Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To D or not to D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm no expert on the technical details, but I have owned and driven quite a few performance cars over the years. I also test drove both an 85 and an 85D prior to purchase. The D felt hands down better handling. It just felt more precise, and easier - like a smaller, lighter car when pushed hard. Add to that better range and faster acceleration than than the 85 and the choice for me was easy, and worth the extra money.

'The extra weight of AWD (in the case of the Tesla D, a whopping 132kgs sitting right on the front axle) means that braking, initial turn in speed, mid corning speed and the turning circle is usually always worse than a comparable RWD car.
There is a myth among some people that AWD somehow makes you corner and/or stop faster. This is not true. Also the comment suggesting to get a D if you want to track the car is questionable. Most track/race cars are RWD."

So if the extra 132kg motor over the front makes everything worse than a comparable ice car as you suggest, then the 300kg ice motor in the same location on an ice car must make that worse than a tesla.
Also maybe explain your patently wrong theory on all wheel drive being inferior to audi sometime. Their quattro cars clearly handle better in all circumstances.
You may also find that race cars are not all wheel drive because the rules of the formula ban them due to the superior handling making a massive disadvantage for two wheel drive cars.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm no expert on the technical details, but I have owned and driven quite a few performance cars over the years. I also test drove both an 85 and an 85D prior to purchase. The D felt hands down better handling. It just felt more precise, and easier - like a smaller, lighter car when pushed hard. Add to that better range and faster acceleration than than the 85 and the choice for me was easy, and worth the extra money.
somehow I don't think Googie has done that. The differences are very obvious, but that my no means suggests a non D tesla is a slouch.

'The extra weight of AWD (in the case of the Tesla D, a whopping 132kgs sitting right on the front axle) means that braking, initial turn in speed, mid corning speed and the turning circle is usually always worse than a comparable RWD car.
There is a myth among some people that AWD somehow makes you corner and/or stop faster. This is not true. Also the comment suggesting to get a D if you want to track the car is questionable. Most track/race cars are RWD."

So if the extra 132kg motor over the front makes everything worse than a comparable ice car as you suggest, then the 300kg ice motor in the same location on an ice car must make that worse than a tesla.
Also maybe explain your patently wrong theory on all wheel drive being inferior to audi sometime. Their quattro cars clearly handle better in all circumstances.
You may also find that race cars are not all wheel drive because the rules of the formula ban them due to the superior handling making a massive disadvantage for two wheel drive cars.

- - - Updated - - -

somehow I don't think Googie has done that. The differences are very obvious, but that my no means suggests a non D tesla is a slouch.

You have not read my comment properly.

I mentioned the extra weight of AWD compared to a comparable RWD car not to a comparable ice car. Why have you inserted the ice car? Your mention of a 300KG motor in a ice car compared to a Tesla has no relevance as I am not comparing electric to ice at all. I am merely comparing AWD/4WD to RWD

Thiking of Audi - reputation for numb steering feel and understeer biased handling......but moving on, I looked at a Audi A4 once and the Quattro version of this 1.8T model had boosted turbo, bigger brakes and stiffer + lowered suspension compared to the non Quattro version. Any handling improvements would've come from the suspension/ brake/tyres upgrades NOT from the addition of AWD in isolation. The addition of AWD in isolation does not improve handling overall. Nice of Audi to use Quattro as a marketing gimmick but meanwhile BMW as a general rule produces better handling cars with RWD and the best handling Porsche, the GT2 has the AWD system removed over the Turbo model to improve handling and produce quicker lap times.

For racing: in rallying yes, AWD superior due to the low traction surfaces. For tarmac tracks, no AWD is not a advantage. It is a disadvantage except in the wet. For formula 1, explain to me how they could possibly fit a differential between the front and rear? There is no space at all on a modern F1 car. Plus they're paranoid above every gram of weight so they would not want to put a significant amount on for a bit of extra motive traction which would make no difference over the 100km/h+ speeds they travel at anyway.
Nissan GTR/ Mitsu Evo etc do well with AWD but have special torque vectoring which is ultra rare and there are other two wheel drive cars that can match their handling prowess anyway (albeit at a typically higher price).

I have tracked cars, all two wheel drive and never did they lose traction on the racetrack as a result of excess motive power. AWD ONLY provides a advantage when motive power is/can overwhelm two driven wheels.

Their quattro cars clearly handle better in all circumstances

Ok, please provide me answer to the question below using your quote for reference. Hopefully if you think about the answer, this will help explain why AWD does not provide better braking or cornering than RWD.

Let's say you approach a corner and put the car in Neutral. You did this is a AWD car and then later in a 2WD car that are otherwise identical in all specifications except that the AWD car carries more weight.
You brake as hard as you can for the corner, then enter and roll through the corner as fast as the car can take it.
With the cars in neutral the drive systems are completely disengaged from the wheels thus both cars are 0WD (zero wheel drive)

[note that with the cars left in gear the result would be the same as you do not press the accelerator when braking into a corner however I thought this analogy might explain it better.]

So how would the AWD car brake better than the 2WD one and how would it hold a better speed through the corner? Keep in mind that the drive system in either is not being used.

You guys are either suffering from placebo or are confusing faster acceleration & improved motive traction with cornering and braking ability.

You have not read my comment properly.

I mentioned the extra weight of AWD compared to a comparable RWD car not to a comparable ice car. Why have you inserted the ice car? Your mention of a 300KG motor in a ice car compared to a Tesla has no relevance as I am not comparing electric to ice at all. I am merely comparing AWD/4WD to RWD

Thiking of Audi - reputation for numb steering feel and understeer biased handling......but moving on, I looked at a Audi A4 once and the Quattro version of this 1.8T model had boosted turbo, bigger brakes and stiffer + lowered suspension compared to the non Quattro version. Any handling improvements would've come from the suspension/ brake/tyres upgrades NOT from the addition of AWD in isolation. The addition of AWD in isolation does not improve handling overall. Nice of Audi to use Quattro as a marketing gimmick but meanwhile BMW as a general rule produces better handling cars with RWD and the best handling Porsche, the GT2 has the AWD system removed over the Turbo model to improve handling and produce quicker lap times.

For racing: in rallying yes, AWD superior due to the low traction surfaces. For tarmac tracks, no AWD is not a advantage. It is a disadvantage except in the wet. For formula 1, explain to me how they could possibly fit a differential between the front and rear? There is no space at all on a modern F1 car. Plus they're paranoid above every gram of weight so they would not want to put a significant amount on for a bit of extra motive traction which would make no difference over the 100km/h+ speeds they travel at anyway.
Nissan GTR/ Mitsu Evo etc do well with AWD but have special torque vectoring which is ultra rare and there are other two wheel drive cars that can match their handling prowess anyway (albeit at a typically higher price).

I have tracked cars, all two wheel drive and never did they lose traction on the racetrack as a result of excess motive power. AWD ONLY provides a advantage when motive power is/can overwhelm two driven wheels.

Ok, please provide me answer to the question below using your quote for reference. Hopefully if you think about the answer, this will help explain why AWD does not provide better braking or cornering than RWD.

Let's say you approach a corner and put the car in Neutral. You did this is a AWD car and then later in a 2WD car that are otherwise identical in all specifications except that the AWD car carries more weight.
You brake as hard as you can for the corner, then enter and roll through the corner as fast as the car can take it.
With the cars in neutral the drive systems are completely disengaged from the wheels thus both cars are 0WD (zero wheel drive)

[note that with the cars left in gear the result would be the same as you do not press the accelerator when braking into a corner however I thought this analogy might explain it better.]

So how would the AWD car brake better than the 2WD one and how would it hold a better speed through the corner? Keep in mind that the drive system in either is not being used.

You guys are either suffering from placebo or are confusing faster acceleration & improved motive traction with cornering and braking ability.
ummm, you raise f1, you said no race cars lose traction as a result of excess power - clearly you havnt read the f1 rules that clearly ban awd, clearly you havn't watched an f1 race in the last two years and seen the hybrid cars loosing traction (you mention you have tracked all races and never seen a 2wd lose traction at speeds in excess of 200kmh due to two much power (in some cases spectacularly), and clearly you havn't driven a tesla D car alongside a non D.

Also, one doesn't coast around a corner in any tesla, you drive around, in gear, on throttle, the entire way. You slow any tesla with regen, not brakes. Hence your neutral analogy is not relevant. Also you might care to note that the 85D has a smaller motor at the rear, making it and the 70D the only tesla that has the much covetted perfect weight balance. The 85 has a heavier rear motor, and the p85d heavier again. You are a mug if you think you coast around a corner off throttle in a tesla. Its not how they work, any of them.

Further, I can assure you that too much throttle around a corner in an 85 will cause you to lose the rear. Hence you drive the corner slower. The D car on the other hand, feel free to give it heaps with the right foot. The added traction allows far quicker cornering. The difference is very noticable. Take a test drive!

Last edited:
IMHO vehicle mass and tyre spec are the most significant factors in 'handling'. After that there are many many small things that play a part. AWD gives a distinct advantage under power, and as ray correctly states we are mostly on the throttle when driving our MS's, whatever their flavour.

I chose a P85D because it was the fastest MS I could buy. See you at the lights googie, bring any rwd car you like!

Moderators note:
Please avoid name calling when you don't agree with another posters opinion.
Moderator hat off.
I think the misunderstanding may come from driving on the road versus on a track. On a public road, even when 'pushing' you car hard you still have to account for other traffic and unexpected events so you will rarely got to the physical limits of the automobile if at all, in those circumstances it's likely the D will feel more secure and stable to a driver particularly in wet conditions. On a track, driven by a suitably skilled driver the physical limits of the tyres, suspension and weight balance of the vehicle will come into play and it's at that point where Googie's theory may have merit. That's just my opinion, but it's an indication you could be arguing about different things making the name calling unnecessary.

Last edited:
I hope my previous comment was not mis-interpreted, all opinions are welcome including Googie's.
As the moderator I am more likely to take action to name calling and unwelcoming comments than opinions I don't agree with.

When waiting for my car to be made, I could have delayed and waited for an 85D and was more tempted by the greater efficiency but having waited more than 2 years already I stayed with the 85.
I have made the rear end step out a couple of times but it was wet in both cases and I was using a large amount of throttle.

Last edited:
ummm, you raise f1, you said no race cars lose traction as a result of excess power - clearly you havnt read the f1 rules that clearly ban awd, clearly you havn't watched an f1 race in the last two years and seen the hybrid cars loosing traction (you mention you have tracked all races and never seen a 2wd lose traction at speeds in excess of 200kmh due to two much power (in some cases spectacularly), and clearly you havn't driven a tesla D car alongside a non D.

Also, one doesn't coast around a corner in any tesla, you drive around, in gear, on throttle, the entire way. You slow any tesla with regen, not brakes. Hence your neutral analogy is not relevant. Also you might care to note that the 85D has a smaller motor at the rear, making it and the 70D the only tesla that has the much covetted perfect weight balance. The 85 has a heavier rear motor, and the p85d heavier again. You are a mug if you think you coast around a corner off throttle in a tesla. Its not how they work, any of them.

Further, I can assure you that too much throttle around a corner in an 85 will cause you to lose the rear. Hence you drive the corner slower. The D car on the other hand, feel free to give it heaps with the right foot. The added traction allows far quicker cornering. The difference is very noticable. Take a test drive!

Again Paulp, you failed to read my comment properly.

I said I tracked cars and didn't lose traction as a result of excess power as is the correct method of driving cars around a dry tarmac track as quickly as possible. You feed the power on at the apex as the car stabilises out of the corner.

I did not say that F1 cars race cars don't lose traction. Nor did I say I have "tracked all races" (whatever that means), nor did I say I have never seen a 2WD lose traction. I've no idea where you came up with the figure of 200km\h.

I don't watch F1 but I do understand the physics and mechanics involved. They rely on special aerodynamic downforce onto the huge rear racing tyres for grip. Lightweight for speed and agility. AWD would not be practical as the weight disadvantage would not be made up for in traction. The same applies, to a lesser extent, to touring car racing.

Let me try and explain again:

A car is only two wheel drive or four wheel drive when drive power is actually going to those given wheels. When there is no power going to the wheels such as under braking, it is essentially zero wheel drive. The car is just rolling on four wheels.

Regardless of whether you are slowing down with regen, ICE overrun or disc brakes, when you are braking the car it is zero wheel drive. ICE overun or regen can play a part in the braking effort however it cannot shorten the best stopping distance as that is determined by the traction available (except during brake fade). So the fitement of AWD/4WD does cannot improve the shorted possible braking distances as AWD/4WDt is not in use under braking. The extra weight actually of AWD/4WD will actually increase braking distances.

Now, onto the corners. I'm completely perplexed at your driving method of going "around, in gear, on throttle, the entire way.". You do not slow down for corners? At all? You go into corners with the throttle on the entire way around? (????) OK THEN......

