Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe someone would get so twisted over paint issues and somehow make that as the epitome of automobile achievement.

If all you are looking for is a machine that will take you from A to B with an AMAZING paint - then you have plenty to choose from and Tesla is not for you. Next time on the highway when I zip past you on a stop and go stressful commute, I would be relaxed and fresh, while you can't even admire your car's paint job because you are stuck inside the car and heavily focused on the road and cars in front of you.

You have a definition of a 'fool'? I will tell you what is foolish? the inability to understand what you get when you buy a Tesla? The inability to understand that AP is in some sense rocket science and the only company doing it right today is not your other gas giants that do spotless paint jobs.

You are right - fools and their money are parted easily.

Because you have low standards makes you the greater fool not the EV advocate

Have you checked out the standards of the driver assistance features in other companies? Because people like you have low standards, you are being made a fool and these companies are not making a great EV or a functioning driver assisted self-driving cars.

Unless people like you wake up and demand quality products, we will get the same old crap.

I hear yeah and its not going to change until the consumer demands it.....This is also a problem because they own the whole distribution chain if dealers were on the hook to sell these cars they would be making sure the Quality was much higher because they would have to deal with these issues and it would bite into profits and car sales efficiency.
Again. Why not ask Tesla to pay for your paint correction and move on?

I think you are just waving this flag, but have a long list of other issues. The dealer comment above kind of showed your stripes.

My paint is good, but not great. I paint concours cars and I know great. I also know great would cost about $20k to do on a Tesla.

There are three different paint applications on the Pearl White. You claimed there is no paint on your bumper. Which coating (base, pearl or clear?). It sounds like it's the clear because you said it was thin and you could scrape it off with your fingernail. The clear is so trivial to apply after the fact and then polish out, anyone can do that.

I have had multiple Audi's my current R8 has a perfect fit and finish.
I have had multiple Mercedes Benz, my GL450 has perfect fit and finish.
I have multiple Toyota's, My Tundra and Landcrusier have perfect fit and finish.

I can go on and on......
It all depends on your priorities. Would you rather have a perfect fit and finish in an ICE, or would you rather have a long-distance EV. I'll take the long distance EV.

• Love
Reactions: NicoV and plankeye
EV and driver assistance is meaningless to me I don't commute anywhere.

If EV makes for a better driving experience than that's a another story and I do believe the driving experience is awesome. But that does not make it ok to accept less than I would accept from another car company.

At 2 bucks a gallon EV makes almost no sense for the premium you are paying.

• Disagree
Reactions: NicoV
I have had multiple Audi's my current R8 has a perfect fit and finish.
I have had multiple Mercedes Benz, my GL450 has perfect fit and finish.
I have multiple Toyota's, My Tundra and Landcrusier have perfect fit and finish.

I can go on and on......

sic
"I have multple other cars that belch out soot, NOx, CO2 and all manner of other pollutants, they also have knobs and twiddly bits and pockets and have "perfect" paint.
I have(had) a Tesla MX that was a beatiful piece of new technology that has eco credentials and performance that nothing else on the market can even get close to, but there were a few nits about the paint that are so minor that I won't post images of them but were enough that I rejected three examples and even called BS on the Tesla center that tried their best to help you.

I am now chugging around in an ordinary ICE instead of being inpired daily by a technological marvel"

your loss imho

• Love
Reactions: NicoV

There you go. That puts everything in context. You have reduced driving a Tesla to gas savings. That tells me everything what i want to know. You will never be satisfied with an EV with the lens you are looking at.

I get it. What you want is an 'Eye candy mobile' and nothing more. Your friendly gasmobile dealer is waiting to part your money from you.

If EV makes for a better driving experience than that's a another story and I do believe the driving experience is awesome. But that does not make it ok to accept less than I would accept from another car company.

We pay a lot more than $2 for gasoline in pollution, spills, costly wars and pro oil politics.

Reactions: DiamondDave
Again you guys are way to hung up on EV......its not an excuse to build cars with poor fit and finish. the only person that is parting you from your money for less value than you deserve is TESLA, and that's the point. Over paying for a car that STILL RUNS ON COAL OR OTHER FOSSIL FUELS is just kidding your self. Unless you have solar panels on your house, your car is still gets a majority of electricity from fossil fuels. Those Lithium batteries are also horrible for the environment. Car sales are not lagging because its a home run.......

What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

I think we have identified the problem. If EV is meaningless to you, then the Model X you bought is not worth $110,000, because a large portion of that cost goes for the battery and electric drivetrain. You could get a luxury ICE SUV for half to 2/3 of that price. If your priority is the appearance rather than it being a long-distance EV, maybe that's why you're obsessing about the paint?

As Tesla goes mainstream, we can expect more of this from people who don't care that it's an EV so they don't think they're getting their money's worth.

I agree the company needs to be made aware any defects. Hopefully you rejecting three of their cars has made them aware of a problem. If that doesn't do it, what will? I don't plan on putting up with any significant defects upon delivery of a new Tesla. I would allow them to do non-factory painting if necessary to make it right. Half the paint on my current car has been non-factory for over 8 years. If you look real close in the right lighting you can see imperfections, but it still looks great. But very uncool if they did significant painting of your car in an auto body shop without telling you. You are doing us all a big favor if you take that to the top.

Reactions: TheQ
I agree the company needs to be made aware any defects. Hopefully you rejecting three of their cars has made them aware of a problem. If that doesn't do it, what will? I don't plan on putting up with any significant defects upon delivery of a new Tesla. I would allow them to do non-factory painting if necessary to make it right. Half the paint on my current car has been not factory for over 8 years. If you look real close in the right lighting you can see imperfections, but it still looks great. But very uncool if they did significant painting of your car in an auto body shop without telling you. You are doing all of us a big favor if you take that to the top.

I am trying my best brah.....this is only the first step.

It's okay if the OP rates an excellent paint job at the top of his criteria list for a car. And it's okay that Tesla doesn't meet that criteria.

A Tesla offers a bazillion other things. It's the best EV (and arguably the greatest vehicle every made) by a landslide for too many reasons to list, such that the OP could buy a Tesla and go have it professional detailed/wrapped/or whatever like so many others have and then have his 'perfect' exterior. Clearly, though, all those other bazillion things that a Tesla offers isn't enough or important enough to the OP. And that's okay.

Again you guys are way to hung up on EV......its not an excuse to build cars with poor fit and finish. the only person that is parting you from your money for less value than you deserve is TESLA, and that's the point. Over paying for a car that STILL RUNS ON COAL OR OTHER FOSSIL FUELS is just kidding your self. Unless you have solar panels on your house, your car is still gets a majority of electricity from fossil fuels. Those Lithium batteries are also horrible for the environment. Car sales are not lagging because its a home run.......

What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Actually, I do have solar panels on my roof, thanks for asking. And so do something like half the folks who answered a poll on the forum if I remember right. If you're worried about it, your power company will be happy to sell you 100% renewable power for only a few cents more - still cheaper than gas for anything resembling a comparable car.

Instant torque, Autopilot, OTA Updates, free Supercharging, massive windshield, falcon wing doors - there are a lot of reasons Tesla is uniquely superior to their competition that have nothing to do with the environment. Some of them are related to being an EV, some aren't. No one buys a Tesla to save money - but is better for the environment than anything in close to the same size/price class, and it is a better, safer car no matter what.

If you look at the trend, year over year, we are using less and less coal and more renewables. This will only continue. Most of the EV fuel is domestic, were as most ICE fuel is imported (some from terrorists and human rights violators).

It takes as much electricity to just produce and deliver the equivalent gas to run an ICE as it takes to run an EV.

Its pretty obvious that your real agenda is to find any flaw so that you can reject your Tesla (s) so you can justify your prejudgemental opinions about EVs in general.

Its obvious that you and Tesla are not suited, just drop the song.

Wow this is just so wrong..... I loved driving that car. If I wanted to just return the car form the get go there was no reason to order 2 more and waste my time and aggravation. Get real...

I do see why the fit and finish sucks...... Y'all make no bones about it and just take what you are given.....nothing going to change with that attitude. Eventually other car cos will catch up with a better mouse trap and boom, by by Tesla.