Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is Tesla, they could raise the price again or more likely just stop offering the upgrade...

AbSoFreakinLutely !!!

Try to get a Ludicrous Upgrade on a P85D now. NOPE. Tesla stopped offering it ~ 4 years ago... and installed the last one ~ January 2018.

IMG_4725.png

IMG_4728.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: blitzpa
Just a note: I have 2016 MS AP2 with FSD and Sentry Mode and Tesla Cam works after the HW3 upgrade; I still have the MCU1 and I'll do the EMCC recall only for now as I still have 3 years of the ESA and maybe something will break so I only have to pay the deductible :D (already had all 4 door handles, front suspension and steering column shaft changed in the first year of ESA :cool:)

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
Try to get a Ludicrous Upgrade on a P85D now. NOPE. Tesla stopped offering it ~ 4 years ago... and installed the last one ~ January 2018.

Off-topic but since you brought it up, how was this handled back then? Did people get a warning it was going away? I only recently got a P85D used with Insane+ so I wish it could still be upgraded to Ludicrous somehow. Even if Tesla won't do it at a Service Center, will they sell the parts? Since the previous owner didn't do it within that window you make a good point about the Infotainment upgrade.

I'm scheduled for the MCU2 upgrade on our X next week. I'd rather just pay for the upgrade while it is offered rather than wait months for some free fix through the recall process which will just be a new eMMC for MCU1.

Owner of July 2017 Model S here (AP2.0 Enhanced AutoPilot and MCU1), I have my MCU2 upgrade scheduled at Costa Mesa SC for March 2nd. My $1500 upgrade invoice ($1616 with tax) clearly shows that it includes HW3 Upgrade (AP3). So for those wondering if the AP gets upgraded, it appears mine will be upgrade from AP2.0 to AP3.0 which is awesome since Enhanced Auto Pilot is good enough for me - I dont need the car to change lanes and read street lights for an additional $5,000.

Off-topic but since you brought it up, how was this handled back then? Did people get a warning it was going away?
Yes, way ahead of time (even before the first upgrade was performed). It was announced it was going to be available for 6 months and only to original owners who purchased before ludicrous was annouced. Tesla offered it for ~18months and did not enforce the "original owner" or "purchased before ludicrous available". So bottom line is that it was offered to more people for way longer than announced.

Even if Tesla won't do it at a Service Center, will they sell the parts?
No, Service Centers can no longer order the upgrade kits for the 85 battery (nor do they train their new techs in how to perform it, as it is a bit involved). Your best chance of an upgrade would be the aftermarket guys, but they will void your battery warranty AFAIK (the upgrade involves taking the main battery apart and swapping internal parts).

Last edited:
Owner of July 2017 Model S here (AP2.0 Enhanced AutoPilot and MCU1), I have my MCU2 upgrade scheduled at Costa Mesa SC for March 2nd. My $1500 upgrade invoice ($1616 with tax) clearly shows that it includes HW3 Upgrade (AP3). So for those wondering if the AP gets upgraded, it appears mine will be upgrade from AP2.0 to AP3.0 which is awesome since Enhanced Auto Pilot is good enough for me - I dont need the car to change lanes and read street lights for an additional $5,000.
It seems to be SC dependent. Some were reporting that, since the new price, they did not get the HW3 upgrade included. It would make sense for Tesla to just upgrade these cars when they have a chance so they don't have to work on them later.

Off-topic but since you brought it up, how was this handled back then? Did people get a warning it was going away? I only recently got a P85D used with Insane+ so I wish it could still be upgraded to Ludicrous somehow. Even if Tesla won't do it at a Service Center, will they sell the parts? Since the previous owner didn't do it within that window you make a good point about the Infotainment upgrade.

To get the Ludicrous upgrade on a completed P85D you had to order it from a Tesla Service Center, pay a 10% deposit, then wait for the Service Center to contact you when parts became available. The Ludicrous Upgrade offer expired a couple of years ago... and Tesla stopped doing Ludicrous Upgrades a few months later after all Ludicrous Upgrade customers had been contacted to install their upgrade... and either scheduled for installation or refunded their deposit. Obviously your previous P85D owner didn't order or complete the Ludicrous Upgrade process.

I seriously doubt Tesla will sell you the Ludicrous Upgrade parts for your P85D let alone install them. That ship has sailed. I think there's an independent Tesla company who may do a Ludicrous upgrade with a 90kW battery upgrade = P90D aka P90DL.. and did one for TMC user Hank Lloyd Wright ? TMC search should find it if my memory is correct.

P85D owners who ordered and paid for the Ludicrous Upgrade during the time Telsa offered it were then contacted by their Tesla Service Center to schedule their Ludicrous Upgrade as parts and shop time became available. Typically took a full day since the 85kW HV battery had to be completely drained to 0%, dropped from the vehicle, then installation of a newly designed fuse and inconel contact, firmware upgrade to acknowledge Ludicrous power and add underline to P85D in the displays and also the rear P85D badge. Definitely more involved than the simple software Ludicrous Upgrade on P90D's and P100D's. IMHO this was a bargain for those of us early P85D buyers who got this upgrade for $5,000 (vs. $10,000 for all subsequent Ludicrous upgrades on P85D's, P90D's and P100D's.

Now back to the "To MCU2 or not MCU2" subject.

Add my list of very satisfied MCU2 upgrade customers. Feels like a new car again!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dark cloud