Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The normal size is pretty damned big.
Yes but it used to be full screen. Pretty lame that they took that away.

I had the upgrade done a couple of weeks ago. Definitely worth it just to have a working browser. A lot of people dismiss the browser but it is my favorite feature of the touchscreen.

I lost all of my settings during the upgrade, including the Trip A that I had never reset since the car was new. I took a picture of all the screens before I handed it over to the service center, so I didn’t care and wasn’t surprised.

Yes but it used to be full screen. Pretty lame that they took that away.

I had the upgrade done a couple of weeks ago. Definitely worth it just to have a working browser. A lot of people dismiss the browser but it is my favorite feature of the touchscreen.

I lost all of my settings during the upgrade, including the Trip A that I had never reset since the car was new. I took a picture of all the screens before I handed it over to the service center, so I didn’t care and wasn’t surprised.

I'd view not bringing those old settings forward as a plus. As you probably heard before, techs often told us we need to delete all the old stuff or reset. Sad as it is to have to set things up again, - avoiding what could have been damaged or bad/risky files being brought over and affecting a fresh MCU. Pain as setting up again is, still could have been best for you car.

Mine is done. Cost $6k+ - somehow my card was run twice. Then in fixing it I needed to pay again. They think it’s all resolved, will see if the transactions go pending to charged or they just drop off.

just like a new car, except the carpet is still dirty, still have the dent and the paint chips, and one tire is worn out and the other 3 are 1/32 away.

dont really care about the browser, but this is the first time in 4 trips I’ve made 250 miles without the center screen or the IC (or both) going blank. Yea!

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
On a side note. I just don't see how MCU1 will ever work with FSD. Now my car displays turn markings on lanes which seems essential. And how will the navigation system on MCU1 ever keep up with feeding data to the fsd AP computer. Maybe Tesla will just never deliver FSD to MCU1 cars until they all are at EOL

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
Last edited:
I'm wondering if it's maybe those like myself who paid $1,300 to have their MCU 1 fixed. Maybe now they're willing to, instead of giving you the money back, giving you the MCU 2. I'd certainly take them up on it.

If true I'm sure there will be alot of requirements. Must have documented symptoms with SC of emmc failure etc. People that paid voluntarily because they didn't feel like arguing with SC won't get reimbursed

This is the email I just received:
upload_2021-3-5_13-9-46.png

The twitter guy was so wrong lol. I tried and it says I'm not eligible. Because tesla never "diagnosed" mine as failing and I voluntarily upgraded.

I'm pretty sure that's not what it means. It's terribly unclear. The "not eligible" part just says you didn't have the eMMC repaired by Tesla so you can't get reimbursed for that. You can still file a 3rd-party repair claim.

This is pretty clear: 8GB eMMC Reimbursement Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited: