Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a March 2018 build P100D and must have missed MCU2 by a few days. The mcu1 experience was horrible and would crash and was extremely slow and I got the MCU2 upgrade as soon as it was available last year. User experience has greatly improved, but I do wish it was still faster. In this age of 120hz screens on cell phones and minimal input lag it would be nice to have similar performance in the car. Youtube and the entertainment apps still take a while to load and there is a lag but it's a much better experience vs mcu1. I would recommend the upgrade, it would be amazing if they could offer mcu3 for older cars but that's extremely unlikely.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
inv mcu.jpg

My car is AP1. I don’t really care about sentry mode.
BTW, while AP1 cars don't see some improvements that AP2+ do, I will say that the AP1 definitely seems more stable and precise. I don't know if it's because of the processing power, or, the fact that im not nitpicking every little twitch! Good luck and I believe you will be very satisfied. The immediate depreciation and other costs of a new car are less than the upgrade for sure.
I agreed that AP1 doesn’t gain much w MCU2...a free emmc upgrade make better sense.

Sentry(no sentry), Netflix, caroake, gaming are not worth the $1500...can’t use most of these for the kids while car is in motion

I spent the money and get LTE UPGRADE...3G will soon

I have a 2016.5 (august 2016) build refresh MS90D. Yes.....power liftgate.
Thanks, mine is a nose cone 2016 with the tech package. When I had the MCU2 upgrade, there was no line item for "Rear View Camera HSD Jumper (1127304-00-B)" and I'm having the dark camera at night issue.

I wonder how many other upgraders have the dark backup camera issue and did NOT get that cable.

Then again, it could be on my car and just not listed on my invoice...

Attachments

• MCU2_invoice.JPG
    MCU2_invoice.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 99
A decent dashcam is about $200. Dashcam on MCU2 with multiple cameras is worth the upgrade.
My current blackvue dashcam saved me twice when a shopping cart hit my car and I had to prove whos fault it was.

Plus I like the fact of having a backup in case my blackvue fails. $1500 was a no brainer for me. If we really get a $250 discount that will be even sweeter.

Everyone who has done it says it was worth it.

Reactions: Ghosty
Thanks, mine is a nose cone 2016 with the tech package. When I had the MCU2 upgrade, there was no line item for "Rear View Camera HSD Jumper (1127304-00-B)" and I'm having the dark camera at night issue.

I wonder how many other upgraders have the dark backup camera issue and did NOT get that cable.

Then again, it could be on my car and just not listed on my invoice...

I googled "Rear View Camera HSD Jumper (1127304-00-B)" and found this page:
Model S and Model X : Tesla MCU differences

That page has "MCU0" and "MCU1" listed separately, MCU0 being pre-2016. It says the same cable is needed if upgrading from MCU0 to MCU1. So I guess it's also needed for MCU0->MCU2? So you didn't need it because you have a 2016 car.

I'm pretty sure all MCU2's have the dark camera issue. Even new cars, not just retrofits. But it depends so much on the user if he notices it. I personally don't feel it's an issue at all, even though I do see it is darker.

Reactions: Akikiki and duunoit
This has been a helpful discussion. My take from the observations above is that MCU2 is a big deal for cars with AP2, and above, and somewhat helpful for AP1 cars because they are stretching the limit of the MCU1 processing power.

For non AP cars, such as mine, it doesn't seem to be necessary. My three year old MCU1 (LTE) works fine (for now!) so I'll take the 64 GB upgrade card. What I want most is peace-of-mind that the MCU won't die on me and leave me stranded, since I live 300 miles from a service center and have only one car.

This has been a helpful discussion. My take from the observations above is that MCU2 is a big deal for cars with AP2, and above, and somewhat helpful for AP1 cars because they are stretching the limit of the MCU1 processing power.

For non AP cars, such as mine, it doesn't seem to be necessary. My three year old MCU1 (LTE) works fine (for now!) so I'll take the 64 GB upgrade card. What I want most is peace-of-mind that the MCU won't die on me and leave me stranded, since I live 300 miles from a service center and have only one car.

The other tidbit, since you are old enough to have them, is if screens start leaking. The cost to replace both a leaking instrument cluster and a leaking center screen is more than the current MCU2 upgrade price.

The other tidbit, since you are old enough to have them, is if screens start leaking. The cost to replace both a leaking instrument cluster and a leaking center screen is more than the current MCU2 upgrade price.
My screen is fairly new at only three years old (warranty replacement — new, not refurbished). Doesn't leak and has only a little of the brown band around the edge (not enough to bother with, I can barely notice it). IC looks ok; I haven't heard of IC screens leaking much, not that I am paying attention. Since I already have LTE, I don't need to worry about that upgrade.

The idea was to wait until I have an actual problem with the MCU1 screen — screen leak would be an example — and then take the plunge to MCU2, when necessary. Could be that Tesla will kill the MCU1, even in older cars, with software bloat, someday. For now, I will keep the $1500 and the radio (which I use with an FM transmitter for use with my MP3 player and audio books). I have ZERO interest in all the MCU2 gimmicks, such as games, Netflix and the like.

My screen doesn’t leak or have any yellowing, and I already have LTE. For me it’s just to make it more responsive, less glitchy, have functional voice commands and a functional browser. Don’t really care about Netflix, Hulu and the like. My kids will like the games on occasion.

I did the daughter board replacement few months ago, so I aiming to get a refund on that.

Good luck with that. Here are the responses I got back from Tesla the past 2 days:

I understand your frustration. Lisa has provided you with the exact verbiage on Tesla’s stance for this cost deduction, there are no partial refunds on the infotainment upgrade purchased prior to January 21st, 2021. There are no exceptions here. We appreciate you as a legacy customer and at the site level it pains us that we cannot provide more for the customer. This is the stance of the business and we cannot override the direction given.

Tesla is constantly making strides of improvement, we will not be able to issue partial refunds for the infotainment upgrades purchased prior to the January 21, 2021. Tesla often adjusts pricing as we find more efficiencies, so that we can pass along the savings to our customers. This is in the spirit of continuous innovation and improvements. We would like to thank you for your continued advocacy.​

... in response to my email:

We paid $2,500 for the Infotainment Upgrade on December 7th after suffering with MCU1 issues for well over a year (see attached). A few weeks later the Infotainment Upgrade price dropped $1,000 to $1,500. OUCH

This is VERY disappointing since I've been a Tesla customer since 2015 and referred LOTS of new customers to Tesla including SEVERAL who bought Teslas.

We also bought the most expensive Tesla in 2015 ($130,000+ P85D with EVERY option except rear facing seats) and subsequently your:

• 4-year Prepaid Service (later discontinued)
• 4-year Extended Service Plan $2,750
• Ludicrous Upgrade $5,000
• Arachnid Wheels & Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires $2,800
• Infotainment Upgrade $2,500

Because we've been Tesla "early adopters" and EVANGELISTS, we feel Tesla should REFUND $1,000 of our Infotainment upgrade... or give us $1,000 in service / parts credits. (Our P85D needs new 21" tires)

Please discuss this with someone in Senior Management... Let us know if Tesla is going to do "the right thing" for inadvertently "overcharging" us $2,500 instead of $1,500 for our Infotainment Upgrade.

Thanks!​

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka