Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To DIY or not to DIY? Front Camera Replacement: Fisheye and Narrow Cam Dropped Frames

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD with Enhanced Autopilot, and I often get the UI_a114 "Driving Visualization Temporarily Degraded" error whenever I leave my car out in the sun for longer than 20 minutes and ambient temperatures exceed 75 degrees F. This error disables the ENTIRE DAS (Driver Assistance System), which means no Autopilot, no emergency braking, no blind spot detection, no visualization on screen, not even cruise control is available.

THE PROBLEM: UI_a114 "Driving Visualization Temporarily Degraded"

In service mode, in the DAS menu, it shows this:
IMG_1620.jpg

THE CULPRIT: 2 cameras (Narrow and Fisheye) that overheat from direct sunlight. :/

I've been examining this problem for a while now and determined that it's excess heat caused by direct sunlight that causes the two cameras to fail. I conducted an experiment: I made a small sun shield with a suction cup to cover the triple camera and left in the sun for a few hours and sure enough, it worked! Obviously I shouldn't have to do that every time I leave it in the sun. Everything works fine in the morning and in the evening when sun exposure is low. I live in SoCal, so it gets sunny and hot often. Setting cabin overheat protection even at its lowest temperature setting doesn't help.

SOLUTION: Camera Replacement?
Tesla quoted me $200-$600, depending on what needs to be replaced plus $245/hr for labor.
I found some used triple cameras on eBay ranging from $65-$175. I took apart the camera section and I am confident I can change the part in about 30 minutes or less. :) Part number I found on the camera was (P)1132925-00-A. Do any of you kind folks know if any triple camera from 2017-2020 will work?

OR always park in the shade lol

THE QUESTION: Should I try replacing the camera myself and potentially save hundreds of dollars? OR should I pay Tesla Service $400-$800 for this reasonably simple repair? I can always return the used camera and take it in to service if it doesn't work.

Reactions: beachmiles
Solution
UPDATE: I FU@KING LOVE DIY

It seems that I have successfully solved the issue. This past weekend in SoCal was a bit warm and my previous cameras would have failed under such conditions. When looking for used cameras on eBay, I favorited one for $65 and the seller sent me an offer for $40 with free shipping, $44 with tax. I was skeptical about getting a camera at that price point, especially since it's an integral component to the car and my safety as well as others. Haha. BUT FORTY BUCKS!? Was the universe giving me a sign? I thought I'd be dumb to not get it, especially since they accepted returns. I figured, "why the hell not?" and took the gamble. After seeing a few videos on how to take off the trim near the cameras, I was more...
I disassembled my camera to clean the glass in front of it.

What should have been a simple job wasn't exactly simple. I really felt like something was going to break after I undid every fastener, especially the mirror.

It's absolutely doable for a home mechanic, but I feel like you have a non-zero chance of breaking some piece of trim.

Upvote 0
UPDATE - I successfully replaced the camera with a used one I got on eBay for $44.00!! The whole job was relatively easy, except for unplugging the camera itself. I broke one half of the two clips on the connectors, but the replacement camera still clipped in fine and everything is working, for now. I haven't been able to test out if the replacement camera will give me the same issue as before, since it's been cloudy in SoCal since I installed it three days ago. I NEED THE SUN!! Haha. To see if it worked or not. I'll do another update when it's hot and sunny in SoCal. But so far it's looking good. Crossing my fingers! I really want to say I saved hundreds by doing it myself. 😂

Reactions: jboy210 and afadeev
Upvote 0
UPDATE - I successfully replaced the camera with a used one I got on eBay for $44.00!! The whole job was relatively easy, except for unplugging the camera itself. I broke one half of the two clips on the connectors, but the replacement camera still clipped in fine and everything is working, for now. I haven't been able to test out if the replacement camera will give me the same issue as before, since it's been cloudy in SoCal since I installed it three days ago. I NEED THE SUN!! Haha. To see if it worked or not. I'll do another update when it's hot and sunny in SoCal. But so far it's looking good. Crossing my fingers! I really want to say I saved hundreds by doing it myself. 😂
I had my camera replaced and they said they needed to re align the camera at the service center

Reactions: MrFusion4
Upvote 0
I had my camera replaced and they said they needed to re align the camera at the service center

Although there is one adjustment point (maybe for angle?) on the cameras, I left it alone. Pretty sure I got an older Model 3 camera, before they made the Model Y. It's possible my camera was set to factory settings for a Model 3 and thus did not require realignment. The MY uses the same cameras as the M3, but since the MY's cameras sit about 7 inches higher it's possible those cameras are at a different angle than the M3.

The replacement camera I bought online has the same exact part number as my previous camera. I was trying to get a newer cam, but I guess I got the same part by mistake. I'm hoping my original camera was just defective. :/ When I turned on the car after completing the job I didn't get any warnings or notifications AT ALL. I don't think the car realized I replaced it. haha It didn't even ask to recalibrate the cameras, but I did it anyway. I drove on the Interstate 5 North from Anaheim and I had autopilot back after driving about 10 miles. Tesla suggests a 5 lane minimum highway and I think there were 6 or 7 lanes at certain points. I drove in the middle lanes, as suggested and before long, autopilot began working again. So far it's been working fine, so I know the replacement camera works as it should. I just need ambient temperatures to get hot again so I can see if it fixed the issue or not. haha THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!! 😭 But I'm loving the cool weather.

Reactions: chado
Upvote 0
Although there is one adjustment point (maybe for angle?) on the cameras, I left it alone. Pretty sure I got an older Model 3 camera, before they made the Model Y. It's possible my camera was set to factory settings for a Model 3 and thus did not require realignment. The MY uses the same cameras as the M3, but since the MY's cameras sit about 7 inches higher it's possible those cameras are at a different angle than the M3.

The replacement camera I bought online has the same exact part number as my previous camera. I was trying to get a newer cam, but I guess I got the same part by mistake. I'm hoping my original camera was just defective. :/ When I turned on the car after completing the job I didn't get any warnings or notifications AT ALL. I don't think the car realized I replaced it. haha It didn't even ask to recalibrate the cameras, but I did it anyway. I drove on the Interstate 5 North from Anaheim and I had autopilot back after driving about 10 miles. Tesla suggests a 5 lane minimum highway and I think there were 6 or 7 lanes at certain points. I drove in the middle lanes, as suggested and before long, autopilot began working again. So far it's been working fine, so I know the replacement camera works as it should. I just need ambient temperatures to get hot again so I can see if it fixed the issue or not. haha THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!! 😭 But I'm loving the cool weather.
Man if the front cam doesn't need to be calibrated I have no idea why I had to bring the car in now. They returned it with a scratch also which is exactly why I didn't want to bring it in the first place but such is life

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I FU@KING LOVE DIY

It seems that I have successfully solved the issue. This past weekend in SoCal was a bit warm and my previous cameras would have failed under such conditions. When looking for used cameras on eBay, I favorited one for $65 and the seller sent me an offer for $40 with free shipping, $44 with tax. I was skeptical about getting a camera at that price point, especially since it's an integral component to the car and my safety as well as others. Haha. BUT FORTY BUCKS!? Was the universe giving me a sign? I thought I'd be dumb to not get it, especially since they accepted returns. I figured, "why the hell not?" and took the gamble. After seeing a few videos on how to take off the trim near the cameras, I was more confident in doing the job, which took about 2 hours, only because I couldn't get the connection points off without breaking part of the little plastic tabs. In the end, everything worked out.

The replacement camera is working beautifully. Drove over 200 miles this weekend using autopilot during the day and at night and it's been great.

I can now say: "I SAVED $400-$800 BY DOING IT MYSELF!"

Screw Tesla Service. 😂

Upvote 0
Solution
I disassembled my camera to clean the glass in front of it.

What should have been a simple job wasn't exactly simple. I really felt like something was going to break after I undid every fastener, especially the mirror.

It's absolutely doable for a home mechanic, but I feel like you have a non-zero chance of breaking some piece of trim.
I noticed the glass in front of mine is looking pretty grungy. Did you find a tutorial for removing the trim, or just go at it with a set of trim tools?

Upvote 0