Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is homelink actually $350?! (yes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The standard remote stuck on the visor works for me.

Many Tesla Model Y owners have prior experience with Homelink and will pay the asking price for Homelink (currently $350, installed.).

You can now subscribe to the MyQ-Tesla integration (less expensive than Homelink when you pay the 5 year subscription fee.)

There is also Tailwind, a kit (available for well under $100) that you add to your current opener and an app for your phone.

My car is on order. Does it really cost $350 to get a garage door opener? Might just stick to a visor remote.

I should add that I have MYq as well.
That is the price that includes Service Center installation. Tesla does not offer it without installation. But, if you get a used one, you can easily install it yourself now.

Or, if you have a Chamberlain or Liftmaster myQ garage door opener, the native app is integrated with the Model Y. That is way cooler. I switched from the HomeLink connection to myQ when that came out. Love it! (It's a $3/month license fee, but way worth it.)

My car is on order. Does it really cost $350 to get a garage door opener? Might just stick to a visor remote.

I should add that I have MYq as well.
I have a visor remote ($20 for 2 on Amazon) on my Model 3, but the visor mirror broke after a few years. It costs $350 to replace. Now, on Model Y we paid $350 to install the door opener. It actually works really nice. You pay for convenience, not for what you really need. That's called being "rich".

Reactions: akidesir
The built in solution on the Tesla does remove the risk of someone busting out a window on your car and stealing the opener (or just opening the garage door if it’s in the drive).

And yes, the integrated solution costs money. Chamberlain has very high license/hardware fees.

I didn't get the Homelink because I don't have a garage door 🤡

I mean, I don't have a garage door, but I DO have a rolling gate and I figured it would work differently - plus I read something about proximity activation that was confusing

...but the REAL reason is that I'm too tight to spend the three fifty!

I have a visor remote ($20 for 2 on Amazon) on my Model 3, but the visor mirror broke after a few years. It costs $350 to replace. Now, on Model Y we paid $350 to install the door opener. It actually works really nice. You pay for convenience, not for what you really need. That's called being "rich".
But I'm not rich! But I also don't think buying a $350 for a garage remote automatic means you're rich. Can I afford it? Of course! Hi
Maybe try the double-sided tape approach for a month before deciding on Homelink? (I’m still happy with tape 2 years later.)
I will for sure do this like it's a normal car. But I'm a tech geek... aren't we all!? LOL!