Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To FSD or not FSD….that is the question…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best I can tell, it isn’t worth it. I read all the articles I can find and none have convinced me. I think the 10k is more about “the promise of what the future could bring”.
It’s not really about the money…I live a comfy life….I’m also wise with my money and don’t waste it.

I’d also be PISSED if the price jumps considerably and it moves into level 5 autonomous.

What to do….what to do….

I got mine back in January 2021, and even the sales rep said I probably shouldn't get it. But maybe he knew I wasn't going to. I'm not particularly rich, and I felt like I didn't want to pay that much money to beta test software. I've beta tested software for computers in the past, like Windows 95 and Firefox, and not only did I not have to pay, but I got some extras, plus a free copy of the finished product.

But I was wrong. It wasn't beta testing, more like alpha testing. Not only do you have to pay 10K for the software, but you have to qualify for the real beta testing.

If I could easily afford it, I'd get it but I wouldn't think of it as autonomous driving. I'd consider it an extra level of safety in case something happened while driving, like a medical problem, or falling asleep at the wheel (a common cause of accidents). I'd probably never want to use it in a crowded city with pedestrians, etc.

If it’s a long term vehicle for you, I’d buy it. If you upgrade every 3-4 years, it’s a waste since it doesn’t transfer with you to the next car and you would never add up to $10k of subscription cost in that time. Just use the subscription when you want it and save a ton in that case.
Bro I bought mine off the Tesla site used used with only 3000 miles on it it’s an ex 2019 and it had everything and It did transfer to me the second owner

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: K5TRX and lUtriaNt
Best I can tell, it isn’t worth it. I read all the articles I can find and none have convinced me. I think the 10k is more about “the promise of what the future could bring”.
It’s not really about the money…I live a comfy life….I’m also wise with my money and don’t waste it.

I’d also be PISSED if the price jumps considerably and it moves into level 5 autonomous.

What to do….what to do….
Take it from someone who bought it: if you expect something resembling level 5 autonomy, FSD is a complete waste. After years of promises they aren't even close. I think it's likely that they will never get there with the current hardware (sensor suite and AI accelerator chip). I regret spending money on it (at least I got the EAP-->FSD upgrade at the discount in 2019 and got a computer upgrade, so it stings a little less).

The regular Autopilot, OTOH, is a great stress relief in bumper to bumper traffic and on long road trips, and totally worth it. If you can get EAP that might also be worth it for lane changes without having to drop out of Autopilot every time.

Last edited:
Bro I bought mine off the Tesla site used used with only 3000 miles on it it’s an ex 2019 and it had everything and It did transfer to me the second owner
It stays with the car. You can’t take it with you to the next car. You have to buy it again. This is a shame for early investors in the FSD vision because if you don’t keep your car a long time, next upgrade you have to spend the pumped up new price.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and house9

What to do….what to do….

Tesla is not close to L5 so don't worry about missing out on that.

I think it depends on what your expectations are. If you are hoping for autonomous driving where you don't have to pay attention, FSD Beta is not that. But if you are ok with a system that can automate a large part of your driving while you supervise, then FSD Beta may be right for you. If you like testing "beta" stuff and being on the cutting edge and helping development, then FSD Beta may be right for you.

If it’s a long term vehicle for you, I’d buy it. If you upgrade every 3-4 years, it’s a waste since it doesn’t transfer with you to the next car and you would never add up to $10k of subscription cost in that time. Just use the subscription when you want it and save a ton in that case.
Something probably worth considering in terms of longevity is the pace at which EV and car technology in general are evolving

It's different when you're talking about mature technology, but EV batteries and electric powertrains and tons of other stuff in this space still has plenty of room to mature. So if you're paying $10k for something that's tied to the vehicle itself and technology vastly improves before that something is realized,...

I buy cars for the long term and intend on driving each one into the ground, but I would definitely be hesitant in a case like this where the technology is so new and I wouldn't want to be stuck with $10k invested in a car that could be very outdated in five years. Only so much can be improved with OTA updates.

Reactions: CDennis100
Tesla is not close to L5 so don't worry about missing out on that. ...
  • Tesla is about 10 years close to L5 (guestimate).
  • L4 when? Depends on what kind of L4. 5+ years for something wide. Maybe 3+ years for something very limited.
  • L3? Stop and go traffic on freeway? Some say Tesla could deploy this today. 2+ years away is my guestimate. Should handle potholes which it doesn't and it doesn't sound like potholes are a high priority either.
  • L2 with few nags in stop and go traffic? That is an interesting question. Will Tesla do this? I think so, but 18+ months away.
Previous timeline discussion:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
L5 is a red herring.

What we need is Waymo robotaxi functionality that operates everywhere in our cars or FSD that needs one intervention every 10k miles.
And this will not be a "take over immediately" intervention, but a "I'm pulling over because I can't handle this situation right at this time, please wait for it to clear or call for help".

That is useful L4, and will be far more consequential than an elusive L5.