Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To buy or not to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking of buying my sister’s 2016 Model X which has 50k miles with batteries replaced last year, which seems to be a bonus. I’m looking in to see if she can buy an extended warranty that can transfer but worry about what it WON’T cover. I’m trying to figure out what might go wrong and how much it will cost to fix it. When I see comments like “eye watering” repair cost, I hesitate even though she will sell it to me for trade-in value. The cost of tires and having to replace them often seems to come up a lot, too. Any advice on possible costly repairs or routine maintenance costs? Any issues with getting things covered under warranty?

I’m thinking of buying my sister’s 2016 Model X which has 50k miles with batteries replaced last year, which seems to be a bonus. I’m looking in to see if she can buy an extended warranty that can transfer but worry about what it WON’T cover. I’m trying to figure out what might go wrong and how much it will cost to fix it. When I see comments like “eye watering” repair cost, I hesitate even though she will sell it to me for trade-in value. The cost of tires and having to replace them often seems to come up a lot, too. Any advice on possible costly repairs or routine maintenance costs? Any issues with getting things covered under warranty?
Outside of tires and alignment every 20K or so, there is not a lot of routine maintenance. Most things are on an as-needed basis.

Of course, if something breaks remember prices are based on the original price of the car, so $100K. High-end cars are always cheap to purchase, but expensive to repair when something major goes wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: XCare EV
Happy to help with some free information and advice. I drive a Model X, worked for Tesla for many years, and have experience both with Tesla warranty and XCare to share. Hit me up and I'm happy to get you info and some quotes based on your needs. Cheers, Brent [email protected] xcelerateauto.com/x-care

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I think an important question is how much money would cause your eyes to water? All cars are a gamble, and a used one is even more so. It helps that you know its history and getting it for trade in value. That would make me likely to take the gamble. But I would not do it without a maintenance/repair bucket of money in reserve, just in case. You specifically mentioned tires. I had to replace my first set at 25,000 miles and have expected that will be the ongoing frequency, costing at least $1k each time.

The tire wear is 2x higher on the rear than the front. Because the tires sized are different front and rear, you cannot rotate them reducing or evening out the wear. The front will get the miles the tire is rated for. The rear is half. There are options for tires that are less expensive and good, but do not get the mileage efficiency. I put Perelli Scorpion Zeros on my X. They were less expensive and get 10k more miles. But, I lost about 5 to 7% range. So, I am considering going back to the Continental for the range efficiency based on having a 90Kwhr battery. The extra range can come in handy at times.

IMHO do not own a Tesla off warranty, especially 2016. This car may LOOK like 2017, 2018 etc models, but it’s a totally different car. I am talking 4-5 generations of various parts. Lately, Tesla started to nickel and dime customers for repairs, diagnostics, etc even if under warranty. You are likely to get these eye watering bills at some point (AC failures, half shafts, etc). Just my 0.02.

• Informative
Reactions: XCare EV
Happy to help with some free information and advice. I drive a Model X, worked for Tesla for many years, and have experience both with Tesla warranty and XCare to share. Hit me up and I'm happy to get you info and some quotes based on your needs. Cheers, Brent [email protected] xcelerateauto.com/x-care

I'm in the market for a warranty but I am not sure what to make of your warranty exclusions and marketing. Are the leaking falcon wing doors because of failing weatherstripping not covered? What part of the air suspension is covered?

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.46.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.47.21 PM.png

Reactions: KentuckyX
I would also ask, does the warranty cover the issues X owners are seeing with the front CV failing prematurely? Or, is that considered a "wear"/"maintenance" item?
I'm in the market for a warranty but I am not sure what to make of your warranty exclusions and marketing. Are the leaking falcon wing doors because of failing weatherstripping not covered? What part of the air suspension is covered?

View attachment 651282View attachment 651281
We cover electronics, Falcon Wing Door drive motors/assist springs/sensors. We do not cover weather stripping or leaks, this is considered wear items. We do cover all suspension and drive components outside of the drive motors, so half shafts/CV joints/control arms are covered. email me for a copy of the contract for a deeper dive [email protected]

We cover electronics, Falcon Wing Door drive motors/assist springs/sensors. We do not cover weather stripping or leaks, this is considered wear items. We do cover all suspension and drive components outside of the drive motors, so half shafts/CV joints/control arms are covered. email me for a copy of the contract for a deeper dive [email protected]

that's where I am confused. I pulled the above info from your website. how can you tell me you cover all suspension, yet the contract itself directly contradicts that?