Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To do List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like there are a few "D" vin numbers hitting screens (not mine yet). But the time will pass quickly before there are a (insert appropriate collective noun , perhaps -Dazzle as in Zebra's or Drive as in Dragons) of D's hitting our shores, allegedly in a big batch. It would be great to hear from those who are lucky enough like Ray to already be enjoying his "plaisir de conduire", to help construct a to do list of things to consider in preparation.

What I have so far ...
* Book Opti coat
* paint protection film for the front for stone chips?, the top of the rear bumper for scuffs from loading? Above the door handles for ring scratches?
* Window Tinting. Side windows, Rear window ...
* Home wall charger. I will eventually need to use 3 phase charger at home (I have 3 phase power to the house) as maximum single phase current will be limited to around 25 amps due to capacity of the line in, without spending a lot of money.
* Floor mats. Does the car come with mats and are they good quality.
* Car jack? Telsa tire pump and goo? Tire plug repair kit? No room for a spare in the Frunk/Froot of a D.
* Membership cards for public charging.
* Centre Console. I like the Tesla one even if it is in piano black and not carbon fibre.
* Charging adaptors. What is the priority.

What other things did people find they needed or had to do after living with the car for a while.

I was also considering travelling to Sydney for the delivery and putting it on a truck to ship it home. It would certainly be more of an event than a truck turning up at home and having to drop it off on the road as it cannot turn at the end of our long steep 200m driveway. Would it be weird to take delivery and put it on a truck for the Sunshine Coast instead of driving it back, is that premature range anxiety.

thanks

Sounds like there are a few "D" vin numbers hitting screens (not mine yet). But the time will pass quickly before there are a (insert appropriate collective noun , perhaps -Dazzle as in Zebra's or Drive as in Dragons) of D's hitting our shores, allegedly in a big batch. It would be great to hear from those who are lucky enough like Ray to already be enjoying his "plaisir de conduire", to help construct a to do list of things to consider in preparation.

What I have so far ...
* Book Opti coat
* paint protection film for the front for stone chips?, the top of the rear bumper for scuffs from loading? Above the door handles for ring scratches?
* Window Tinting. Side windows, Rear window ...
* Home wall charger. I will eventually need to use 3 phase charger at home (I have 3 phase power to the house) as maximum single phase current will be limited to around 25 amps due to capacity of the line in, without spending a lot of money.
* Floor mats. Does the car come with mats and are they good quality.
* Car jack? Telsa tire pump and goo? Tire plug repair kit? No room for a spare in the Frunk/Froot of a D.
* Membership cards for public charging.
* Centre Console. I like the Tesla one even if it is in piano black and not carbon fibre.
* Charging adaptors. What is the priority.

What other things did people find they needed or had to do after living with the car for a while.

I was also considering travelling to Sydney for the delivery and putting it on a truck to ship it home. It would certainly be more of an event than a truck turning up at home and having to drop it off on the road as it cannot turn at the end of our long steep 200m driveway. Would it be weird to take delivery and put it on a truck for the Sunshine Coast instead of driving it back, is that premature range anxiety.

thanks
The MAIN thing is to get charging right; took me a while to even work out what I was doing.
Firstly: Need a second charger in the car - if not ordered in original order, need to ask Sydney to add one.
Secondly: Need a charger at home. I have a 40AMP Tesla provided one. That's OK for overnight charging. I think (if you have two chargers) they will give you a three phase one.
Thirdly: Work out travel charging. Marc who lives up near you seems to have that sussed.
The rest: Mats are OK, Tinting (max 35%), for white opti-coat is a bit of overkill. I have a Tesla pump (19" wheels) and don't think jack/spare required. Try it without the console for a bit.

Enjoy.

That is low is that what you have spare or your maximum normally it's 63amps per phase. even then you'll be able to get away with a 3phase evse turned down to 10amps per phase (7.2kW) maybe even 13amps per phase (9.3kW) and avoid doing anything crazy like charging on a hot day with your a/c running. the official Tesla 3 phase is still *coming soon* so your looking at 3rd party ones at the moment.

That is low is that what you have spare or your maximum normally it's 63amps per phase. even then you'll be able to get away with a 3phase evse turned down to 10amps per phase (7.2kW) maybe even 13amps per phase (9.3kW) and avoid doing anything crazy like charging on a hot day with your a/c running. the official Tesla 3 phase is still *coming soon* so your looking at 3rd party ones at the moment.

Our electrician, who is very familiar with the house, having done a rewiring for a renovation as well as installing the PV system has suggested 25amp as a safe limit on any one phase due to existing loads. I have a 25kw 3phase aircon, a 19kw 3 phase instant Hot water system, plus multiple ovens - induction cooktop - hot and cold zip tap, fridges ... (don't ask, she got the kitchen she wanted I got a Tesla, that is a fair deal in my book). A 10 amp per phase 3 phase feed to my workshop with a mix of 3 phase and single phase machinery and extractor system. Helping with this during the day, I have 19kw PV system split across 3 phases. He could move some loads around to get more capacity on one phase, but at the moment all three are fairly well balanced and hence it is easier just to go with a 3 phase charger when it is available.

yes that makes more sense 25amps per phase spare capacity I must of misread the original post, (6kW single phase or 18kW three phase). they aren't actually chargers but smart powerpoints they still send A/C power to your car which has an on board charger.

If you are doing window tinting to lower the heat load I wouldn't bother as the Model S comes standard with metallised film in the windows and Pano Roof which is very effective in reducing the heat load. I would spend the money on more paint protection film on the front of the car, the door mirrors and the front door sills where shoes leave marks when getting in and out.
The car comes with standard floor mats but the drivers mat does not have any heal pad and I am looking for a way to retrofit that to my drivers mat but haven't found a suitable solution yet, hopefully I will find it before I ware a hole in the mat.

If you are doing window tinting to lower the heat load I wouldn't bother as the Model S comes standard with metallised film in the windows and Pano Roof which is very effective in reducing the heat load. I would spend the money on more paint protection film on the front of the car, the door mirrors and the front door sills where shoes leave marks when getting in and out.
The car comes with standard floor mats but the drivers mat does not have any heal pad and I am looking for a way to retrofit that to my drivers mat but haven't found a suitable solution yet, hopefully I will find it before I ware a hole in the mat.
Being Queensland (as I am), I think the tint is needed to reduce the glare.

Insurance. I don't think and Australian insurers know what a D is yet so the first few guinea pigs may find it a more difficult process than normal.

I called a few places and could not get any coverage. As Ray suggested I called Youi and they did not have the P85D listed but did have the P85 and said they would use it scaled up for cost. $1100, but if the other cars moved to Youi it would come down to $990. I was with Youi a few years ago and happy with their service and price. I moved to Progressive with a friends recommendation and a better premium but they would not quote the Tesla.

In Sydney, main complaint i got from the trouble and strife was sun through the passenger window. So, i got window tinting to maximum legal. No further complaints. Happy wife, happy life!! Opticoat pro + makes car real easy to wash and keep clean and shiny. Not sure if all the cars are now coming standard with the HPWC AND the UMC with 10amp pigtail. Certainly all early deliveries got both, eventually. That will allow you to purchase other pigtails including 3 phase when they become available "soon". 3 Phase maximum with the UMC is 16 amps per phase. 32 amps max single phase. "real soon" we are supposed to be getting 3 phase wall connectors in exchange for the ones originally supplied. Still waiting...... after 4.5 years of waiting I should be used to that...
Alloygators I have found to be a godsend and essential. They have saved my wheels twice now. The last time was a 360 degree which i have fixed by sanding the gator smooth. They DO work.
The floor mats supplied are OK.
I do have a full tyre changing set including breaker bar and torque wrench, plus a Tesla 19in wheel and tyre. Also a 1300kg floor jack and timber wedges - that all fits in the froot. I have used some of this gear to install gators.
I also have an ARB tyre compressor and because it draws more power than the car can provide through the accessory port, i have a Jaycar power supply to suit. Compressor and power supply live in my garage and i use it for the other household cars and bicycles. This way, i never go to a filling station.
for fun, i have installed Tesla brand puddle lights in the bottom of the front doors - quite an easy modification which can be reversed, and it DOES give much more light than the OEM lights which are real dim. I also changed the number plate bulbs to LED supplied by Abstract Ocean. Dearer than others, but really well made and they should last the life of the car. The advantage is that they provide extra illumination for the reversing camera at night. The power saving aspect is negligible, the appearance aspect is nice.
Join Chargepoint. It is free. To use their chargers though you need an adaptor available from Timpoo on this site.
I guess the next thing in the planning phase is to ask Tesla exactly what charging equipment they are currently supplying.

In Sydney, main complaint i got from the trouble and strife was sun through the passenger window. So, i got window tinting to maximum legal. No further complaints. Happy wife, happy life!! Opticoat pro + makes car real easy to wash and keep clean and shiny. Not sure if all the cars are now coming standard with the HPWC AND the UMC with 10amp pigtail. Certainly all early deliveries got both, eventually. That will allow you to purchase other pigtails including 3 phase when they become available "soon". 3 Phase maximum with the UMC is 16 amps per phase. 32 amps max single phase. "real soon" we are supposed to be getting 3 phase wall connectors in exchange for the ones originally supplied. Still waiting...... after 4.5 years of waiting I should be used to that...
Alloygators I have found to be a godsend and essential. They have saved my wheels twice now. The last time was a 360 degree which i have fixed by sanding the gator smooth. They DO work.
The floor mats supplied are OK.
I do have a full tyre changing set including breaker bar and torque wrench, plus a Tesla 19in wheel and tyre. Also a 1300kg floor jack and timber wedges - that all fits in the froot. I have used some of this gear to install gators.
I also have an ARB tyre compressor and because it draws more power than the car can provide through the accessory port, i have a Jaycar power supply to suit. Compressor and power supply live in my garage and i use it for the other household cars and bicycles. This way, i never go to a filling station.
for fun, i have installed Tesla brand puddle lights in the bottom of the front doors - quite an easy modification which can be reversed, and it DOES give much more light than the OEM lights which are real dim. I also changed the number plate bulbs to LED supplied by Abstract Ocean. Dearer than others, but really well made and they should last the life of the car. The advantage is that they provide extra illumination for the reversing camera at night. The power saving aspect is negligible, the appearance aspect is nice.
Join Chargepoint. It is free. To use their chargers though you need an adaptor available from Timpoo on this site.
I guess the next thing in the planning phase is to ask Tesla exactly what charging equipment they are currently supplying.

Sounds like you have set yourself self up beautifully Dborn. Would love to know what Puddle lights are. I will research that now,

Look at this site where I got mine. Good quality. HONGKONG NAVINIO TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD
Look at this page to see the effect with a cheaper model. Some think it is kitschy. I like them.
Projector Logo Lights | TeslaTap

Relatively easy install. I used a different method to that shown on the site.

Very anxious to know how you installed them. I see you got front doors only. Any reason not back?

How very bold of you to actually drill in the door... Did you?

Did you you install this yourself or got someone to do it?

It looks really great, but I am a bit chicken...would love it though... Maybe even different pictures...

Last edited:
Did it myself. Click out the light fitting under the door. Very slightly increase the diameter of the waist of the resulting hole. I used a metal work file, but a Dremel would do the job. I prepared a piece of aluminium that I had lying around to fit into the recess from the fitting and drilled that with the supplied drill bit. Using standard automotive electrical fittings I spliced into the wires to the existing light fitting and then double sided taped the the thing in position. Voila!
Ps. I do have a fairly well equipped workshop. The right tools do make things easier!

Did it myself. Click out the light fitting under the door. Very slightly increase the diameter of the waist of the resulting hole. I used a metal work file, but a Dremel would do the job. I prepared a piece of aluminium that I had lying around to fit into the recess from the fitting and drilled that with the supplied drill bit. Using standard automotive electrical fittings I spliced into the wires to the existing light fitting and then double sided taped the the thing in position. Voila!
Ps. I do have a fairly well equipped workshop. The right tools do make things easier!
Unfortunately, I don't have access to a workshop so I had mine installed; all four doors installed in the rubber bungs - simple to remove - just get another set of bungs.

It sounds so exciting... I would love to do that.

Damn it - I bought 2 Tesla logos and 2 Wolf logos (for back doors). But I think I will be over at Dborn's place in a couple of months for help in fitting them!

Last edited: