Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should take notice because QUALITY CONTROL obviously sucks! And in the long run and at much bigger scale problems will kill your/Teslas profits.

TheQ, it's regrettable that you didn't have a good experience with your Tesla, but I think it may help to read Norge's perspective again:

TheQ, I thought it was well known that the quality of Tesla cars in some aspects is not up to scratch - yet. My last few cars were Toyota, VW, Mercedes, and Audi, and every one of them were higher standard when it comes to alignment of panels and other details, and, yes, I had a paint issue with my Model X that I showed Tesla but didn't pursue (the repair could be worse than the problem). And the car has rattles. But this is still a semi-start-up company (and rattle fixing is tribal knowledge that takes years to acquire). As to Tesla staff, a positive experience for most of us, remember the rapid build up of the company and all the corporate policies they've had to build up and continue to fine tune.

In spit of the above, I am ecstatically happy with my Model X - just back in Maryland after an 8800 mile road trip up the east coast, across America, down the west coast and back again. The experience is fundamentally different from driving an ICE legacy car. Furthermore, I have bought into Elon Musk's vision of sustainable transportation and I have joined a community of enthusiasts, which is a good experience on its own.

I can only assume that you are right about the paint quality problems, but rather than finding a solution (which I am sure was there), you decided to pull out of the car purchase. That is unfortunately a loss of perspective and amounts to self-flogging. In my humble view. I'm sure you can still turn this around.

Getting the panel alignment and gaps correct is something Tesla definitely should work on, but this sort of thing takes years of institutional tuning and knowledge building. I note that Model S build quality in 2016 is far better than it was in 2012-2013, and I expect that Model X quality will continue to improve as Tesla makes iterative changes to the production process.

I understand that not every product is going to make everyone happy. I see it all the time in Apple forums. People have very high expectations for Apple build quality, and even in 2016 a large number of people exchange their iPhones because of various tiny defects in the exterior, abnormalities in the color output of a particular LCD panel, or buttons that rattle, or a fleck of dust beneath a camera cover.

If the Model X just didn't work for you, there's no harm in just walking away. At a certain point, continuing to harp on this just isn't productive, and that applies to other products too.

TheQ, it's regrettable that you didn't have a good experience with your Tesla, but I think it may help to read Norge's perspective again:

Getting the panel alignment and gaps correct is something Tesla definitely should work on, but this sort of thing takes years of institutional tuning and knowledge building. I note that Model S build quality in 2016 is far better than it was in 2012-2013, and I expect that Model X quality will continue to improve as Tesla makes iterative changes to the production process.

I understand that not every product is going to make everyone happy. I see it all the time in Apple forums. People have very high expectations for Apple build quality, and even in 2016 a large number of people exchange their iPhones because of various tiny defects in the exterior, abnormalities in the color output of a particular LCD panel, or buttons that rattle, or a fleck of dust beneath a camera cover.

If the Model X just didn't work for you, there's no harm in just walking away. At a certain point, continuing to harp on this just isn't productive, and that applies to other products too.

I agree with this. Only defending my position from the Fanboys (who seem to be part of the problem not the solution) and sharing my experiences. Tesla will never be a great car company if it cant get these things right. Apple on the hand strives to make these things right, and that's the point and why I use an iPhone everyday and upgrade every year. They are also a very profitable company, something Tesla is not, in fact its far from it.

I have said that when Tesla focuses on Quality Control and making the Model X a product with quality fit and finish to match the high price tag I am happy to take another look.......

Reactions: KZKZ
Really those cars are transported fully wrapped to insure no paint issues. BMW only moves their cars under their care to make sure of no issues.

My paint issues did not happen because of a bump or scrape.....they are FACTORY issues, and those body panels should never leave the factory like that if quality control is right.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that BMW does NOT take "special care" when transporting their vehicles from the factory. I live a few miles from a BMW factory and I see uncovered, unwrapped X5s and X6s being moved all over the place.

They are also a very profitable company, something Tesla is not, in fact its far from it.

Right. Tesla should be profitable now regardless of investing all that money into the battery factory... It would have been a better business plan to focus on smaller short term profits, not larger long term profits... :rolleyes:

Speed limit in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado is 75 Miles per hour... give me a break, very do able. I do 85-90 no problemo, even faster in super rural spots.

Right. It's all a straight line. No slowing down for corners, no stopping for gas, just doing over 78 mph on average the entire way... :rolleyes:

Only defending my position from the Fanboys

Stick and stones. Some of who you call "fanboys" (which I'm certain includes me) have criticized Tesla on more than just the issue of paint and QC. But never let the facts get in the way of a good ad hominem attack. It is about the lowest form of argument.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that BMW does NOT take "special care" when transporting their vehicles from the factory. I live a few miles from a BMW factory and I see uncovered, unwrapped X5s and X6s being moved all over the place.

TheQ doesn't give up. I'm certain he will find a way for you to be wrong about this. Have you had your eyesight checked lately?

Last edited:
I agree with this. Only defending my position from the Fanboys (who seem to be part of the problem not the solution) and sharing my experiences. Tesla will never be a great car company if it cant get these things right.

Well, "fanboys" is a derogatory term, so don't be surprised at the hostile reception you're getting from some people here! Many longtime Tesla customers are willing to put up with some level of compromise in the vehicle because they believe in the technology and/or value the driving experience of the powerful electric motors more than issues with panel alignment. It is a tradeoff.

Myself and many others though have acknowledged that Tesla's quality will have to improve as the brand goes mainstream. The company's goal has been to make a great car that happens to be an EV, not just make a car that people will want to buy for the sole reason that it is an EV. The real test of this will be Model 3 and the much broader consumer segment that it is intended to address.

Apple on the hand strives to make these things right, and that's the point and why I use an iPhone everyday and upgrade every year. They are also a very profitable company, something Tesla is not, in fact its far from it.

I have said that when Tesla focuses on Quality Control and making the Model X a product with quality fit and finish to match the high price tag I am happy to take another look.......

Keep in mind that Tesla is not profitable on paper because it spends and enormous sum of money on capital expansion (Gigafactory for batteries, new paint shop, new tooling, new production lines, R&D), while Apple has been around since the 1970's. Building cars is obviously a lot more complicated than building computers. Tesla's losses are almost entirely due to expansion costs.

It's my understanding that Tesla has put a lot of money and effort into their paint booths and systems. It seems at least comparable to what other automakers are using. If you think the paint still isn't up to the quality of other manufacturers, that is unfortunate, but it's not like they aren't trying. You may have to just pick a different color or an entirely different brand of car to be satisfied.

If I was the OP, I would be walking the lot, and looking at paint jobs, and taking a car for sale on the lot that passes my standards. Maybe asking for a cut price today, to buy some good will. I guess there aren't many MX on the lots yet, my idea would work better with an S today? So maybe in a few months, the OP should go pick a car in stock. It seems like the waiting for a car that doesn't pass his test is the frustrating part.

BTW, if you can afford a loaded Tesla, you should be putting $20k or $30k of solar panels on your house.

Reactions: ModelX
If I was the OP, I would be walking the lot, and looking at paint jobs, and taking a car for sale on the lot that passes my standards. Maybe asking for a cut price today, to buy some good will. I guess there aren't many MX on the lots yet, my idea would work better with an S today? So maybe in a few months, the OP should go pick a car in stock. It seems like the waiting for a car that doesn't pass his test is the frustrating part.

BTW, if you can afford a loaded Tesla, you should be putting $20k or $30k of solar panels on your house.

I may do this down the road a bit when I feel less abused. It's good advice.

I did offer to get an alternative color because when I looked at other cars the only cars i saw that had issues are the Pearl White, they said we want to get it right and get you the car you wanted. Problem is they cant get it right. I was patient and flexible, but I am not going to accept a car with defects when others do not have issues and I don't want a car painted by a third party.

I have a solar pool heating system on my roof.... No more room :(

Last edited:

What about those of us who get most of our power from clean renewable sources like hydro?

Solar panels take a lot of fossil fuels to make, transport, get installed on our roofs, etc. I'd like to go solar but I'm not sure it's the best thing environmentally given the fact that the power that flows into my meter comes primarily from river water.

What about those of us who get most of our power from clean renewable sources like hydro?

Solar panels take a lot of fossil fuels to make, transport, get installed on our roofs, etc. I'd like to go solar but I'm not sure it's the best thing environmentally given the fact that the power that flows into my meter comes primarily from river water.

It is a two edged sword, you get clean energy, yet every environmentalist would die before allowing the dams to go in again. The damage to the environment from those dams, rips through the entire ecosystem in that area. Do you think the hydro dams will cause more damage, or solar? It isn't so easy to tell. Your argument is like comparing a 40 year old coal plant to green energy isn't it? But the coal is cheaper! I don't think this is a very good argument to make.

I'm certain that solar cells are better then fossil fuels, in particular tar sands and fracking. Aren't you?

It is a two edged sword, you get clean energy, yet every environmentalist would die before allowing the dams to go in again. The damage to the environment from those dams, rips through the entire ecosystem in that area. Do you think the hydro dams will cause more damage, or solar? It isn't so easy to tell. Your argument is like comparing a 40 year old coal plant to green energy isn't it? But the coal is cheaper! I don't think this is a very good argument to make.

I'm certain that solar cells are better then fossil fuels, in particular tar sands and fracking. Aren't you?

I don't see it the same way as you. The dams are in. The damage is done. There's no more damage being done by using the energy they produce. The same argument does not apply to the coal plant, tar sands or fracking. There's just no comparison. You don't see the difference?

I don't see it the same way as you. The dams are in. The damage is done. There's no more damage being done by using the energy they produce. The same argument does not apply to the coal plant, tar sands or fracking. There's just no comparison. You don't see the difference?

I know you are a good guy. Just having a debate. Your point is reasonable, and I lived in the PNW for a long time, I have seen it before. Now, here is what I think. Just trying to point out the hole in the argument.

If you take the dams down, the wild fish come back, the ecosystem will quickly repair itself. The dams are still damaging everything around them, where do you think the wild salmon went? There is a trade off there, I think some dams should come down, but most should not. I accept your argument that most dams are for the common good. Your argument only works in that part of the world, and only if you can intellectually carve out that hydro power for yourself. Your neighbors are using power that isn't clean, but that is OK.

Now let's extend the argument you made - The day after a solar system is built, I guess we can all say that it polluted to make this, but hey that is in the past. Now I can use it and feel superior to people who haven't installed one yet? Take natural gas out of the ground by fracking, hey it is done, no harm no foul, that is in the past? I guess if everyone had access to green energy, that wrecked the environment in the past, your argument has merit? Until then, it just kind of stinks IMHO.

I have seen this kind of argument before, as you can tell, I think it is self serving. Unfortunately, we are all trapped here on this planet. You bought a Tesla, what do you think EM is spending his time doing? Building a cool car for you? I think he is trying to fundamentally save the world. I only ordered a MS after I read his Part 2 plan. Saving the planet and order a cool car, OK I'm in. :)

Now, if you live in the NW, or SW Canada, maybe solar isn't great there? But, if you can afford a $100k car, you can afford a $25k solar electric system in most of the country, or a windmill in windy places. You will make money over time, you will be benefiting the environment, and slowing down global warming. No, it will not be 100% good, it will be a trade off like a hydro dam is. But, the stupidest thing we can do is to keep burning fossil fuels, we know the result from that.

For half of the money the US spent invading Iraq ($3T), the US could have installed a $25k solar system on every home in the US. We can afford to do the right thing, we just choose not to.

Best wishes to all, and consider spending some money on green energy generation.

I don't know why so many people are trying to argue with the OP about his OWN preference. He wants a MC pearl white car with perfect paint and obviously Tesla is not able to satisfy him (they tried). He's moving on. I don't see any issue with someone demanding perfect paint job on a 100k+ car. It's reasonable. They were painted by robots, not by hand like some expensive high end cars back in the days. Now, once it's off the lot and getting on the road it's going to be full of rock chips anyways but whatever.

Yea my iPhone has good finishes and it's built with high standards. After a year of use all corners are scratched and dented from drops. However, it sure didn't have them when it was brand new out of the box.

If you are more concerned about being able to drive an EV than caring about the paint / quality issue, that's also your choice. Please don't convince others to follow your choice in life. We are all different.