Moving onto a real situation, normal people will lift off the throttle on approach to a corner, apply brake, lift off the brake, turn into the corner (last two steps often blended together). Then AFTER having turned into the corner, feed the power on at about the apex point. Up until you feed the power on, which is about half way through the corner you do not press the throttle. Thus up until that point the car is again, essentially a zero wheel drive so AWD/4WD is not assisting in anyway except to add weight which again makes it harder for the car to turn the corner (simple physics).

You can coast around a corner in any car as long as you aren't going too fast. I've no idea why you think that is not possible.

Too much throttle on the EXIT of a corner will often cause the rear the step out on a RWD car, so you are half correct there however the correct method is to feed the power on as the car stabilises from the corner. so when driving properly, even when going as fast as possible, the rear will not step out. This is where AWD usually has a advantage as you can typically feed the power on earlier and harder. But two wheel drive as I've already pointed out several times, has the advantage on the braking, entry and apex of a corner. In those sections, as I've said over and over, AWD/4wd has absolutely no advantage at all and is actually at a disadvantage due to the extra weight.

You are obviously either a total idiot or an anti Tesla troll - please climb back into your cave.

Ray?

Honestly, all of thise is 100%:

- Tesla motors are mounted on the axle not underneath! I provided a image showing this. If you do not understand this, perhaps you should open the frunk of a D and compare the space to a non D. That loss of space above the axle in the D is due to?
- ICE 4WD systems are normally "balanced" by a centre diff which is mechanically locked with a 50% (or similar) split front/rear. No brakes are used (how could 4WDs get up sand dunes or cross rivers with the brakes coming on?)!
- I searched but cannot find any literature stating that dual motor Tesla's get upgraded brakes over single motor models. I asked politely for you to reference this claim.

I am not a anti Tesla troll. I have not said a single word against Tesla. I am a supporter. All I've done is point out incorrect information. I never thought I'd come on here and actually be dispelling myths about ICE cars (brakes for 4WD systems!) Very disappointing.

Again Paulp, you failed to read my comment properly.

I said I tracked cars and didn't lose traction as a result of excess power as is the correct method of driving cars around a dry tarmac track as quickly as possible. You feed the power on at the apex as the car stabilises out of the corner.

I did not say that F1 cars race cars don't lose traction. Nor did I say I have "tracked all races" (whatever that means), nor did I say I have never seen a 2WD lose traction. I've no idea where you came up with the figure of 200km\h.

I don't watch F1 but I do understand the physics and mechanics involved. They rely on special aerodynamic downforce onto the huge rear racing tyres for grip. Lightweight for speed and agility. AWD would not be practical as the weight disadvantage would not be made up for in traction. The same applies, to a lesser extent, to touring car racing.

Let me try and explain again:

A car is only two wheel drive or four wheel drive when drive power is actually going to those given wheels. When there is no power going to the wheels such as under braking, it is essentially zero wheel drive. The car is just rolling on four wheels.

Regardless of whether you are slowing down with regen, ICE overrun or disc brakes, when you are braking the car it is zero wheel drive. ICE overun or regen can play a part in the braking effort however it cannot shorten the best stopping distance as that is determined by the traction available (except during brake fade). So the fitement of AWD/4WD does cannot improve the shorted possible braking distances as AWD/4WDt is not in use under braking. The extra weight actually of AWD/4WD will actually increase braking distances.

Now, onto the corners. I'm completely perplexed at your driving method of going "around, in gear, on throttle, the entire way.". You do not slow down for corners? At all? You go into corners with the throttle on the entire way around? (????) OK THEN......

Moving onto a real situation, normal people will lift off the throttle on approach to a corner, apply brake, lift off the brake, turn into the corner (last two steps often blended together). Then AFTER having turned into the corner, feed the power on at about the apex point. Up until you feed the power on, which is about half way through the corner you do not press the throttle. Thus up until that point the car is again, essentially a zero wheel drive so AWD/4WD is not assisting in anyway except to add weight which again makes it harder for the car to turn the corner (simple physics).

You can coast around a corner in any car as long as you aren't going too fast. I've no idea why you think that is not possible.

Too much throttle on the EXIT of a corner will often cause the rear the step out on a RWD car, so you are half correct there however the correct method is to feed the power on as the car stabilises from the corner. so when driving properly, even when going as fast as possible, the rear will not step out. This is where AWD usually has a advantage as you can typically feed the power on earlier and harder. But two wheel drive as I've already pointed out several times, has the advantage on the braking, entry and apex of a corner. In those sections, as I've said over and over, AWD/4wd has absolutely no advantage at all and is actually at a disadvantage due to the extra weight.

