Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To all the people complaining about not getting anything for buying FSD first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You got to drive a kick ass car for years and the opportunity to completely revolutionize it WITHOUT PURCHASING A BRAND NEW VEHICLE.

Are we seriously so spoiled that we have forgotten that legacy automakers offer absolutely no upgrade paths for their vehicles?? That every model year brings changes with no hope of updates. Try getting even a map update for your 8 month old Lexus.

What a privilege to be able to update my years old vehicle! Quit whining that someone else might get FSD PREVIEW a month earlier than you. How pretentious to think everyone should wait until you can have it first.

/rant

This would be a Mighty Fine Righteous Rant if we weren’t specifically told that vehicles will be upgraded to HW3 as FSD features begin requiring it. Also, most of the outrage I’ve seen so far is focused on the lack of communication, which is in turn perceived as a lack of a coherent plant. People are worried about being left behind, and, given the MCU1 situation, I think rightfully so.

With legacy automaker I knew before hand that I will have to pay for map updates. Whereas Tesla has significantly took away a lot of features that came with car when I purchased it (dual apps, working browser, faster charging speed, reduced range etc.) No they didn't give me free auto high beam, TACC, Auto wipers. Those features where advertised as part of vehicle when purchased.
As far as FSD they made false claims that my car has full FSD hardware without any real proof and took money from me. I am sure you would be upset giving away $4000 (for some even more $$) to a stranger for some false promise in return?

Reactions: thevaibhav
I don’t really care about the sneak preview/ HW3, but I still have nothing to show for my FSD purchase that people with EAP don’t have. It’s not an early adopter issue per se, since I haven’t actually gotten the FSD product to enjoy.

What was the worst thing is that those of us who were suckered into buying FSD early were explicitly told that if we didn’t pay right away, the price would go up. Months later, the price actually went down!! Again, this is on a feature that was never delivered and still has yet to be delivered. I’m still salty about that, though the paid performance boost offer has partially made up for it.

Reactions: thevaibhav
I’m still salty about that, though the paid performance boost offer has partially made up for it.
Really? That was enough to placate you? You spent how much more for full self driving we never actually got and subsequent purchasers paid less for but put down an additional $2,000 for a little more umph at a red light to green light transition. Certainly "to each their own". In 76 or 77 I had a Datsun (subsequently Nissan) B-210. On an entrance ramp to an interstate I felt I would be taking my life in my hand every time as upon merge w/65mph traffic I'd be MAYBE doing 50. The Prius I traded in for the Model 3 blew the doors off that B-210 acceleration. For likely 99/100 cars at a red light that unmodified M 3 LR AWD would blow the doors off the guy in the next lane. Paying an extra $2,000 to make that 199/200, I just don't see the value. Disclaimer, I am also no longer 25. <- saying that tongue-in-cheek. Ppl w/o FSD got that same upgrade option.

Reactions: C141medic
Really? That was enough to placate you? You spent how much more for full self driving we never actually got and subsequent purchasers paid less for but put down an additional $2,000 for a little more umph at a red light to green light transition. Certainly "to each their own". In 76 or 77 I had a Datsun (subsequently Nissan) B-210. On an entrance ramp to an interstate I felt I would be taking my life in my hand every time as upon merge w/65mph traffic I'd be MAYBE doing 50. The Prius I traded in for the Model 3 blew the doors off that B-210 acceleration. For likely 99/100 cars at a red light that unmodified M 3 LR AWD would blow the doors off the guy in the next lane. Paying an extra $2,000 to make that 199/200, I just don't see the value. Disclaimer, I am also no longer 25. <- saying that tongue-in-cheek. Ppl w/o FSD got that same upgrade option.

that’s why I said “partially”.

when I ordered my AWD in July 2018, I could not justify the price for a performance model (my recollection was it was about 11k more). I was mad that the Performance price dropped so far after I got my AWD. Those people got a rebate and I would have bought a performance model at the lower price. Ideally, people like me should have been offered the cost difference to upgrade to achieve a stealth car (that was not an option when I preordered in 2017).

the boost is better than nothing though I still would prefer a full stealth unlock at a $2000 price (I understand that’s the current price of for a true stealth). I actually have not bought the upgrade yet. Still on the fence based on mixed reviews.

I didn’t buy FSD with our new Model S purchased 12/2016. (I only purchased it during the Spring 2019 sale.) However lots of people did buy it three years ago and I can assure you none of the Tesla “sales” staff ever hinted that FSD could be unavailable for several years. Not that they had a clue either. Even now Tesla staff have no idea when or if AP2.0 owners will ever get it. (They, like us, largely rely on Musk tweets for much of their information, which is rather pathetic.)

While I intend to keep both Teslas for at least 8-10 years, anyone on a lease or who simply chooses to trade in say four or five years got the shaft three years ago. They currently have the EAP features and that’s all. Making matters worse for them, it appears they will wait much longer based on Elon’s tweet a couple days ago that suggested they don’t have a 2.0 solution for FSD even yet. Many months ago he answered a 2.0 owner by saying, don’t worry anyone who bought FSD will get it. Now he says it is complicated, which sounds a heck of a lot less reassuring to me.

I don’t understand why people like the OP like to post crap bashing these 2.0 owners who clearly got the shaft. Do they have great cars with all sorts of features that make them great? Sure they do, but it is asinine to criticize them for being a bit PO’d about spending a lot of spare change for vaporware.

Last edited:
No Nav on Autopilot? For us (those who bought last year), NoA was a big deal over autopark and autosteer.

We have NoA in the EU, but it's confirmation-only for lane changes. And might as well be, because at least here in Finland it suggests unnecessary changes to "follow route" all the time. Seems the maps aren't quite ready for it. But the regulations are the real reason it requires confirmations.

We have NoA in the EU, but it's confirmation-only for lane changes. And might as well be, because at least here in Finland it suggests unnecessary changes to "follow route" all the time. Seems the maps aren't quite ready for it. But the regulations are the real reason it requires confirmations.
Yep, same here. It's embarrassing. I never turned on auto lane change as it's constantly insisting on change for change sake.