Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To all the people complaining about not getting anything for buying FSD first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the boost is better than nothing though I still would prefer a full stealth unlock at a $2000 price (I understand that’s the current price of for a true stealth). I actually have not bought the upgrade yet. Still on the fence based on mixed reviews.
I am not sure what you mean by full stealth. But keep in mind there are hardware differences too. I've heard the motors are different, I've heard they aren't, I've heard the inverters are different, I have not heard they aren't. I remember a course I took in college, Production Control and how the sample rate of product effects the quality of the product. Companies make very precise decisions on how much money to spend based, in part, on what percentage of things coming off the line they check. The motors in a P are tested much more thoroughly than for an AWD or RWD. So long as the motor isn't pushed to it's limits it is most likely adequate but pushed to Performance limits may crater. It's actually really quite the exacting science. One need only look at Amazon to see the effect. Discounting planted reviews some people get the reworked product others get the straight off the line. So we see a U shaped response on reviews, great product to absolute junk. For Performance every motor is guaranteed tested at the higher stress level. They are the cream of the cream. A software update will not overcome that. What people may see is a higher percentage of failures. Now, if they give those that paid 'full' price back in 2018 that software update for free that'll help some of the WTF on dramatically lowering the price.

@DrLegoHair

So, at what point will "Full Self-Driving Capability" features noticeably depart from "Enhanced Autopilot" features for us who bought Autopilot 2 prior to 1/23/17?

3 months maybe, 6 months definitely?

By the way, there were ton of folks piling on people on TMC who dared to worry that HW3 upgrades mean early adopters will get left behind. We kept being told HW3 is not needed yet and you'll get it when it is needed... How did that work out?

Now it has been needed for some time for features and Tesla doesn't even have a rough public description of when and how AP2 cars will get upgraded. So it seems like 6-0 for the "concern trolls" (yes, that was one thing we were called). ;)

Frankly: I feel most sorry for those who leased. At least people like me who bought can just forego buying new Teslas or other cars until our cars get back on the program, which is exactly what I'm doing. Sure, we got shafted, but at least we won't miss out due to such an external deadline.

Those folks turning in leases with FSD bought right now, though... man...

nN3w5Yk.jpg

You got to drive a kick ass car for years and the opportunity to completely revolutionize it WITHOUT PURCHASING A BRAND NEW VEHICLE.

Are we seriously so spoiled that we have forgotten that legacy automakers offer absolutely no upgrade paths for their vehicles?? That every model year brings changes with no hope of updates. Try getting even a map update for your 8 month old Lexus.

What a privilege to be able to update my years old vehicle! Quit whining that someone else might get FSD PREVIEW a month earlier than you. How pretentious to think everyone should wait until you can have it first.

/rant

honestly, tesla shouldnt be charging people for FSD if its not available. i have never paid to be a beta tester and i have beta tested or early previewed hundreds of pieces of hardware and software over the years. some was provided free and i got to keep, some i had to return, and some granted a temporary license that was revoked after testing was complete. what tesla should have done was allow people to beta test and offered a discount later on when it is released. when folks start ponying up $$$ to be a beta tester, that signals to a company that they can take advantage. i was reading that some folks that leased the tesla and paid for FSD may already be returning their vehicles due to lease ending without ever having received FSD. do they get a refund? also would be cool if tesla allowed licenses to be transferred or provide a discount if getting a new vehicle that replaces the vehicle that had FSD. instead, i have read they are wiping the feature when re-selling used/end of lease teslas that had the option. seems greedy to me...

Reactions: C141medic
Oh what a world we live in when actually expecting promised and paid-for goods and services to be delivered within years of paying for it is considered "whining". Leases and warranties are expiring and some of us having nothing to show for the money that we spent on this vaporware, but yes, go ahead and continue to tell us all about our whining.
Perhaps but what if, when FSD is released, the price to purchase is $20,000? Would you feel different about it then? Another way to look at this is people were (partially) funding the development of it. Again, if it's $29.95 when complete that's one thing. If it's $20,000 for an autonomous car, people will be kicking themselves they didn't "get in on the ground floor".