Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To get Carpool Sticker now or wait until 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
White stickers will probably have to re apply. And pay $22. As of 9/26.
White Clean Air Vehicle Decals are no longer being issued, but are valid until January 1, 2019 (per AB 266). Qualifying vehicles issued a White HOV decal after January 1, 2017 will be eligible to apply for a RED Clean Air Vehicle Decal later this year. The DMV IS NOT yet accepting applications for these vehicles. More information will be available later this year.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

In other words. Please wait...

Those are old info. Need to go to the new DMV page:
Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.

i got my pre-filled form today. basically they are treating this as a "replacement sticker" operation, but since the white stickers are expiring you don't have to surrender the old stickers. the $22 fee applies. will mail it tomorrow. given that it's mid-october i fully expect to have the new stickers before january 1.

I just got my plates, never had a sticker before, but I live off of the I680N and will definitely apply (I work in SJ). Question is, should I wait until 1/1/19 to apply? I want the stickers in 2019, but want to apply this year (incase they need income verification. I'm eligible for both the rebate and stickers based on my 2017 income, but wont be in 2018). The current red stickers expire on 1/1/22. Stickers issued after Jan. 1 2019 will be valid until Jan. 1 of the fourth year after the year in which it was issued. Decals issued on January 1 and Dec. 31 in 2019, for instance, both would expire on Jan. 1, 2023. Does the clock start ticking when you apply or when you receive the decals?

Got my car on March 31st but never spent the time filling the forms...

Should we wait until January 1st or apply now?

I wish we had the problem of making too much money to qualify for both the sticker and the CA rebate... but I am all good on that front

Got my car on March 31st but never spent the time filling the forms...

Should we wait until January 1st or apply now?

I wish we had the problem of making too much money to qualify for both the sticker and the CA rebate... but I am all good on that front

Someone posted that if you apply now, DMV is holding the app until Jan 1, 2019 anyway. So I think either way, you will get the next sticker. I want to be safe and make sure I get the next one so it will expire 1/1/2023 instead of 1/1/2022, so I will probably wait until middle of January to mail in the app.

i got my pre-filled form today. basically they are treating this as a "replacement sticker" operation, but since the white stickers are expiring you don't have to surrender the old stickers. the $22 fee applies. will mail it tomorrow. given that it's mid-october i fully expect to have the new stickers before january 1.

got the red replacement stickers in the mail a couple of weeks ago. the certificate says they are good until 1/1/2022. so i guess there's no penalty for having requested them earlier than january.

got the red replacement stickers in the mail a couple of weeks ago. the certificate says they are good until 1/1/2022. so i guess there's no penalty for having requested them earlier than january.
Yes, this is the case for replacement stickers, since owners of a white sticker issued in 2017 or later are only eligible for the red sticker. However, owners who didn't have a sticker before should wait since starting January they will get the new purple sticker which is valid until 1/2023.

Someone posted that if you apply now, DMV is holding the app until Jan 1, 2019 anyway. So I think either way, you will get the next sticker. I want to be safe and make sure I get the next one so it will expire 1/1/2023 instead of 1/1/2022, so I will probably wait until middle of January to mail in the app.
What's the chance of DMV will allow Tesla owners with red stickers to renew in 2022?

Yes, this is the case for replacement stickers, since owners of a white sticker issued in 2017 or later are only eligible for the red sticker. However, owners who didn't have a sticker before should wait since starting January they will get the new purple sticker which is valid until 1/2023.

ah! i didnt know that they finally decided on a new color. thought that everyone was going to expire in 2022. thanks.

What's the chance of DMV will allow Tesla owners with red stickers to renew in 2022?

It's not up to the DMV, it is California legislation. It's doubtful they will allow a further extension beyond 2022 for renewals. Going forward, there should be a new color sticker each year which will be good through the earlier of 1/1 of the 4th year or 9/30/25 (for example, a sticker issued in 2020 would be valid through 1/1/24 but stickers issued in 2022-2025 will all expire 9/30/25).

For now, there are no slated carpool stickers beyond 9/30/25 but I can see that date being extended.

Given how many Model 3s are already driving around in the Bay Area (and probably also in SoCal) I wouldn't be surprised if they stop issuing stickers in the next 2-3 years. The HOV lanes in CA will be even more clogged than they already are ...

Given how many Model 3s are already driving around in the Bay Area (and probably also in SoCal) I wouldn't be surprised if they stop issuing stickers in the next 2-3 years. The HOV lanes in CA will be even more clogged than they already are ...

They're going to charge solo drivers 50% tolls on express lanes once they're built out. Driving solo eventually won't be free anymore. That will surely stop a lot of people from getting in that lane.

I got my Tesla in October 2018 and applied to get the CA EV Rebate because my houselhold income was below the 300K. I completely forgot to apply for the Carpool sticker though.

I filled my taxes in April 2019 and we are now slightly above the 300K and I'm wondering if I can still apply to get the carpool sticker?

The law says that above 300K it's "Clean Air Vehicle Program ONLY" but I'm not sure I can get it because I also got the EV Rebate while being under 300K?

What is your interpretation of the law?

I got my Tesla in October 2018 and applied to get the CA EV Rebate because my houselhold income was below the 300K. I completely forgot to apply for the Carpool sticker though.

I filled my taxes in April 2019 and we are now slightly above the 300K and I'm wondering if I can still apply to get the carpool sticker?

The law says that above 300K it's "Clean Air Vehicle Program ONLY" but I'm not sure I can get it because I also got the EV Rebate while being under 300K?

What is your interpretation of the law?

It’s fine. Just apply. You haven’t done your 2019 taxes yet right? So you technically don’t have >$300k. What if you lose your job tomorrow?

Best to your knowledge is your 2018 taxes. <$300k

Reactions: FlatSix911