It will end up net less expensive than even a stripper Model 3.

Section 179, plus accelerated depreciation will allow the entire purchase price to be written off the first year placed into service.

Employees will know you are a successful Physician, and you can give them rides and take them out to lunch once in a while (on you).

I note at most Physician parking lots, Tesla is becoming the car of choice for many.

Get your hospital to provide some EV charging in the parking lot as well.

Driving an EV is a great image for a Physician as ICE exhausts are unhealthy.

My experience is with clients and a new Porsche, years ago, definitely changed their perception in a negative way.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am a small business owner. Many of our clients drive Teslas. I think it shows a concern for the environment and a interest in high tech. This is our first American car. As long as you don't buy a new one every other year, I think people will respect you for driving a Tesla. I keep it low key--I do not have personalized plates and park way in the back.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Agree that Model X will give this businessman the best bang for the buck. It will end up net less expensive than even a stripper Model 3.

Section 179, plus accelerated depreciation will allow the entire purchase price to be written off the first year placed into service.

Employees will know you are a successful Physician, and you can give them rides and take them out to lunch once in a while (on you).

I note at most Physician parking lots, Tesla is becoming the car of choice for many.

Get your hospital to provide some EV charging in the parking lot as well.

Driving an EV is a great image for a Physician as ICE exhausts are unhealthy.

Why would a Physician with an office need a company vehicle? Not likely he is doing house calls

A vehicle purchased/owned by a business is for business use and only the percentage it actually used for business can be a business expense. Commute does not count for a business expense

For some sure section 179 makes sense but just a general "you own a business! use the hummer loophole!!!" is just bad advice.