Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Elon Musk RE: My Former Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon,

Today you lost a great supporter and customer, someone that waited 3 years for their Model X, today I returned my Model X to Tesla Austin Service Center. To say I am extremely disappointed in Tesla is an understatement.

You had not one but three chance to make my situation right and you failed all 3 times. I received my Model X back in April only to find paint issues (had other issues too but those could be fixed), another Model X was ordered to replace it and again I found paint issues, a third Model X was order and today again I went to pick it up and I found more paint issues. The paint problems are obvious and take less than a minute to see. No one is going over these cars to make sure the paint is right. Not at the factory, not at the service center, and in my case not the Regional or Austin Service manager. The quality control procedures that are in place are pathetic, stock holders take notice.....

My situation had been escalated to the the Regional Service Manager who promised these issues were being corrected at the Factory level, but sadly that was not true and he nor the Austin Service Manager value the customer enough to take the time to look over a car that has had to been replaced not once but twice. Both of them should be terminated, they don't deserve to work for Tesla.

While I did and do love my Model X I am not going to pay 112k for a car that has issues with paint. No one should.

I have wasted countless hours on this nonsense. Spent time and money to have a 220 outlet installed. Purchased 3 party add-ons for the car that can no longer be used. I have not been able to fully utilize my car because I was not able to title it while i waited for a replacement.

Elon I expected so much better from you, you are not going to change the world if you can get this stuff right!. Tesla needs to get it act together.

You lost a customer today, what are you going to do about it?

Regards,

Mike

Elon,

Today you lost a great supporter and customer, someone that waited 3 years for their Model X, today I returned my Model X to Tesla Austin Service Center. To say I am extremely disappointed in Tesla is an understatement.

You had not one but three chance to make my situation right and you failed all 3 times. I received my Model X back in April only to find paint issues (had other issues too but those could be fixed), another Model X was ordered to replace it and again I found paint issues, a third Model X was order and today again I went to pick it up and I found more paint issues. The paint problems are obvious and take less than a minute to see. No one is going over these cars to make sure the paint is right. Not at the factory, not at the service center, and in my case not the Regional or Austin Service manager. The quality control procedures that are in place are pathetic, stock holders take notice.....

My situation had been escalated to the the Regional Service Manager who promised these issues were being corrected at the Factory level, but sadly that was not true and he nor the Austin Service Manager value the customer enough to take the time to look over a car that has had to been replaced not once but twice. Both of them should be terminated, they don't deserve to work for Tesla.

While I did and do love my Model X I am not going to pay 112k for a car that has issues with paint. No one should.

I have wasted countless hours on this nonsense. Spent time and money to have a 220 outlet installed. Purchased 3 party add-ons for the car that can no longer be used. I have not been able to fully utilize my car because I was not able to title it while i waited for a replacement.

Elon I expected so much better from you, you are not going to change the world if you can get this stuff right!. Tesla needs to get it act together.

You lost a customer today, what are you going to do about it?

Regards,

Mike

Sad. Hope that is not a sign... You are obviously not being unreasonable in what or how you ask to be taken care of. Why they failed you, not once, but twice, is not acceptable for any reason, especially for what Tesla touts to be for its customers. I assume you posted this here for the forum to see, as I seriously doubt Elon will find/read it. As another member ask, specifically what paint issues did you observe?

Reactions: TheQ
The issues are with the Pearl White paint. I have found debris under the paint, drips, mismatched paint, and under sprayed areas where it paint has just not be applied right so the plastic bleeds though.. They also acknowledged they are having issues with painting the plastic bumpers. The Paint problems are very hard to show in pictures but its real enough that they have order 2 additional cars for me, other on here have mention issues with the pearl white as well.

the car was amazing.....its a long story because they initially tried to cover up the issues and have the car painted in a local body shop but i noticed clear cost over spray on the car plastics. Then they acknowledge their somewhat unethical steps to fix my first car with out me knowing about it.That lead to the Regional Service Manager getting involved and order an 2nd car......which then has some of the same paint issues.​

Then they acknowledge their somewhat unethical steps to fix my first car with out me knowing about it.
There is nothing unethical about the dealer (or service center in Tesla's case) making paint corrections before delivering the car to you. It is standard practice at most dealerships to repaint new cars all the time when issues are detected.

again its a long story and yes it was unethical what they were doing....because they knew it was not fixed right and were lying about it. Even the concierge who delivered the car at one point said don't let them take it back they cant be trusted fixing your car right.

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
There is nothing unethical about the dealer (or service center in Tesla's case) making paint corrections before delivering the car to you. It is standard practice at most dealerships to repaint new cars all the time when issues are detected.

Gee I hope not. If that's the case, I wouldn't ever buy from that company again. ANY paint repair should have full disclosure period. Down the road when if begins to fail, and dealer jobs will, then what is your recourse? Nada. Your trade value just went to shi*.

I had one car that they backed into the wall on delivery and said it would have the bumper repaired; they showed me the spot. They did it and it was fine. It was also a lease. The point being they TOLD me about it and it was DOCUMENTED. I would accept nothing less.

Gee I hope not. If that's the case, I wouldn't ever buy from that company again. ANY paint repair should have full disclosure period. Down the road when if begins to fail, and dealer jobs will, then what is your recourse? Nada. Your trade value just went to shi*.

I had one car that they backed into the wall on delivery and said it would have the bumper repaired; they showed me the spot. They did it and it was fine. It was also a lease. The point being they TOLD me about it and it was DOCUMENTED. I would accept nothing less.

and when you try to sell the car anyone with a paint Meter can see that its been painted out of the factory and will pay you less resale for it.....

Reactions: davidc18
Reactions: KZKZ and davidc18
this is not a Hyundai Kia or Chevy.....and yes I have done all that research already and it disturbing to know what some car companies do to their cars before you get it.

You think that's only Hyundai or Chevy? The more expensive the car, the more likely this happens. After all, you think the Aston Martin dealer or Lamborghini dealer is going to take a bath on a $200,000+ limited edition car for some paint issues?

Still though, it is disappointing they couldn't get the paint right. I wouldn't sweat a good local body shop in doing it right, especially if they take particular care.

Reactions: dehydratedH2O
You think that's only Hyundai or Chevy? The more expensive the car, the more likely this happens. After all, you think the Aston Martin dealer or Lamborghini dealer is going to take a bath on a $200,000+ limited edition car for some paint issues?

Really those cars are transported fully wrapped to insure no paint issues. BMW only moves their cars under their care to make sure of no issues.

My paint issues did not happen because of a bump or scrape.....they are FACTORY issues, and those body panels should never leave the factory like that if quality control is right.

the car was amazing.....its a long story because they initially tried to cover up the issues and have the car painted in a local body shop but i noticed clear cost over spray on the car plastics. Then they acknowledge their somewhat unethical steps to fix my first car with out me knowing about it.That lead to the Regional Service Manager getting involved and order an 2nd car......which then has some of the same paint issues.​

That ain't good. As one who as well has lost countless hours and a bit of money having to have problems fixed that were not of my making, I empathize.

Not disclosing post-production paint work is a problem. Doing it is one thing. Not telling you about it is another and there's a word or three for that.

A lot of people would not have noticed what you did, and a stealership service manager would count upon that.

But that was vehicle 1, and they tried to address it with vehicles 2 and 3. To not get it right with those indicates an opportunity for improvement for sure, and as a shareholder it's stories like these that make me consider a less aggressive posture with regard to continuing to acquire more shares of TSLA. Long term it's still a no brainer, but sheesh.

So in giving you the benefit of the doubt, one solution might be to consider a lower entry point - either one of those 2-year leases for a smokin' deal for an inventory X or some similar smaller outlay of cash/exposure so you can still enjoy the experience without feeling like you're getting screwed when you sell the car because of having to disclose the issues. Just a thought. $30-35K for 2 years might also give time for them to improve QC from the new paintworks.

Reactions: RxShah and TheQ