Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To de-chrome or not to de-chrome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appointment tomorrow at Vinyl Styles in San Carlos, CA to de-chrome my Model S and put a carbon fiber wrap on the nosecone.

Now having some second thougths about looking "tricked out"

Do people think that dechroming in flat brushed black gives the car an understated look?

Thoughts?

I have an appointment tomorrow at Vinyl Styles in San Carlos, CA to de-chrome my Model S and put a carbon fiber wrap on the nosecone.

Do people think that dechroming in flat brushed black gives the car an understated look?

Thoughts?

I actually like the chrome on the MS as it gives off a nice accent especially at night.

Reactions: Astraviel
like most things....a matter of personal preference. I had Lyle do my chrome with the brushed metal black. I wasn't planning on doing the nose cone, but after you showed me a picture of it wrapped in carbon, I jumped on board. Really glad now that I did too. With the number of MS's in the Bay area growing, your car will definitely stand out more. I've gotten a ton of comments....none being negative. (then again, must people I know won't hate on your 100k car)

I wasn't put off by the chrome originally. I'm still not, but after I got the gunmetal Rial Luganos, I definitely like the darker look with my blue paint. I purchased some Plastidip spray, and when the weather warms up, I am going to "black out" my chrome. If I like the look, I am going to get the chrome professionally "blacked out." I'm also going to Plastidip my stock 19" wheels to see if I would like a darker powder coating.

Hey, for less than $10, you can get Plastidip and experiment.

Obviously it's all about personal preference. Some folks are completely against chrome on general principle and tolerate none at all. That being said, my opinion is that the chrome that comes with the car is not too much and adds nice accents to the lines and play of light off the car. I don't care for the completely de-chromed look. After all, you're a doctor, not a drug dealer.

Thoughts?

I dechromed to a matte black, and I love it, and get tons of complements. I also did the whole body in a matte wrap on my green, which I am sure most of the complements are for. But I personally do not like the chrome on the dark colors.

(link to a thread with pictures is in my signature)

The deed is done. I'm traveling but I'll upload better pics when I get home.
yra9uraq.jpg
vepubymy.jpg
my4yjyde.jpg