Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I caved. My 2017 is in for the upgrade now. My mcu1 was freezing more and trying to stream and navigate was annoying. I hope to keep.the car a while and wanted to take advantage of the unlimited free data while I have it. I thought about the emmc replacement but I didnt feel like arguing with Tesla since I didnt have a black screen and most reports say the mcu still sucks even after replacement. I still think they drop the price to $1000-1250.

and Voice commands with MCU2. They WORK. Typically quickly. Rarely does the voice command just ignore you like MCU1 does.

Oh, streaming music/switching between streaming services without causing lockups/freezes/black screens. GLORIOUS!

Reactions: BrokerDon
oh, and now when I say "navigate to xyz"? the navigation starts almost immediately vs 5 mins later and/or after I've driven for a few miles past whatever the initial entrance ramp/exit ramp/turn/whatever, the navigation was telling me but couldnt due to MCU1 delay/lag

I just can’t justify it for an AP1 car. A more responsive screen would be nice, but I won’t play games and don’t need Netflix. I’ve driven a friend’s 3 and other newer Tesla’s and still find voice commands to be less than compelling/helpful. I wish I could justify it, just seems like with AP2 or higher, you get much more value.

Reactions: OrbiterTI4
Got my car back today. The process took 24 hours. Everything works just like everyone has described in this thread. The functionality of it is night and day. With the upgrade I see no reason to trade in unless I have too many maintenance costs now post warranty.

However one thing I did notice after driving a model 3 loaner.

The screen on the model s still appears to be of a lower quality than the model 3. It's a combination of the brightness and refresh rate but you can tell the difference. The model 3 screen is much better. I'm sure this changes with the refreshed model SX but unfortunate they didnt bother updating the screen for 3 years

Last edited:
I just can’t justify it for an AP1 car. I wish I could justify it, just seems like with AP2 or higher, you get much more value.

I totally agree, I'm upgrading our AP2.5 car and not the AP1 car. It seems that AP1/MCU1 is a better hardware/software match than AP2 or AP2.5 with MCU1. I have no issues with black screens or freezing on an AP1/MCU1 S, however MCU1 on our AP2.5 X is completely unreliable and frequently crashes. So a 3 years older MCU performs better. Could be eMMC related but I also assume the AP2+ hardware/software is just a lot more load on the MCU.

Reactions: AustinP and elguapo
I just can’t justify it for an AP1 car. A more responsive screen would be nice, but I won’t play games and don’t need Netflix. I’ve driven a friend’s 3 and other newer Tesla’s and still find voice commands to be less than compelling/helpful. I wish I could justify it, just seems like with AP2 or higher, you get much more value.

In general I agree with you. The big win with the upgrade has been the elimination of the 5 minute boot-up times, the random screen blackouts, janky behavior from the nav, inconsistent voice controls, etc. The is all after they replaces her original MCU1 for a litany of other problems. The X is my wife's and these things have gotten progressively worse with each SW update which means her rants to me have gotten commensurately longer. The upgrade has fixed those so she is much happier with life. We have an ESA on the X so we'll hold onto it for at least another couple of years, so the payoff in usability for us was worth it. YMMV

Reactions: elguapo