Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

to keep plugged in or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If one doesn't drive much, for battery life, is it best to charge it to 80% then wait until it hits like 40 before charging. Will it be better to keep it plugged in and it will stay at 80%? I read somewhere that like 56% or so was the very best spot to keep it to prevent battery degradation. Any thoughts on this?

I read somewhere that like 56% or so was the very best spot to keep it to prevent battery degradation. Any thoughts on this?

Since you asked for "any thoughts on this", mine is that you can read more about this than you could ever possibly want to, in the gigantic range / battery thread:

Reactions: ay221
If one doesn't drive much, for battery life, is it best to charge it to 80% then wait until it hits like 40 before charging. Will it be better to keep it plugged in and it will stay at 80%? I read somewhere that like 56% or so was the very best spot to keep it to prevent battery degradation. Any thoughts on this?

You do not need to worry that much.
The battery will hold up anyway.

If you still would like to minimize the degradation, here is the facts:

80% is not at all the best SOC for minimizing degradation.

The lower the SOC the lower the degradation. Period. This is actually valid all the way down to 0% SOC.

D6397C67-3915-456D-B4BF-B73E38234EA0.jpeg

If your car is a LR or Performance look at the graph to the left (NCA cells).

There is a sharp reduction of degradation if the battery is below 55-60% SOC depending on the ”central graphite peak”.

This is when the car is not used and is caused by calendar aging.
[Time x SOC x temperature] is what drives calendar aging.

For cyclic aging : the smaller the cycles, the less cyclic aging.
The lower SOC during the cycles, the less cyclic aging.

All above is taken from research reports and research battery tests.

From the above you can see that 56% is not the best selection to minimize degradation. Staying below 55-56% true SOC is good, as it is below the sharp step where degradation is higher, but it is not as good as SOC levels even lower.

50-55% will be a good selection to stay below the sharp step and still have good range.
Tesla cars show SOC a little different compared to real SOC. This is because of the bottom buffer which is 4.5% below 0% on the screen.
Because of this , 55% on the screen is about 57% true SOC and the research reports of course refer to the true SOC in their tests and reports.

To minimize degradation:
- Do not charge to a higher SOC than needed. When possible, charge just in time before the drive (keeps battery at low SOC when the car is not used).
- Charge often. Smaller cycles/ many (small) charging sessions is better.

Reactions: ay221 and gaswalla
If you set charge level to 80% and a few hours later your street has a power failure that lasts a day or so will everything continue charging or will you have to reset in some way ?

Depends on whether you have setup a specific time to charge, or charge leave time or something. With that being said, this is a non issue because you can start the charge from the app on your cellphone in like 2 clicks.

Not understanding this. If my power is out my home network is out as well. I thought the car needed wifi access to communicate with the app unless I am missing something.
Well it's obviously not going to charge WHILE the power is out, so we're talking about getting it resarted after the power comes back. It should happen automatically no problem. The other answer is that you get remote access to the car through the cellular network if WiFi is unavailable.

Well it's obviously not going to charge WHILE the power is out, so we're talking about getting it resarted after the power comes back. It should happen automatically no problem. The other answer is that you get remote access to the car through the cellular network if WiFi is unavailable.
Thanks. Must have a problem then. Was out of town and had a power failure. Could not contact the car thru cell service. Had to reboot upon arrival.

You do not need to worry that much.
The battery will hold up anyway.

If you still would like to minimize the degradation, here is the facts:

To minimize degradation:
- Do not charge to a higher SOC than needed. When possible, charge just in time before the drive (keeps battery at low SOC when the car is not used).
- Charge often. Smaller cycles/ many (small) charging sessions is better.
I think I might experiment of leaving it around 50% charge to level and charge it daily.

Reactions: AAKEE
Status
Not open for further replies.