Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To get Carpool Sticker now or wait until 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, I'm taking delivery tomorrow of a red AWD. I'd like to wait until 1/1/19 to get the extra 8-9 months, but I also want the red stickers to make them look as inconspicuous as possible. What to do, what to do.
It does not matter when you get the car it matters only when you register the car into the California program. If you think you will get to stay in the program by waiting until January you can wait, but it is not guaranteed IMO.

What I mean is look at how they are doing things right now!
If you registered your into the program car in 2013 you will be cut off in January
if you registered your car into the program in 2016 you will still be cut off in January.

So the 13 got more years of use out of the stickers.

The whole concept of (you get 4 years, or you get 5 years while logical, does not seem to be what the government cares about). They don't give you a different color sticker every year, and in fact they were giving out different color stickers for different kinds of vehicles instead, all of which ends up not mattering come January.

Red stickers will probably continue in January.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Red with expiration date on the sticker would make too much sense.

Of course we hope they don't go that way.

Unlikely. will be hard to detect for CHP to detect which sticker, colors make sense. I read this thread and DMV before, still does not make sense to me. I assumed if applied before 2019 and after 2019 gets you the same sticker which will have the same end date. I wish DMV language was similar or had examples.

Requirements taken straight from the California Vehicle Code:
(1) A vehicle that meets the state’s super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard, as defined in Part 88 (commencing with Section 88.101-94) of Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) A vehicle that was produced during the 2004 model year or earlier and meets the state’s ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal ILEV standard. A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to this paragraph is valid until January 1, 2019.
(3) A vehicle that meets the state’s enhanced advanced technology partial zero-emission vehicle (enhanced AT PZEV) standard or transitional zero-emission vehicle (TZEV) standard.

(4) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) before January 1, 2017, is valid until January 1, 2019.
(5) (A) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2017, and before March 1, 2018, is valid until January 1, 2019.

(B) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) between March 1, 2018, and January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1, 2022.
(C) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after March 1, 2018, for a vehicle that had been issued a decal, label, or other identifier pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) between January 1, 2017, and March 1, 2018, is valid until January 1, 2022.

Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEV) fall into category 1 and therefore qualify for a HOV sticker. Expiration is based on when your sticker was issued, see paragraph B above. Stickers issued on or after March 1, 2018 are good till 2022. Only red stickers have been issued since March, so red is dead in 2022. Nothing left to speculate about.

Says nothing about getting a sticker in 2019, unless red is the last color and it all ends 2022...
Watch, all hov lanes will turn to toll roads...
Omitted since it wasn't relevant to the original question

(6) Except as provided in subparagraph (C) of paragraph (5), a decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance.
(7) Except as provided in subparagraph (C) of paragraph (5), a vehicle shall not be issued a decal, label, or other identifier more than once.

Good for four years. Most likely they will change the color like they do for registration stickers. Next one would be green, orange, blue, then yellow. Or maybe they'll get creative and go the opposite direction since green is too soon to be reissued.

Reactions: MXWing
Omitted since it wasn't relevant to the original question

(6) Except as provided in subparagraph (C) of paragraph (5), a decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance.
(7) Except as provided in subparagraph (C) of paragraph (5), a vehicle shall not be issued a decal, label, or other identifier more than once.

Good for four years. Most likely they will change the color like they do for registration stickers. Next one would be green, orange, blue, then yellow. Or maybe they'll get creative and go the opposite direction since green is too soon to be reissued.

Potentially giving up less than 4 months now to potentially gain 12 months, resulting in +8 month swing seems to be the most profitable action.

Reactions: paladinfello
Guys here’s a side note but interesting. They are doing work on the 405 in Orange County and I saw an interview with a DMV rep that said something to th effect of, we will be finished on the 405 in 2022 and will have added an extra lane and a carpool\toll lane, and thankfully all carpool stickers will expire by then so those lanes should flow pretty well.

I will try to find the written interview but that is definatly the just of it.

Just saying the state can be crazy and they could pull the plug cause of to many ev’s already . Im guessing they don’t even know what exactly they have planned for 2019 stickers.

Are you sure? It means for all. EVs are not exempt. We will have to pay too. The 10 and 110 is ending the free toll for EVs (granted with 25% discount) and have discussed making all HOV lanes in So Cal toll lanes.

I think what is being expressed is poster would rather just pay the tolls to exclude as many people from the lanes as possible.

As per https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm updated September 10th:
CURRENT PROGRAM
cad_sample_red.jpg
Red Clean Air Vehicle Decals
are now being issued by the California DMV for all qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9 that will be valid until January 1, 2022. There are income requirements and other details regarding this new California Clean Air Decal program.

Owners of vehicles issued a Green or White HOV decal after January 1, 2017 will be eligible for the new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022.

Qualifying vehicles that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will be eligibile for the new Clean Air Vehicle decal. Information on the color of the new sticker and application date and process have not yet been released.

--------------------------
Notice that if you have a white sticker issued after 1-1-17, there's no advantage in waiting until 2019 and also notice that the "color" of stickers valid beyond 1-1-22 will likely not be a previously used color.

Place your bets now on the color with the Vegas bookmakers.

Since there's no advantage to waiting until after 1-1-19, I called the DMV Clean Air office to see if I could get an early start on converting my 2017 white decal to red and avoid the potential deluge of applications and backlog. I was told that the form is not yet available...with no estimate on when it will be. The current REG 1000 form will not work.

Unless they send out conversion notifications soon and have much improved processing times, I expect that after January 1st, there may be a lot of unhappy white decal drivers anxiously checking the mail for their red decals.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911