TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

To chademo or not to chademo

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by MichFin, Jun 2, 2015.

1. MichFin

MichFin Member

I'm getting my 85D tomorrow and as the date approaches I'm thinking about what I need to get for it. I've been contemplating getting the chademo adapter but when I look on plugshare it seems where there is a chademo there usually is a super charger nearby. Also, would like to hear real world examples of mid-westerners experiences taking road trips.

Thanks

2. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

We are a little ways away from you but we drive through Kansas City monthly and it's 210 miles away. There are ChaDeMO on the way so we've been using them every time we go now so yes it is useful if you're circumstances dictate it.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Yea, really depends upon your needs and anticipated use. I purchased one and used it once (even though I didn't really have to). There are a lot of CHAdeMO in KC area and I travel there often and I'm hoping more Nissan dealers in my area get one that I can use in a pinch. But if you think you'll stay more urban and not do a lot of travel to non-Supercharger areas, it's probably not going to be of benefit to you.

4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Since there isn't a huge wait for the adapter anymore, I figured I'd wait until I actually needed one for a trip before I purchased. Still waiting to see if that ever happens. I'm guessing the Supercharger network buildout will outrace me. Your own circumstances may, of course, vary.

5. David99

David99 Active Member

It's definitely worth it. You will need it just here and there, but having access to fast charging will be a blessing when you need it. I used mine only a few times, but it was extremely useful and saved me a lot of time.

6. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

Plan on ordering one 3-4 weeks ahead of needing one. I just got delivery of mine today and I ordered it on May 11th.

7. RyanT

RyanT Member

I've used mine more than superchargers. We have a great CHAdeMO network here in the PNW though. It's $20/m unlimited uses and they're all over the place.

8. Dbitter1

Dbitter1 Journeyman Member

I bought one, and have yet to use it. I have, regretfully, used two of my Frankenplug collection... and I assure you that I'd drive out of my way to take a DCFC than watch the miles click up at a snails pace on L2 charging. There are options for free memberships (i.e. higher per-KW charge to charge from, but no monthly fees) for most of the nationwide networks (was hoping to do a post on that once I have those completed). If you are on the road enough to consider destination charging, I'd strongly recommend it.

I guess the only thing we have to consider is if the industry will ever get CCS going far enough to warrant an adapter for those too?

9. zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc Member

+1 to that. I paid for 2 day shipping on mine, yet it took 2 weeks for Tesla to ship mine. Three times I called and they told me it had been shipped, when it hadn't. Give it more time than you think to order one.

That being said, since they just installed a CHAdeMO charger near work, I plan on using mine often. It is a huge, clunky adapter, BTW.

10. David99

David99 Active Member

What network/company?

11. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I suspect not. Most new DCFC installations are multi-standard - they support both Chademo and CCS. And Nissan continues to support Chademo, while BMW and Mercedes are not actually funding CCS stations (at least in the US).

12. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

Aeroviroment.

13. vvanders

vvanders Member

Yeah, Oregon has some great coverage in places where the SC network isn't like along the coast. Kinda wish there was similar along the Olympic Peninsula.

14. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Awful damn pricey though. That is what stops me.

15. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

If you just want one as insurance for road trips, consider pitching in with some other local Model S owners to buy one together. FLDarren, Great Dane, Btrfly8e and I did just that. I have it at the moment and will pass it to Btrflyl8e tomorrow for her road trip to Boston.

16. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

I was persuaded to get one by simply browsing plugshare.com with only level 3 stations turned on for the map. Most anywhere one looks, (I look mainly along the east coast) there are several times as many CHAdeMO stations as superchargers, and they charge at up to half the speed, which is very much better than any alternative. As far as the cost is concerned, if you have considered or purchased a second onboard charger and-or an HPWC for charging at home, an adapter is a relatively minor expense in comparison, and delivers a lot more useful options.

17. TTT

TTT Member

Do all Nissan dealers provide use free of charge? Are they receptive to Tesla owners?

18. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

No, not all, even to Leaf owners. Yes/no. Each dealer is different. Call ahead and ask. In high use areas, I doubt they will be helpful. Out here in the sticks, our Nissan dealer has allowed several Teslas (only L2 here, no Chademo).

19. LLWS

LLWS Member

I decided to Chademo, because I never want to sit on an L2 Charger staring at a Chademo that would have me on my way, already.

I recognize my impatience, and value my time > a $450 one-time access fee.

20. GSP

GSP Member

Check out PlugShare to see if there are L3 chargers where you plan to drive. Michigan is a ChadeMo wasteland. Not much besides one Nissan Dealer in Ann Arbor.

GSP