Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey THQ, non-believer insults and/or indignation doesn't help your goal.........anyway, I wanted to see pictures because my car is white and maybe I'm not looking at it with the trained eye you have. Everything posted is dark dark dark......we have lighter cars that mask imperfections (one of the reasons I ordered white actually lol). So, if you could help out, it'd be appreciated. And if you didn't come here to help, then why did you come here?

I looked at multiple other colors and they looked perfect so I think these issues are Pearl White paint only, that said here is what to look for:

Look at your bumpers closely, run your fingers along where bumpers meet the body, can you scratch the paint off with your nail?

Compare the bumpers to the body, is there plastic bleed though on the bumpers, like not enough paint got sprayed on?

Today there was debris in the paint and other sub surface imperfections and on the bumpers only.

I looked at multiple other colors and they looked perfect so I think these issues are Pearl White paint only, that said here is what to look for:

Look at your bumpers closely, run your fingers along where the bumpers meet the body, can you scratch the paint off with your nail?

Compare the bumpers to the body, is there plastic bleed though on the bumpers, like not enough paint got sprayed on?

Today there was debris in the paint and other sub surface imperfections and on the bumpers only.

OK appreciate it, this is exactly why I did order white, so I'd miss it all. :D
I just wanted to be sure there weren't indicators that my paint would start oxidizing or shedding or peeling in big strips across my hood while I'm driving around thinking everything is super great like usual.

Sorry you are unhappy with your beautiful car and I hope you wont be more disappointed by having to go back to gas......yikes!
What the heck are you going to do?

I'm a little confused because it sounds like you accepted the 3rd one, and then took it back.

You knew what to look for so why not just reject it, and keep rejecting them till they either get it right or ban you as a customer?

I understand the obsession, but take it all the way.

Paint has always been a bit of a sore spot with Tesla. Where there are lots of stories of how soft it is, and how it needs correction/protection.

at this point for me its a matter of principal, the fact that they continue to waste my time because they can not put in the effort to make sure its done right is simply outrageous.

not happy to give up my car, not happy at all.....

I'm a little confused because it sounds like you accepted the 3rd one, and then took it back.

You knew what to look for so why not just reject it, and keep rejecting them till they either get it right or ban you as a customer?

I understand the obsession, but take it all the way.

Paint has always been a bit of a sore spot with Tesla. Where there are lots of stories of how soft it is, and how it needs correction/protection.

I was told to pick it up any time Friday I said 10 am she replied later how about noon "the detailer wants to be sure your car is perfect and is putting extra time in" which now I know means code for we found some stuff wrong and we need to try to fix it and we need more time.

I walked in excited for my new car from a distance it looked awesome, but once I got up close i found derbies in the paint and other imperfections on the bumpers only. I gave the key to the old car to the Service Tech and said I just want my money back and walked out. Called the regional service manger gave him a piece of my mind for not taking the time to at least look at the car first and he said they are sending me a check.....end of story.

My take on it is sometimes in life were forced to fix something even though it's not our responsibility.

Don't get me wrong. Whatever you do is your right, but that you were in a perfect position to force their hand.

The problem now is there isn't a conclusion to it. Its just some problem that's lost in the system. Hopefully the service manager is still hanging out in this forum so maybe he can get to the bottom of it.

at this point for me its a matter of principal, the fact that they continue to waste my time because they can not put in the effort to make sure its done right is simply outrageous.

not happy to give up my car, not happy at all.....

Then don't give it up.......its not too late to turn this around, but you need to turn around too.
I think you know what needs to be done. Would it surprise you if I said "just do it" ;)

It will be worth it TheQ!

I was told to pick it up any time Friday I said 10 am she replied later how about noon "the detailer wants to be sure your car is perfect and is putting extra time in" which now I know means code for we found some stuff wrong and we need to try to fix it and we need more time.

I walked in excited for my new car from a distance it looked awesome, but once I got up close i found derbies in the paint and other imperfections on the bumpers only. I gave the key to the old car to the Service Tech and said I just want my money back and walked out. Called the regional service manger gave him a piece of my mind for not taking the time to at least look at the car first and he said they are sending me a check.....end of story.

Ah, that clears it up. But, that just strengthens my feelings that you should have forced them. You already had one you could drive till they got you one that passed. Of course I'm totally OCD so giving up just isn't in my blood.

I'm sure if your paint turns to *sugar* in a few years or sooner Tesla will make it right. Probably by repainting your car and or doing a wrap. But for now you need a trained eye to see these defects. And these defects are not apparent, in any kind of lighting condition, that would inable it to be seen at 12 megapixels. Sounds horrible

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeC
Ah, that clears it up. But, that just strengthens my feelings that you should have forced them. You already had one you could drive till they got you one that passed. Of course I'm totally OCD so giving up just isn't in my blood.
cant title the car, cant get a plate.......its hot here, I want the windows tinted, and my radar installed. Since the end of April I have only put 2200 miles on it.

guys they did not order me 2nd and 3rd cars because i was seeing things.....that's a very expensive under taking, they did it because they know they have issues.
Pearl White Exterior Model X Photos
See post #29 I am not the only person noticing these problems, and I bet if others with Pearl White looked close they would notice them too!
I reviewed all 4 pages of the thread you linked to. Two people in that thread said they could see a mismatch between a Pearl White bumper and the adjacent body panel, photos were posted but in the photos I can't see it (which doesn't surprise me, photos on a computer screen show very little detail and are notoriously poor at rendering colors accurately). No one else in the thread made any mention of such an issue with their Pearl White cars. And one person in this thread posted that MB and Lexus cars can have the same issues with that paint color.

You were definitely "seeing things", as you stated. If you aren't willing to take an X in another color, then it sounds like Tesla can't paint a Pearl White car to your personal standards and you should part ways with Tesla, unfortunately.

But, unless I'm missing something you had Tesla by the balls.

What options did they have since they agreed to make it right?

Banning you as a customer wouldn't work because the media would eat that up.
They could tell you it matches their expectations, but that's Tesla giving up and not you.

They have enough Model X's in inventory they likely could have upgraded you just to make it go away. But, now you won't get that.

Instead all that hassle was for nothing.

But, unless I'm missing something you had Tesla by the balls.

What options did they have since they agreed to make it right?

Banning you as a customer wouldn't work because the media would eat that up.
They could tell you it matches their expectations, but that's Tesla giving up and not you.

They have enough Model X's they likely could have upgraded you just to make it go away. But, now you won't get that.

its not a fun car buying situation when you have first multiple issues resolved poorly and then multiple cars with almost the same issues.......not easy to say well lets order car 4?

I am fed up with their customer service and quality control. I own quite a few high end autos and have never had issues even close to this, never.