Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Buy an X or Not Now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let me clarify, I totally understand how great it is and how much better it is to its competitors otherwise I would not have put a deposit down for it. But, the question is what is the "RISK" factor in buying such an expensive car not knowing clearly the future of the company given the recent spade of news, mostly negative of course that never seems to stop. Clearly the company is under pressure (not profitable in 15 years) and the million dollar question is can Tesla withstand this pressure and make it? I guess no one knows the answer to that question - or do we? ;-)

Your fears are unjustified, ignore the hilarious media hype. Have you seen the share price rally as of late?

Tesla not making profit simply means they are spending more money than they make, which is normal for any new company. Amazon wasn't profitable for decades and look at them now...

Buy the car, don't worry about it. GM and Chrysler actually went bankrupt while Tesla hasn't and is nowhere near that.

Reactions: Tam and P85_DA
Tesla is actually super solid, no matter what all the shorts come up with to cast doubt.

The Roadster was a big gamble and they pulled it off. Learned a lot and went forward to design a 4 door sedan, the Model S

Model S was a huge success. People waited years to get theirs after putting down their deposits.
Rated the best car that Consumer Reports ever tested.
Governmental crash testing confirmed the safety of the car.
Has been sold out with a waiting line ever since the release.

Model X the same story. High safety, sold out production, etc.

Model 3, the same thing. Hundreds of thousands waiting in line to get theirs produced.

During this time Tesla has also rolled out thousands of Supercharger stations to support their products. Fastest and most available EV charging station in the World.

All this time the nay sayers beat their drums on how Tesla is doomed. I should be so doomed.

Hope you enjoy your new Model X as much as I do mine.

I know this might sound a little panicky since I am due to pick up my new X in a week or so - with all the negative press and stock shorting and renewed conversation about Tesla going bust in a couple of years, is it a good idea to invest in an X now or wait till the other big companies (BMW, Audi, VW) to come out with their own version of EV's in a more matured market that we could be in a couple of years? I don't mean to open a can of worms but purchasing an X is a significant amount of money and so I thought I would pose the question. I do realize this is a Tesla forum but would be good to hear balanced opinions.

Firstly, don't ever listen to popular media, it's all BS whatever the subject. To find a more balanced view you always have to dig way below all the lazy click-bait journalism, which is nearly always negative anyway. Tesla has become a great click bait subject for the media and they are milking it as much as they can. I certainly don't envy any investor shorting Tesla stock today as they are getting hammered!

As for the Model X itself, how long do you intend to own it for? If you are looking at 10 year plus ownership, then it's anyone's guess where Tesla and their competitors will be in that timescale. If you are looking at 3 or 4 years then it's a no brainer to go for the X now as there will be nothing significantly better on the market anyway. Tesla are the mature player in the EV market and everybody else is reluctantly playing catch-up. I say reluctantly because their competition is all MASSIVELY invested in ICE for the next couple of decades at least. To the point where Chinese EV start-ups like NIO might become more of a Tesla competitor than the traditional car makers over the next decade.

We took delivery of our X 75D in Feb and I have to say it's the best car I've ever driven in this category i.e. large family car. I certainly wouldn't want to wait another couple of years for an unknown quantity while I could be driving the X around! I'm committed to this car for 4 years, so if there is something better in 2022 then I will be in a position to swap anyway. But I'm confident that the Model X will remain the best car in class for a minimum of 2 years and quite probably more. For all the hype, the Jaguar iPace is less practical (much smaller inside) and more boring to sit in with it's ICE inspired interior. Not to mention a 12 month+ waiting list! Perhaps the Audi etron might be a serious contender, but how long would I have to wait for one of those to arrive? Maybe late 2019 at best and nothing I've seen on the spec beats the current X anyway.

A little tale for you. A friend of ours came round in his BMW X5 to take a look at our Model X as he's thinking of changing cars later this year. Parked next to each other, if the BMW was the pinnacle of human automotive achievement, then the Model X looks like it was designed with alien technology way beyond any human capability! It is so clearly a far more advanced design with its amazing electric drivetrain, aerodynamic body and futuristic interior tech. He was totally blown away by the reality of a direct side-by-side comparison and now seriously thinking of ordering a Tesla instead of the "new" BMW he was thinking about. His BMW looked like something out of the last century with its boxy design, dated low tech interior and diesel engine. Even if the BMW build quality was slightly better it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference (not that I've actually had any build issues with my X).