Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Creep or Not to Creep?

Do you have Creep on?

• Yes

Votes: 55 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 83 57.6%
  • I toggle back and forth depending on my mood

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have creep turned on, does it function just like an ICE?
Like an ICE with an automatic transmission. Yes.

I would be terrified that if I had creep turned off in traffic and I just let off the break to accelerate a few more feet, the guy behind me not paying attention might think traffic in front of me is clearing up and he'd plow right into the back of me. Is this an irrational fear?
Anyone driving a manual transmission vehicle has the exact same brake light pattern.

/like
Is there an original quote you pulled this from?

I've read it or variations of it--(e.g. no fear is silly...) in several books but not as quotes. Two I can recall quickly are the second book of the Phule series (can't recall the exact name), and Bride of the Rat God but there are a number of others.

personally, i very much like creep. i tried with it off for a bit, but i like being able to inch forward at stop lights and signs, parking and in traffic without moving my foot to another pedal. works very well for me. actually surprised how many people keep it off. chacun á son goût.

This was me, and I'm also surprised at how many people keep creep off. I will probably try it for a couple of weeks and see if I get used to it or like it. Hill hold would help because I use a steep exit ramp daily.

Well, my previous comment was rather embarrassing. I've even drove a manual transmission for about ten years. I guess I really didn't think through that before I posted it. Makes perfect sense. Most definitely a fear not based in reality, hence, irrational :biggrin:

I've always driven a manual and thought for sure I would have creep off, but I find I like it on. Without a clutch to feather for power control, I find I prefer not having to make minute throttle pushes at very slow speeds (parking, bumper to bumper). I'd have been fine without creep, but I do have a slight preference for creep on.

I still find myself slamming my left foot on the footrest for the phantom clutch at times. Too many years of ingrained habit.

I've noticed on steep hills with creep off the throttle applies power in a slightly rough manner. I usually cannot find the precise amount of power to hold my position. I am all ways able to find the precise position on the roadster. It has very smooth application. I would very much like hill hold. I might even like "reverse hill hold" so I would never need to use my brakes!

I've noticed on steep hills with creep off the throttle applies power in a slightly rough manner. I usually cannot find the precise amount of power to hold my position. I am all ways able to find the precise position on the roadster. It has very smooth application. I would very much like hill hold. I might even like "reverse hill hold" so I would never need to use my brakes!

Hill hold = a tiny bit of regen, no?

Millions of manual transmission ICE cars behave just like the Model S without creep.

....but manual transmission cars never had creep....

Actually manuals do creep, that's why they have a clutch pedal to stop the car moving forward (unless you select neutral).

- - - Updated - - -

I drive most of the time with creep off just because everything for hundreds of miles around here is so flat and I don't have to sit at the lights with my foot on the brakes. That said, it's nicer to have on if I'm in a multi-story car park or such like. Not sure what I would do if I lived any place there were lots of hill starts.

I leave mine in creep, because it gives me another indication that I am going in the direction I intend to go. I know there have been a few times when I have put the car in forward when I really wanted to go in reverse. In my garage that could mean the difference of hitting the front wall or not. With creep the car will slowly start moving in the direction I want to go with my foot just barely off the brake. If I made a mistake, I can quickly put my foot back on the brake. Without creep, my foot is on the accelerator and it takes a bit more time and effort to stop in time.
Other than that I probably would go without creep.

I leave Creep Mode OFF just like others who game from a manual transmission car.

I wish Creep mode can be turned ON/OFF when the car is in Drive mode. At least for my current software version (1.19.27) and previous versions, the car has to be in Park to change this setting.

I still find myself slamming my left foot on the footrest for the phantom clutch at times. Too many years of ingrained habit.

While test driving my right hand kept reaching out wildly for the stick whenever I wanted to accelerate. I think there's a market for an opportunity console with a fake shifter. Maybe it can control fake engine noise in the speakers or something....

My street is steeply crowned, and parking spaces are typically tight (especially for a car as large as the MS). Typically requires 3 or 4 forward/backs to get in or out of a spot, relying on centimeter clearances front and back. I was having a hard time in those conditions keeping just the right level of thrust.
+1. And you have to jump back and forth between the brake and accelerator that takes time. W/ creep on you can just drag the brake. If the car worked like a Segway and once you let off the throttle did an immediate regen to zero, then I'd can creep. But as it is I agree w/ RB that parallel parking is a pain w/o it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hill hold = a tiny bit of regen, no?
Unfortunately, the kind of motor that Tesla uses is not very good at "holding" a position like a Segway (which uses permanent magnets) and so they will likely use the e-brake to accomplish the hill hold function.

When I started driving my MS, I used creep all the time. But the thing that bugged me was having to brake at low speeds to overpower the creep.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but it would seem the easiest solution to creep complaints is for it to be enabled only if you've been stopped and the last pedal pressed is the brake. Once you step on the accelerator, there's no need for the function anymore until you stop.

Anyway, after driving a couple weeks, I turn it off and decided I like it better. No more creep for me.