Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To deposit or not deposit, that is the question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
So...looking over the threads here I would assume the answer is "hell no, don't give them $50k, I'm still trying to get mine back".

But, I figured I'd ask just in case there's any other argument I'm not seeing. I'd likely be shaving off some TSLA to pay for it.

Has anyone received any special emails, info, secret handshakes, anything for their $50k? lol

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

So...looking over the threads here I would assume the answer is "hell no, don't give them $50k, I'm still trying to get mine back".

But, I figured I'd ask just in case there's any other argument I'm not seeing. I'd likely be shaving off some TSLA to pay for it.

Has anyone received any special emails, info, secret handshakes, anything for their $50k? lol

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Nope. Not even for the $250k Founder's deposit.

Reactions: phantasms
I would recommend it as a diversification strategy.

I expect $TSLA will be $600+ during the first year or two of Roadster production and that is when I will buy one. I leased a Model X P90D in March 2016 (leased since I knew the MobilEye AutoPilot would become obsolete, etc.). They started building it in January of that year (#417). Does anyone know the anticipated Roadster II production volumes? If $TSLA exceeds my price target, I'll be happy to wait until Roadster production has ramped. I will not buy a Roadster for cash but finance it since interest rates are so low it's better to stay invested in $TSLA, etc. It will be hard to decide whether to drive the Roadster II or CyberTruck tri-motor on any particular day! On some days I will be driving just for the fun of driving them with no particular reason to go anywhere...

I still have my first roadster, a classic ~$41K anthracite gray 1983 Mercedes 380 SL I bought when 23 in NJ for the investment tax credit. The only LCD on that car is the Becker radio frequency! I drove it across the USA that year to SF. I've kept it along with my ~$2,500 1983 Compaq "Portable" PC I bought for my software consulting practice. I guess I have trouble parting with things and need therapy to avoid becoming a hoader? :p

Not investment advice: I bought some BTC to diversify. It's a hedge against the slim chance of massive USA social and economic disruption and is readily convertible into any major currency. Just don't lose your bitcoin wallet keys! :eek:

I would not completely avoid a $50k deposit on a Tesla Roadster. What if Tesla decides to limit the total production of the Roadster to a maximum number that is not publicly known? I just visited Tesla yesterday before they closed and they said that the reservation guarantees you a VIN will be assigned to you when the vehicle finally enters production. They said that when they reach the maximum number of reservations based on how many Tesla Roadster 2020+ vehicles they plan to manufacture, they will take away the reservation link from the website and users will not be given the option to reserve a Roadster anymore. Therefore, I recommend reserving a Roadster for the $50k and investing the remaining $150k in TSLA if you're confident it will increase as they roll out the Cyber Truck and Semi. This will guarantee you a VIN with what might turn out to be a limited release vehicle.

Hard to say. Tesla also lowers car prices as well. Depending on if it’s qtr end, current stock, and federal rebates available previously.

But then this one is likely an exception to the rule.

With this like Plaid the Roadster is now seemingly a little overpriced by comparison.

Plaid overpriced? 9.2 @153 mph. No other production car beats it.

Like everything else in life getting that (say) extra 10% cost you way more than 10%.

3.1 sec $57k Model 3 Performance
3.1 sec $90k Model S
2.0 sec $130k Model S Plaid

M3S > MS is a huge price hike for basically the same speed. Sure different car. Different options. But the level of extreme performance is low compared to the price difference.

MS > MS Plaid is yet another large jump. Unless you're tracking the car the daily performance difference is certainly notable, more so than M3 to M3, but you pay for it.

Value for money M3P is amazing.

If you're talking hypercar money and performance MS Plaid is great value by comparison.

To each their own. Plaid has bragging rights and blows anything off the line. But yes, value for money it's overpriced. But the last bit is always more expensive. Compared to the roadster the Plaid makes much more sense.

Reactions: Mr X
Like everything else in life getting that (say) extra 10% cost you way more than 10%.

3.1 sec $57k Model 3 Performance
3.1 sec $90k Model S
2.0 sec $130k Model S Plaid

M3S > MS is a huge price hike for basically the same speed. Sure different car. Different options. But the level of extreme performance is low compared to the price difference.

MS > MS Plaid is yet another large jump. Unless you're tracking the car the daily performance difference is certainly notable, more so than M3 to M3, but you pay for it.

Value for money M3P is amazing.

If you're talking hypercar money and performance MS Plaid is great value by comparison.

To each their own. Plaid has bragging rights and blows anything off the line. But yes, value for money it's overpriced. But the last bit is always more expensive. Compared to the roadster the Plaid makes much more sense.

0-60 is poor metric to compare. It's all about the 1/4 mile time. And there is NO comparison in how they feel once you get above 60 mph....I've been in them all. Have you been in a Plaid?

0-60 is poor metric to compare. It's all about the 1/4 mile time. And there is NO comparison in how they feel once you get above 60 mph....I've been in them all. Have you been in a Plaid?

Yes, joyfully I have.

Regardless of good or poor metric, it was just one.

My point in general is you pay notably more then what you get less on the upper end.

Above a M3P the performance, regardless of metric / cost ratio starts to tip the other way.

If someone wants the best, there usually a high premium for it; like with many things in life.

Reactions: TorqueMonster
Yes, joyfully I have.

Regardless of good or poor metric, it was just one.

My point in general is you pay notably more then what you get less on the upper end.

Above a M3P the performance, regardless of metric / cost ratio starts to tip the other way.

If someone wants the best, there usually a high premium for it; like with many things in life.

I get it. But the there is just no other car that can offer performance like this at that price point. Taycan? 200k? When have you ever hear of a production car having a 60-130 mph in 4.6 seconds? That is astounding, exceptional, and down right freakish. The base cars you mentioned are a fantastic value, no doubt. But they feel very, very, VERY slow compared to a Plaid.

Reactions: SO16