Ray?

Honestly, all of thise is 100%:

- Tesla motors are mounted on the axle not underneath! I provided a image showing this. If you do not understand this, perhaps you should open the frunk of a D and compare the space to a non D. That loss of space above the axle in the D is due to?
- ICE 4WD systems are normally "balanced" by a centre diff which is mechanically locked with a 50% (or similar) split front/rear. No brakes are used (how could 4WDs get up sand dunes or cross rivers with the brakes coming on?)!
- I searched but cannot find any literature stating that dual motor Tesla's get upgraded brakes over single motor models. I asked politely for you to reference this claim.

I am not a anti Tesla troll. I have not said a single word against Tesla. I am a supporter. All I've done is point out incorrect information. I never thought I'd come on here and actually be dispelling myths about ICE cars (brakes for 4WD systems!) Very disappointing.

Googie go drive a tesla and you will understand that you dont lift off the throttle completely during cornering, that you dont coast and rarely do you brake. Until then you are putting youself out as significantly ill informed. You talk about normal people techniques for cornering....well normal people actually drive a car before making ill-informed comment. Go for a drive. You will be reformed. You will then understand my comment on cornering. You will be embarressed.
Clearly you are also ill informed on f1, so maybe watch some recent races before comment. They are hybrids these days, and lose traction at all speeds due to wheel spin, including at 200kmh.
The problem with making grossly ill-informed comment, is that everything else you go on about lacks credibility.
I re-itterate, go test drive a tesla, until you have, you have not got a clue about a tesla's dynamics. Comparing it to ice car handling is silly, and do some frunk research, there is another important part taking up the space, but I'm sure your expertise will help you determine what that is.
.....and learn how to write shorter posts.

Last edited:
Googie go drive a tesla and you will understand that you dont lift off the throttle completely during cornering, that you dont coast and rarely do you brake. Until then you are putting youself out as significantly ill informed. You talk about normal people techniques for cornering....well normal people actually drive a car before making ill-informed comment. Go for a drive. You will be reformed. You will then understand my comment on cornering. You will be embarressed.
Clearly you are also ill informed on f1, so maybe watch some recent races before comment. They are hybrids these days, and lose traction at all speeds due to wheel spin, including at 200kmh.
The problem with making grossly ill-informed comment, is that everything else you go on about lacks credibility.
I re-itterate, go test drive a tesla, until you have, you have not got a clue about a tesla's dynamics. Comparing it to ice car handling is silly, and do some frunk research, there is another important part taking up the space, but I'm sure your expertise will help you determine what that is.
.....and learn how to write shorter posts.
I suggest you don't answer him and with a bit of luck he'll go away.

Have you not heard of Newton's Laws of Motion?

The more weight you have to stop, the harder it is to stop. Simple physics. Hence it is harder to stop weightier AWD vehicles compared to a lighter two wheel drive/dual motor when all else is equal. The same applies entering corners whether you enter on the throttle, under brakes, coasting or regen.

If you've read my comments you'd have seen that I have driven one. It had to obeys the same laws of physics as any other car.

I've no idea what laws Ray is using with the mysterious ICE 4WD system that is "balanced" by brakes.

Tesla-Model-S-P85D-Chassis.jpg
vgef_2015_the_future_of_transportation_jb_straub.jpg

Both of these are from official Tesla presentations.

The front motor is clearly above the axle. How am I "significantly ill informed"?

It's been entertaining (not) but I think this thread should be about helping potential buyers in a decision making process. It reminds me now of a saying I had when I was a hippy kid - 'Fighting for peace is like f---ing for chastity' - I not quite sure why?

Which is exactly why I decided to chip in.

A 132kg extra weight sitting above the front axle is not going to give you better handling or braking.

It is as plain as day that the front motor sits above the axle (but even if it were below, it'd still be detrimental even ignoring the fact that it would scrape the road).

Here is Elon Musk presenting it from Tesla's official youtube channel (in case someone thinks I doctored those earlier images):

Tesla Unveils Dual Motor and Autopilot - YouTube

So anyone doing the 'D or not to D' process, do not give the D brownie points for better braking or handling. Acceleration however is a pointer.

D:
Acceleration? Yes.
Brakes? No
Handling? No