Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 MCU works fine, BUT , I was told by SC, clear trip mileage everyday. It eats up memory and slows computer. Both of my screens have leaked for years, dont affect operations. My internet connection has never been fast, PERIOD, even sitting under an ATT tower. I only try it when I'm super charging on a trip.
I will say every software upgrade has , I mean every, messed up my normal car functions. V9 caused me not to be unable to super charge for 6 months. My car has had gremlins forever, doors and windows open or close anytime, or dont work. Lights either don't work cut off or come on when in Park. Open one door, opposite door pops open. SC gave up chasing it.
I'm a computer scientist, I giggle at the software problems. To me, it seems nothing is tested on old MCUs. You cant jam a 2021 OS in an 8 year old BIOS, the 8gb MCUs r a perfect example. You cant jam a 64 bit OS to run on 8 or 16 bit CPU, BIOS, memory. Ask Microsoft or Apple. A MCU 1 is fine in my car, upgrading to a 3 does nothing. I dont even have folding mirrors. My TPMS has never worked correctly after upgrades. It is stupid I cant request stuff be removed from my OS to free up RAM.
Bottom line, Tesla has had software and hardware glitches forever. That will never change, ever. U r driving a PC with a body on it.

Reactions: Chaserr and 2101Guy
Hmmm...I forgot about these “audio issues”. I love a good stereo...can anyone comment on if their audio quality is noticeably worse? I knew about the darker backup camera.

I had the Premium Audio upgrade and did not notice any difference after the upgrade. I paid $2500 right before they lowered the price.

The sound quality sounds the same. Sound is subjective of course but I'm sort of an audiophile so if there were a huge change then I think I would notice.

Same experience. Keep reading here there is a difference. I experienced nothing. It added one more sound stage instead.

And then there are some who claim the audio is better: Makes me want to do it just for the curiosity of determining and stating my own impressions :)

Infotainment Upgrade- Not Quite a Raven but Maybe a Crow?

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
You need HW2.5 or HW3 for Sentry recordings and Dashcam to work. Mine is going for an MCU2 and HW3 upgrade on the 18th. Have an AP2 as well.

I can confirm that AP2.5 cars with MCU1 DID have Sentry and Dashcam, but it was mostly unusable. Most of the moving videos were pixelated and when it was running, the rest of the UI would drag, so I just turned off Dashcam since I have a Blackvue already. Having upgraded to MCU2/HW3, it works waaay better, including the ability to view the clips on the screen.

Is this true, can anyone else confirm it? I'm about to purchase a 2016.5 90d. It has AP2 and I was a little bummed when I found out I won't get dashcam without also paying $10k to upgrade to FSD

Most recent info we have regarding HW3 is; No, they no longer are putting HW3 in AP2/2.5 cars with MCU2 Upgrade. Why? Report is that's how/why they dropped the MCU2 Upgrade price from $ 2500 to $ 1500. Info received from people that recently had their MCU1 AP2+ cars in, got the upgrade but didn't get HW3. When they asked why? SC personnel reported that's the $1,000 difference in the price.

• Informative
Reactions: TK16688 and namikun
So a few more observations after using this.

There does appear to be some issue with the backup cam. It's like night vision mode never kicks on.

The main screen looks much sharper and more colorful than the previous one. I've heard it's the same resolution but it just looks a lot better.

Listening to the sound system more I get the impression that the crossover and cutoff points are different than on the mcu1. A little boomier than before with more bass than I'd like going through things other than the subwoofer. There's no option for me to change this. I'm wondering if there's a bunch of options for tuning the system that's only available to techs and that these were poorly set during some of the upgrades.