Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 90D AP1 upgraded to MCU2 on tuesday. The process took only a few hours and I'm very pleased with the result. All my settings remained unchanged, I only had to reconnect to my home wifi.

I have the premium sound system, with MCU2 the sound quality is as good or even better once you activate the immersive sound in the settings.

I also paid for the FM/SiriusXM upgrade and everything is working fine.
Everything gets displayed so much quicker and I finally got several software updates (sounds like MCU2 cars get the updates before MCU1) I went to 2020.48.35.5 the same day and yesterday to 2021.4.3.

Both screens have been changed. Make sure to check that the protective film has been removed from the MCU, I noticed mine was still on yesterday, i could see some bubbles forming on the top left side of the screen.

The backup camera is a little bit darker at night, hopefully will get fixed with a software update as the camera itself was not replaced. I didn't check yet with 2021.4.3. I don't know what the technicians need to do in the trunk but I noticed that they opened the trunk during their work (frunk and trunk were both open at the same time, according to the app when I checked)

The process took only a few hours and I'm very pleased with the result. All my settings remained unchanged, I only had to reconnect to my home wifi.

That is great to hear, but just a note for others- not all experiences are the same. My MCU2 upgrade (on a Dec 2017 X that already had been upgraded to HW3) took 5 days. In addition to wifi, we also had to re-pair our phones.

We dropped it off a week ago, on Thursday morning. They said it would be done by Friday EOD. Late on Friday, they said whoops, we need it for 3 more days, it will be ready Monday EOD. Late on Monday they said whoops, we are having trouble, we are not sure how much longer it will take, but maybe Wednesday EOD. I said we would need a loaner. 5 minutes later I got the bill, which I assumed (correctly) meant it was done. They were closed by then, so we picked it up Tuesday morning.

We were charged $1500 plus tax. Our car was subject to the emmc recall, although we had not had emmc problems yet.

We did have a ton of similar crashes and freezes caused by poorly tested firmware in our mcu1/HW3 hardware. We could avoid them by clearing caches and not using sentry or Teslacam or navigation, but that was a serious usability hindrance. Tesla theoretically would have fixed the firmware eventually, but there was no timeline and Tesla doesn't have a good track record on fixes for older cars...and the random crashes and freezes seemed like a potential safety issue. So I filed an NHTSA report, and we got the mcu upgrade solely to get our car working safely again - we had no interest in the new features.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thank you! Has anybody heard if they are offering any further reduction of price throuh the recall? In other words - $1500 upgrade, or $x price if your car is included in the recall?
Every car that could possibly utilize the MCU2 upgrade is eligible for the recall.

Only possibly exception is those that had the eMMC replaced 3rd party and they haven't said what will happen to those. Given that people had them fixed to keep from getting stranded I hope they end up covered.

Reactions: rickyjb
Thanks for this feedback.

With my AP1 car, I'm tempted, but then when I ready your feeling on the browser, not so much. It is basically the only app not working that I miss (TeslaWaze, opening web pages from the Navigation's POI)

Essentially, my MCU1/AP1 works quite ok. Slow but it works: Spotify, TuneIn works flawless, as well as the other apps (Nav, Voice...).
I might indeed keep the money and buy a new tablet.

One of the major reasons I am upgrading is to restore the working browser for Tesla Waze. :cool:

Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information (teslawaze.azurewebsites.net)

Reactions: BrokerDon
I just got my 90D AP1 upgraded to MCU2 on tuesday. The process took only a few hours and I'm very pleased with the result. All my settings remained unchanged, I only had to reconnect to my home wifi.

I have the premium sound system, with MCU2 the sound quality is as good or even better once you activate the immersive sound in the settings.

I also paid for the FM/SiriusXM upgrade and everything is working fine.
Everything gets displayed so much quicker and I finally got several software updates (sounds like MCU2 cars get the updates before MCU1) I went to 2020.48.35.5 the same day and yesterday to 2021.4.3.

Both screens have been changed. Make sure to check that the protective film has been removed from the MCU, I noticed mine was still on yesterday, i could see some bubbles forming on the top left side of the screen.

The backup camera is a little bit darker at night, hopefully will get fixed with a software update as the camera itself was not replaced. I didn't check yet with 2021.4.3. I don't know what the technicians need to do in the trunk but I noticed that they opened the trunk during their work (frunk and trunk were both open at the same time, according to the app when I checked)

Question for you - you said "both screens have been changed"? Is that accurate and normal ?

I ask because I had the upgrade done yesterday and one item I noticed right away was the driver screen (behind wheel) is darker. The new MCU screen looked great, but I feel like the other is too dim. I have not seen others speak to this, but it did bother me right away. It does adjust if I go to manually change brightness, so its "working" but the brightness level between the two screens are not equal. Anyone else see this?

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Question for you - you said "both screens have been changed"? Is that accurate and normal ?

I ask because I had the upgrade done yesterday and one item I noticed right away was the driver screen (behind wheel) is darker. The new MCU screen looked great, but I feel like the other is too dim. I have not seen others speak to this, but it did bother me right away. It does adjust if I go to manually change brightness, so its "working" but the brightness level between the two screens are not equal. Anyone else see this?

I've kind of noticed that. Particularly with some of the background details like the speed markings on the speedometer.

I am experiencing the same thing as well. It doesn't really bother me, but it is definitely a smidge darker than the big screen. From what I've been told, the Infotainment Upgrade is comprised of MCU1 (big screen) and IC1 (the instrument cluster/second screen) being replaced with MCU2 and IC2. Supposedly IC1 isn't compatible with MCU2

• Funny
Reactions: OVB1 and Akikiki

Yes, the Instrument Cluster (IC) is changed as well as the MCU. The IC used with MCU1 is not compatible with MCU2, it must be replaced.

Same here. Definitely a difference for sure.