Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To install or not to install spacers. That's my question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been considering spacers for some time on my M3P. Infact, I have an appointment to have 18mm in front and 25 in the rear installed in a week.

Here's my concern: I have asked a number of tire shops if they would install them for me and not one would do it. They all told me how dangerous they are and they spoke of the added pressure on the system.

Yes, I have read a number of posts from model 3 owners who love them and have never had a problem.

I keep going back and forth, install or not to install.

What is your thought and why?

Last edited:
I have been considering spacers for some time. Infact, I have an appointment to have 18mm in front and 25 in the rear installed in a week.

Here's my concern: I have asked a number of tire shops if they would install them for me and not one would do it. They all told me how dangerous they are and they spoke of the added pressure on the system.

Yes, I have read a number of posts from model 3 owners who love them and have never had a problem.

I keep going back and forth, install or not to install.

What is your thought?
Why? Typically handling if optimized for the current geometry. Changing things typically makes the overall system worse.

There was a lot of science, trials and errors, that went into the design of these cars. Some of these mods can have serious ramifications and not just on the handling. I got get why some owners choose to lower their rides and the risks to the battery pack. I new pack will run you in the $20K, just to look "good". It would be better to put airbags over Eibachs. But that's just my 2¢.

In the end, the urge to stand out above the rest, takes over, until something goes wrong. I would argue against the spacers. A big negatory on my end. So please do not construe my points as inflammatory or combative.

Peace out - JP.

Reactions: XPsionic
Well, why are you installing them? If it's for looks, sure, the car will look cooler in your eyes.

In terms of performance gains, there might be a little bit of gains in the corners, but maybe not. You're also putting extra load onto the wheel bearings that'll reduce their life, and extra load onto the lug bolts. Also changing the scrub radius that would affect steering feel and bump steer that Tesla carefully engineered into the suspension.

In terms of safety, spacers can only make the car less safe. That's why no one wants to install them for you, although how much less safe is up to anybody's guess... lots of people run spacers in many cars, and in the short to medium term, usually the wheels don't fall off and wheel bearings become the next owner's problem.

Reactions: Ital and Shelburne
What are your expectations? That’s what needs answering. Safe ones are expensive and I’m telling you that you’re NOT going to feel a difference. Your bank account will feel the difference!
If you want substantial performance improvement, spacers are a waste of money. Get the right wheels and tires, and a performance alignment, and then you will feel the difference. And yes, it’s going to be more expensive.m
Your choice.

While all the comments about altering suspension geometry and wheel bearing stress are technically true on paper, I have not noticed personally or seen online any significant difference in actuality.

You get the same effect as wheel spacers when people put on wider wheels with lower offsets and no one ever cries about geometry this and wheel bearing that when people put more aggressive fitting wheels.

I’ve had wheel spacers or very aggressive low offset wheels and extra negative camber for over 100k miles on my 2006 BMW that I still own and wheel bearings are still fine.

Spacers are almost completely for looks. If you like the look then go for it. Performance/handling wise there’s not going to be any difference.

Reactions: medphys3
I would not get them
Not worth it. I learned the hard way. I got spacers on almost every car I owned and always had minor issues, like a bit of vibration. My last experience was on my 4runner I put it back to stock. Stock wheels and removed the spacers the ride was so much better. So from what i know now i would not buy spacers. Good luck!

I have 20mm in back and 18mm up front on my M3. Zero issues. This is after 15K miles. You do want quality spacers so you will need to pay a bit more than the cheap crap. And you dont need locktite.. torque to spec and check periodically. I have them on my i3 too. People go on about the dangers of a spacer and dont think twice about putting a deeper offset rim on the same hub. Same damn thing, different way to do it. You are changing the centerline of the wheel relative to the face of the axel. Shops wont do it because they dont want the liability.. It used to be they wouldnt change wheels either from factory spec but they saw the handwriting years ago. But many contracts will still call out "no responsibility for damages etc" when you change wheels and/or tires from factory spec.

Reactions: unhyphy and E90alex
Just for giggles I looked up the offset from a 18 inch and the 20 inch performance wheels. From tesla. 6mm plus the 1/2 inch extra width of the rim itself. They push the rim edge out to keep it from hitting the suspension which is roughly what a 15mm spacer does. Bearings and handling is not going to be an issue unless you do something really stupid with the spacers. And I’m betting the bearings can take a bit of abuse from a few mm. So it really comes down to a personal choice and yes, people do a lot of things for looks. Everything from lowering the car to buying ultra lightweight forged rims that never see a track day. An mild spacer is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things you can do to a tesla

Reactions: E90alex
SteelClouds

People go on about the dangers of a spacer and don't think twice about putting a deeper offset rim on the same hub. Same damn thing, different way to do it.

Just for giggles I looked up the offset from a 18 inch and the 20 inch performance wheels. From tesla. 6mm plus the 1/2 inch extra width of the rim itself. They push the rim edge out to keep it from hitting the suspension which is roughly what a 15mm spacer does. Bearings and handling is not going to be an issue unless you do something really stupid with the spacers. And I’m betting the bearings can take a bit of abuse from a few mm. So it really comes down to a personal choice and yes, people do a lot of things for looks. Everything from lowering the car to buying ultra lightweight forged rims that never see a track day. An mild spacer is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things you can do to a tesla

I have read all the above posts for and against spacers and was still undecided until I read the above posts by SleelClouds. To me they are very informative, logical and eased the stress regarding damaging the car.

This coming Monday, I'll have the spacers put on, under my watchful eye and If I detect anything negative after driving a few miles, I'll have them taken off and never look back again.

Why am I doing it?...

My 2022 M3 is white. When I had a M3 white 2019, I was the only one around. Now, when I stop at a red light on a busy street, I'll count: 2 white M3s, 1 white X and a white Y.

If you notice the picture of my M3, it has teeth. The teeth were very helpful a week ago. My wife (Carolyn) was in an ambulance for a 75 mile drive to a hospital and I followed. She was relaxed because she could see the white car behind the ambulance and knew it was me.

Sometimes it is good to be a tad different.

Last edited:
SteelClouds

People go on about the dangers of a spacer and don't think twice about putting a deeper offset rim on the same hub. Same damn thing, different way to do it.

I have read all the above posts for and against spacers and was still undecided until I read the above posts by SleelClouds. To me they are very informative, logical and eased the stress regarding damaging the car.

This coming Monday, I'll have the spacers put on, under my watchful eye and If I detect anything negative after driving a few miles, I'll have them taken off and never look back again.

Why am I doing it?...

My 2022 M3 is white. When I had a M3 white 2019, I was the only one around. Now, when I stop at a red light on a busy street, I'll count: 2 white M3s, 1 white X and a white Y.

If you notice the picture of my M3, it has teeth. The teeth were very helpful a week ago. My wife (Carolyn) was in an ambulance for a 75 mile drive to a hospital and I followed. She was relaxed because she could see the white car behind the ambulance and knew it was me.

Love those comments. So many people just re-state what they've heard, how it changes geometry, how it wears out the bearings...all true but in such a small amount, you won't notice it driving, even in extreme situations...nor will you probably have the car long enough to realize a shorter life of the bearings. I'd like to see one concrete example of someone who drove with a mild spacer like what's described above, and their bearings wore out significantly earlier than a car without spacers.

Most likely you just want to have it look better, and not taking it to the track on the weekends. If so, do it, and enjoy them. The car certainly in my mind looks much better when the wheels are more flush with the fenders.

Love those comments. So many people just re-state what they've heard, how it changes geometry, how it wears out the bearings...all true but in such a small amount, you won't notice it driving, even in extreme situations...nor will you probably have the car long enough to realize a shorter life of the bearings. I'd like to see one concrete example of someone who drove with a mild spacer like what's described above, and their bearings wore out significantly earlier than a car without spacers.

Most likely you just want to have it look better, and not taking it to the track on the weekends. If so, do it, and enjoy them. The car certainly in my mind looks much better when the wheels are more flush with the fenders.

Thanks for the thought

I don't drive the car that much, possibly 10,000 miles a year. Not enough to do any harm and never to the track.

It seems like, from I am reading, spacers really won't do damage if done correctly which leaves making the car look good to my eyes. That I like!

SteelClouds

Why am I doing it?...

Have a pic of the car with the spacers installed?