TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

To Broder or not to Broder, that is the question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by richkae, Feb 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. richkae

richkae VIN587

Please try to work this newly coined word into your conversation and post the results here.
    I think both definitions have promise, so I think we should allow both. Please feel free to offer refinements to the definition and/or syntax.

to Broder: to waste time and/or energy in an attempt to fail at some task

examples:
    1. I didn't want to go to the meeting so I Brodered back and forth between my office and the lunch room for 15 minutes until it started. Then I didn't go because it would have been rude to show up late.
    2. I didn't want to have hamburgers again today, so last night I Brodered all the propane away by leaving the barbeque running after I was done cooking.

to Broder: to blatantly ignore obvious empirical data about the task at hand

examples:
    1. The recipe called for a cup of flour, but I only had a half cup handy - so I Brodered and used that. The muffins turned out like inedible hockey pucks.
    2. Our kicker had never before made a field goal longer than 40 yards, but the coach Brodered and had him kick from 80 yards away anyway. We lost.

2. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Ooo, I like this thread.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I think my version is more like it!

4. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Sorry ... richkae, but I brodered about it for a bit, then had no alternative but to add a GREEN reputation to your account.

5. drbradfo

drbradfo Member

#5 drbradfo, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I like the first definition: to waste time and/or energy in an attempt to fail at some task.

7. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Slight modification:

"To waste time and/or energy in an attempt to fail at some task on purpose as you have a hidden agenda"

8. richkae

richkae VIN587

I have more work I wanted to get done today but I've Brodered away the last half hour and nothing else is getting finished before I go home.

I'm going to jump in my car before it gets late and I Broder more time away sitting in traffic.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Bob Bott's brother brodered by buttering a big broken Buick.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

My wife asked me to take out the garbage before the trash truck came, so I Brodered around the house long enough that she just did it herself.

11. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

New definition of units:

1 Broder = 1 Max Drucker + 3 neurons.

Or 1 Broder - 3 neurons = 1 Max Drucker

That is to say, almost as stupid as Max Drucker, the bricker, but not quite.

12. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

LOL! This thread is great :biggrin:

13. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

Extreme Brodering

From a comment I made on the engadget coverage [1]:

P.S. I will not actually do this, even if TEG, Bonnie and Doug all double-dare me to do it.

[1] Fleet of Tesla Model S owners set out to refute NYT report, coin slang for human error

14. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Irrespective of what Sullivan says, Mr Broder, I've no doubt brodered the car.

ps : my definition

Brodering : v. Deliberately run out of charge and stall an EV. Could also be because of ignorance or criminal negligence.

15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

16. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I laughed so much for this. :)

17. Dan5

Dan5 Member

I'm not in too good shape now so I brodered my marathon time by giving blood an hour before the race; now I have an excuse why my time was bad.

I'm going to broder your phone up with apps, then we'll see whose phone lasts longer.

Look, I know you don't want me to smoke, but brodering my lighter is not cool.

18. Runarbt

Runarbt Member

John Broder has started a series og "testing".. next up is the serving tray

bhaIO.gif

19. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

Brodering is kind of same thing as when someone asks you to do something, and you do it so badly that they`ll never ask you again.
    I.e. I brodered the laundry so I`ll never have to do it again.