Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These posts are so amusing...

1. Expensive, exclusive cars often have paint jobs that are no better than a $25k Camry. I've owned cars that cost more than a house that had obvious paint flaws if I chose to obsess over them, which I don't.

2. "MY CAR COST $XXX SO IT NEEDS TO BE PERFECT!!" There is NO correlation between cost and quality in high end cars. Rich people who buy expensive cars know that. Average people who overspend on expensive cars generally don't, and act like you.

3. Elon doesn't care, nor should he. Stop writing letters to busy CEOs thinking your little problems matter to them. A good businessman knows not to pander to the 2% that do all the complaining because they're never going to be happy. A customer that rejects 3 cars in a row? They're giddy you're gone.

4. You're not special, and neither am I. You don't deserve special treatment. I know that's not what your mom told you, but she lied.

Last edited:
I wanted to say that I only had positive experiences with Austin Service center. When I bought my CPO Model S there was a small crack in the paint on the car and they fixed it with no problems and to my complete satisfaction.

TheQ, I thought it was well known that the quality of Tesla cars in some aspects is not up to scratch - yet. My last few cars were Toyota, VW, Mercedes, and Audi, and every one of them were higher standard when it comes to alignment of panels and other details, and, yes, I had a paint issue with my Model X that I showed Tesla but didn't pursue (the repair could be worse than the problem). And the car has rattles. But this is still a semi-start-up company (and rattle fixing is tribal knowledge that takes years to acquire). As to Tesla staff, a positive experience for most of us, remember the rapid build up of the company and all the corporate policies they've had to build up and continue to fine tune.

In spit of the above, I am ecstatically happy with my Model X - just back in Maryland after an 8800 mile road trip up the east coast, across America, down the west coast and back again. The experience is fundamentally different from driving an ICE legacy car. Furthermore, I have bought into Elon Musk's vision of sustainable transportation and I have joined a community of enthusiasts, which is a good experience on its own.

I can only assume that you are right about the paint quality problems, but rather than finding a solution (which I am sure was there), you decided to pull out of the car purchase. That is unfortunately a loss of perspective and amounts to self-flogging. In my humble view. I'm sure you can still turn this around.

Last edited:
Austin, eh? Are you sure you're not from Dallas?

I have two Pearl White Teslas. One S from 2014, one X from 2016. My X has had issues, and I've been pretty honest here on TMC about them. There was only one paint issue (driver's side mirror connection point has a chip). I didn't bother the Service Center with that one. Paint matching is excellent between the plastic bumper and the aluminum body panels. I don't have the mismatch that was referenced in the thread you linked, and I don't think many have because nobody else has corroborated that initial report. So while you personally might have had issues, I don't think you can link to one problem and say that Tesla just can't do it. The plural of anecdote is not evidence.

Do what you want, but @Norge said it well above. Doing things in the name of principle often means you're doing them at the expense of logic. You're probably being more unkind to yourself than you are to Tesla.

All of you who suggest you should take a car that has flaws because that's just the best Tesla can do right now is hogwash.....they will never produce a car up to standard if that's what the consumer will take.

Painting a car is not rocket science. Body panels that fit correctly is not rocket science. Assembly line quality control inspections is not rocket science. Car companies have been doing these things perfectly for a long, long time. For a 100k+ car I expect and so should you, a first class paint job and A+ fit and finish. Accepting anything less is shame on you.

As my mother always said "a fool and his money are soon parted," well I am no fool. Get your act together Tesla and build a car thats up to standards and I will consider buying one. In the mean time I have plenty of other cars I can drive that get me from point A to point B.

Last edited:
Painting a car is not rocket science. Body panels that fit correctly is not rocket science. Assembly line quality control inspections is not rocket science. Car companies have been doing these things perfectly for a long, long time.

I've never seen a perfectly panel gapped car. Certainly some have been better, more consistent than others. But perfect? Never.
I've never seen a perfectly painted car. Certainly some have been better, more consistent than others. But perfect? Never.

While making cars might not be rocket science, it's not like the simplicity of making toast either. (And still some people have problems not burning the toast, or getting it under toasted. Go figure.)

Best wishes with your next car. I hear Porsche will have an EV out sometime before Hell freezes over. Maybe it'll be more to your standards.

• Love
Reactions: NicoV and CliffG
Get your act together Tesla and build a car that up to standards and I will consider buying one. In the mean time I have plenty of other cars I can drive that get me from point A to point B.
I hope you find their enthusiast forums enjoyable. Once Tesla is doing what you want, we will be glad to see you back here. Until then, good luck with life.

