Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk, highly suggest two wheel driven Tesla Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I write this posts on behalf of my Chinese friend Robbin Zhong, he is one of great Tesla fans. )

Dear Elon Musk,
I'm an owner of Tesla Model S from China, and also one of the earliest Tesla super fans. While ordering Model X online, surprisingly I find out that there was no alternative for two-wheel driven version , which is quite a pity!
We’ve been always saying that we take customers as our God, therefore the feedback for Tesla from customers should be seriously handled.
According to my one year driving experience of Tesla, it feels just like dating different types of beautiful ladies.
Due to the strong holding force on ground, four-wheel driven vehicle is very stable. It feels like she’s a well mannered beauty, dressed formally and making out with you following the routine, while you’re wearing a suit and a tie, you know! It’s just nothing exciting!
P85 is an ebullient and passionate beauty, she’ll jump at you and bear hug, kissing you wildly. What’s more, she’ll twist her body too sexily and too crazily, quoting our Chinese famous saying from Sichuan dialect to describe, ‘OMG! That’s way too high!’Your hear is nearly jumping out of your throat!!!
85 feels exactly perfect!!! She’s a budding girl in blossom, waiting for owners to drive. Sometimes she’s tender and quiet, yet sometimes she’s flirting with you with a little passion. Everything is just so incredibly unforgettable! Many riders think two-wheeled 85 is the best version of Tesla.Another disadvantage of four-wheel driven vehicle is that the front compartment is too small, even less than one third of that of two wheel driven vehicle. Compared with four-wheel driven vehicle front compartment, two-wheeled vehicle front compartment is just like the iphone6 slogan: Bigger than bigger.
Larger front compartment can not only store more valuable items, but also can store a spare wheel if needed. If model X launch two-wheeled version, I can assume that it can definitely reach 8 star level in the collision detection.
What’s more, the four wheel driven version can only be better used in places where there’ll be snows and froze pavements. However in biggest cities such as Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, etc, they’re all in southern China, the climates are similar to that of California. Normally it won’t snow, even if it does, the flake on the roads will melt soon, it never frozes. Thus the four wheel driven is a big waste. Two-wheel driven version can offer customers more options, and of course can help us save much money.
I sincerely hope that the Tesla team can response to the feedback from Chinese market promptly, and launch two-wheel driven Model X ASAP.

Robbin Zhong

Quite the cultural translation! Interesting to note that all wheel drive doesn't seem so useful in the major Chinese markets.

Note: I can't recommend storing valuable items in the frunk. It's utterly insecure by design, seemingly to allow emergency responder access to the high voltage cutoff loop.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2016_Model_X_Emergency_Response_Guide.pdf page 27

I know people think this should be kept a secret. This sort of design flaw won't ever be fixed if it's kept in the dark.

The all wheel drive is part of the current design. The car decides which drive to use and when to use it based on operating conditions and needs. This increases overall energy efficiency. So it isn't really a full time all wheel drive, it is a drive what's needed high efficiency drive system. Sometimes it is front wheel drive sometimes all wheel drive. Completly different design than a single engine ICE driving the wheels thru a transfer case.

I know people think this should be kept a secret. This sort of design flaw won't ever be fixed if it's kept in the dark.

It turns out it is just as easy to open the front trunk on the Model S. I inadvertently left the brand new (at the time) valet mode turned on when my Tesla went in for auto body service. They were able to open the front trunk without the valet code and explained the whole process to me. Sigh. That was my first clue that you can only "hide" objects to keep honest people honest. If I leave a valuable in the car without taking it (extremely rare, but usually a laptop), it's stored behind our 3rd row jump seats. It's out of sight and getting at that requires the car alarm to go off (hopefully with a push notification). Opening the front trunk does not seem to set off the car alarm.

Do not leave valuables in ANY car.

However, having said all of this I don't think it is a Tesla design flaw for the Model X Front Trunk two pull-cord system.