Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To chademo or not to chademo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting my 85D tomorrow and as the date approaches I'm thinking about what I need to get for it. I've been contemplating getting the chademo adapter but when I look on plugshare it seems where there is a chademo there usually is a super charger nearby. Also, would like to hear real world examples of mid-westerners experiences taking road trips.

Thanks

Yea, really depends upon your needs and anticipated use. I purchased one and used it once (even though I didn't really have to). There are a lot of CHAdeMO in KC area and I travel there often and I'm hoping more Nissan dealers in my area get one that I can use in a pinch. But if you think you'll stay more urban and not do a lot of travel to non-Supercharger areas, it's probably not going to be of benefit to you.

Since there isn't a huge wait for the adapter anymore, I figured I'd wait until I actually needed one for a trip before I purchased. Still waiting to see if that ever happens. I'm guessing the Supercharger network buildout will outrace me. Your own circumstances may, of course, vary.

It's definitely worth it. You will need it just here and there, but having access to fast charging will be a blessing when you need it. I used mine only a few times, but it was extremely useful and saved me a lot of time.

Since there isn't a huge wait for the adapter anymore, I figured I'd wait until I actually needed one for a trip before I purchased. Still waiting to see if that ever happens. I'm guessing the Supercharger network buildout will outrace me. Your own circumstances may, of course, vary.

Plan on ordering one 3-4 weeks ahead of needing one. I just got delivery of mine today and I ordered it on May 11th.

I bought one, and have yet to use it. I have, regretfully, used two of my Frankenplug collection... and I assure you that I'd drive out of my way to take a DCFC than watch the miles click up at a snails pace on L2 charging. There are options for free memberships (i.e. higher per-KW charge to charge from, but no monthly fees) for most of the nationwide networks (was hoping to do a post on that once I have those completed). If you are on the road enough to consider destination charging, I'd strongly recommend it.

I guess the only thing we have to consider is if the industry will ever get CCS going far enough to warrant an adapter for those too?

Plan on ordering one 3-4 weeks ahead of needing one. I just got delivery of mine today and I ordered it on May 11th.

+1 to that. I paid for 2 day shipping on mine, yet it took 2 weeks for Tesla to ship mine. Three times I called and they told me it had been shipped, when it hadn't. Give it more time than you think to order one.

That being said, since they just installed a CHAdeMO charger near work, I plan on using mine often. It is a huge, clunky adapter, BTW.

I guess the only thing we have to consider is if the industry will ever get CCS going far enough to warrant an adapter for those too?

I suspect not. Most new DCFC installations are multi-standard - they support both Chademo and CCS. And Nissan continues to support Chademo, while BMW and Mercedes are not actually funding CCS stations (at least in the US).

If you just want one as insurance for road trips, consider pitching in with some other local Model S owners to buy one together. FLDarren, Great Dane, Btrfly8e and I did just that. I have it at the moment and will pass it to Btrflyl8e tomorrow for her road trip to Boston.

I was persuaded to get one by simply browsing plugshare.com with only level 3 stations turned on for the map. Most anywhere one looks, (I look mainly along the east coast) there are several times as many CHAdeMO stations as superchargers, and they charge at up to half the speed, which is very much better than any alternative. As far as the cost is concerned, if you have considered or purchased a second onboard charger and-or an HPWC for charging at home, an adapter is a relatively minor expense in comparison, and delivers a lot more useful options.

Do all Nissan dealers provide use free of charge? Are they receptive to Tesla owners?
No, not all, even to Leaf owners. Yes/no. Each dealer is different. Call ahead and ask. In high use areas, I doubt they will be helpful. Out here in the sticks, our Nissan dealer has allowed several Teslas (only L2 here, no Chademo).

I'm getting my 85D tomorrow and as the date approaches I'm thinking about what I need to get for it. I've been contemplating getting the chademo adapter but when I look on plugshare it seems where there is a chademo there usually is a super charger nearby. Also, would like to hear real world examples of mid-westerners experiences taking road trips.

Thanks

Check out PlugShare to see if there are L3 chargers where you plan to drive. Michigan is a ChadeMo wasteland. Not much besides one Nissan Dealer in Ann Arbor.

GSP