I've never seen a perfectly panel gapped car. Certainly some have been better, more consistent than others. But perfect? Never.
I've never seen a perfectly painted car. Certainly some have been better, more consistent than others. But perfect? Never.

While making cars might not be rocket science, it's not like the simplicity of making toast either. (And still some people have problems not burning the toast, or getting it under toasted. Go figure.)

Best wishes with your next car. I hear Porsche will have an EV out sometime before Hell freezes over. Maybe it'll be more to your standards.

I have had multiple Audi's my current R8 has a perfect fit and finish.
I have had multiple Mercedes Benz, my GL450 has perfect fit and finish.
I have multiple Toyota's, My Tundra and Landcrusier have perfect fit and finish.

I can go on and on......

Elon,

Today you lost a great supporter and customer, someone that waited 3 years for their Model X, today I returned my Model X to Tesla Austin Service Center. To say I am extremely disappointed in Tesla is an understatement.

You had not one but three chance to make my situation right and you failed all 3 times. I received my Model X back in April only to find paint issues (had other issues too but those could be fixed), another Model X was ordered to replace it and again I found paint issues, a third Model X was order and today again I went to pick it up and I found more paint issues. The paint problems are obvious and take less than a minute to see. No one is going over these cars to make sure the paint is right. Not at the factory, not at the service center, and in my case not the Regional or Austin Service manager. The quality control procedures that are in place are pathetic, stock holders take notice.....

My situation had been escalated to the the Regional Service Manager who promised these issues were being corrected at the Factory level, but sadly that was not true and he nor the Austin Service Manager value the customer enough to take the time to look over a car that has had to been replaced not once but twice. Both of them should be terminated, they don't deserve to work for Tesla.

While I did and do love my Model X I am not going to pay 112k for a car that has issues with paint. No one should.

I have wasted countless hours on this nonsense. Spent time and money to have a 220 outlet installed. Purchased 3 party add-ons for the car that can no longer be used. I have not been able to fully utilize my car because I was not able to title it while i waited for a replacement.

Elon I expected so much better from you, you are not going to change the world if you can get this stuff right!. Tesla needs to get it act together.

You lost a customer today, what are you going to do about it?

Regards,

Mike

Now that I have 100 Teslas, I go to step two - buy s3xy only and be at 1,000 by the year end.

My .02? Sending something like that to the CEO of a company that's quietly revolutionizing a 100 year old industry, fixing problems as fast as they can, and when they can't, inventing solutions to solve those problems, is just unnecessary and frankly says a lot about you and no one else. It was accusatory, inflammatory, and frankly, what do you think he's going to do? Personally go to the paint booth? Say "aw geez dude here's a free one". Why are you singling him out? Isn't it the paint man?

I mean, Sam Walton got this whole idea of "The customer is always right", but no, they're not. I'm not saying that the paint wasn't bad or could not have been better, but frankly, if the paint is what ruins the entire experience for you, that's your deal, go buy another car. But posting a thread on a forum like that is rude, unrealistic, and frankly, dehumanizing for both the recipient and the observers.

You're right, you're not buying a Twinkie. Act like it and vote with your dollars, not with your mouth and don't treat people that way. A car isn't worth that.

Sometimes my S has / does little weird stuff too. But I don't sweat it because what I have is a helluva lot better than what I had.

You put in a 220 outlet for nothing? Bought some add-ons? They lost a customer like you? Is it going to hurt you or them that bad?

You've humanized an entire company into one man and then *sugar* on him publicly. You're out of line.

Ryan

Apple revolutionized the phone industry with a A+ fit and finish product......cut the crap Fanboys. The fact you you are willing to accept sub standard quality because you think Elon is saving the world, is laughable. He, like any SALESMEN will sell what ever a consumer is willing to buy. Because you have low standards makes you the greater fool not the EV advocate. Its not hard to focus on paint and fit and finish, Tesla chooses not to, and they wont until the consumer demands it. Wake up, its how the real world in business works. If you want to sell millions of cars you need to get your act together. Fanboys are not going to be buying millions of cars, consumers are. As it is you can see Tesla is having a very hard time moving cars right now.......

• Disagree
Reactions: NicoV and napabill
Tesla's paint has been crap since day 1, that's kind of a know fact that is why most do opti coat and whatnot.

I hear yeah and its not going to change until the consumer demands it.....This is also a problem because they own the whole distribution chain if dealers were on the hook to sell these cars they would be making sure the Quality was much higher because they would have to deal with these issues and it would bite into profits and car sales efficiency.

Last edited: