TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

To Increase Range, Could Tesla Just Stack Battery Packs?

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by zapra, Mar 15, 2016.

1. zapra

zapra New Member

Recently visited a Tesla store and saw the "simple" design of how the battery pack is the floor. With a flat design, couldn't Tesla just stack the battery packs to increase range and battery capacity? It seems like it would make sense, especially since everything above the undercarriage is just space.

2. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

You would get diminishing returns...significantly heavier meaning less range benefit. There's a sweet spot.

3. James Anders

James Anders Member

Of course, they could. Should they? It makes zero sense to add more batteries when the power density keeps improving and the cost keeps dropping.

They've already have a reasonable and best-in-class range. Couple that with the ever-expanding Supercharger network and there's no huge reason to waste batteries on extending range when these could be used on production vehicles.

In a decade or so batteries will offer twice the range and at half the cost.

4. zapra

zapra New Member

I agree. I was just thinking for the short term if people really wanted the option now, rather than later. That way it would seem like a straight-forward upgrade with possibly less design effort on Tesla's end.

5. James Anders

James Anders Member

The entire structure of the car would need to change. New chassis, new battery interconnects, new coolant system.

With the massive increase in weight other things would have to change. Beefier suspension, drivetrain, etc.

I honestly don't see it. I would much rather see them spend such effort in expansion of the Supercharger network or on Model 3.

6. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Well, that "space" is used for the feet's of the cars occupants. ;)

You stack a battery on the top of the existing, and the floor of the car gets elevated.

7. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Rather than stack batteries - stack superchargers. A doubling of the deployment of SCs is what would help.
    I don't want to get into my car and drive 500 miles non-stop. 250? Sure. Stop for lunch or dinner? Sure. But 500 straight with two packs? Nope.