Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the cars built before the second quarter of 2015 and upgraded to the MCU2, is anyone noticing an increase in vampire drain? If yes, by how much?

Thanks.
I have observed a reduction in the Phantom Drain since MCU2... see the Tesla Stats app data below.

1618280919897.png

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Coming back as promised with some observations on sleep patterns and vampire drain.

The car is a 2015 85D, 73xxx miles. In service date 4/9/2015; delivered to me and factory reset on 4/8/2021. Battery degradation is somewhere between 1 and 1.5%.

Below are two ‘State’ charts from TeslaMate, one for the 7 days immediately leading up to dropping the car at the service center for the Infotainment Upgrade on 4/16; the other for the 7 days immediately up to a few moments ago. They pretty much speak for themselves - no long periods of sleep since the MCU2 install, and the same ‘offline’ periods when not connected to wifi that others have reported.

3A82D019-DCC5-4E04-BE82-8ABF8375D761.jpeg

MCU1 / 2020.48.37.1

C1BCB64D-50B2-4F23-BDC2-3D74B47C1E6D.jpeg

MCU2 / 2021.4.15

And the vampire drain as calculated by TeslaMate:

B3433947-55B3-4169-B8CE-147A62D607F3.jpeg

A quick note: during line 5 above, 4/18 3.20 - 4/19 11.48, for at least the initial period the car was downloading and installing a pretty hefty navigation update which perhaps accounts for the higher power consumption. Disregarding that line, though, it’s still pretty clear that the car sleeps less and consumes more power in the background with the MCU2. Not enough to cause major headaches, but interesting nonetheless.

Cheers

JB

I read this to say that the cost is $2000 if you're receiving MCU2 plus AP3 and the cost is $1500 if you are only receiving MCU2; isn't that what 'for all other vehicles' means?
This is correct. Just upgraded to MCU2 this week on my 2017 model s with FSD and AP3 hardware (updated earlier to AP3 from AP2.5 for free since I had FSD). MCU2 upgrade cost was $1,500 plus tax, not $2,000.

Reactions: Akikiki
No. I asked about it, as some here were reporting that the tuner was included at no extra charge. It was $500 extra. I did not get it, as I don’t really listen to the radio.

I definitely appreciate everyone’s input on this forum, as we go through the similar experiences of Tesla ownership.

Reactions: AndrewTX
OMFG, it is like night and day. So many more tones in the album covers on Spotify, even in night mode the geographical features on the map are visible in five shades of gray. Lag for map loads is 1s or bit longer, nothing like earlier.

Car charges at 40A finally (was 30A on MCU1) on my 50A circuit, and the the 150kW SC i got 96kW with initial 20% SOC.

Oh yes, this will tie me through until 2023.

Coming back as promised with some observations on sleep patterns and vampire drain.

The car is a 2015 85D, 73xxx miles. In service date 4/9/2015; delivered to me and factory reset on 4/8/2021. Battery degradation is somewhere between 1 and 1.5%.

Below are two ‘State’ charts from TeslaMate, one for the 7 days immediately leading up to dropping the car at the service center for the Infotainment Upgrade on 4/16; the other for the 7 days immediately up to a few moments ago. They pretty much speak for themselves - no long periods of sleep since the MCU2 install, and the same ‘offline’ periods when not connected to wifi that others have reported.

View attachment 656441
MCU1 / 2020.48.37.1

View attachment 656442
MCU2 / 2021.4.15

And the vampire drain as calculated by TeslaMate:

View attachment 656443

A quick note: during line 5 above, 4/18 3.20 - 4/19 11.48, for at least the initial period the car was downloading and installing a pretty hefty navigation update which perhaps accounts for the higher power consumption. Disregarding that line, though, it’s still pretty clear that the car sleeps less and consumes more power in the background with the MCU2. Not enough to cause major headaches, but interesting nonetheless.

Cheers

JB
JB i do find your data a bit eyebrow-raising. As you say, this may not cause a headache, but this is very substantial wasted energy nonetheless. It's like leaving a really inefficient incandescent light on 24/7. It would gnaw at me knowing the car is sitting there constantly burning energy.

Ostensibly this is due to a few factors, a big one being much less sleep. Why would the new MCU decide to sleep much less, and is there a way to mitigate this?

Reactions: Yurand and Droschke
I requested the appointment last Friday and they took me in this Tuesday morning at 8:30AM, at the newish Irvine Tesla Service Center near the District. What a great facility, you drive right into the garage which was huge and full of cars on lifts. They gave me Uber credits so I could get to work, and before 3PM they texted me to say that the work was completed and I could come pick it up. Used Apple Pay on the phone to take care of the $2000+tax upgrade fee, and took an Uber back, where my car was waiting and ready for me. Now with MCU2 the map renders so much quicker, Hulu, Netflix, etc. are working, and I've also got Caraoke! So far so good, it seems like a good upgrade at that price, and I believe the invoice even said that HW3 was installed too. I wonder what that does?

I requested the appointment last Friday and they took me in this Tuesday morning at 8:30AM, at the newish Irvine Tesla Service Center near the District. What a great facility, you drive right into the garage which was huge and full of cars on lifts. They gave me Uber credits so I could get to work, and before 3PM they texted me to say that the work was completed and I could come pick it up. Used Apple Pay on the phone to take care of the $2000+tax upgrade fee, and took an Uber back, where my car was waiting and ready for me. Now with MCU2 the map renders so much quicker, Hulu, Netflix, etc. are working, and I've also got Caraoke! So far so good, it seems like a good upgrade at that price, and I believe the invoice even said that HW3 was installed too. I wonder what that does?
HW3 is needed for FSD if you ever decide to go that route