Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a few more observations after using this.

There does appear to be some issue with the backup cam. It's like night vision mode never kicks on.

The main screen looks much sharper and more colorful than the previous one. I've heard it's the same resolution but it just looks a lot better.

Listening to the sound system more I get the impression that the crossover and cutoff points are different than on the mcu1. A little boomier than before with more bass than I'd like going through things other than the subwoofer. There's no option for me to change this. I'm wondering if there's a bunch of options for tuning the system that's only available to techs and that these were poorly set during some of the upgrades.

Couple more things you will notice too. Because the IC is a different one, the black looks blacker. And the upper buttons on the S-wheel no longer reboot the IC. The IC now reboots when the MCU is rebooted. Only the scroll wheels activate the reboot.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
From reports we've heard some people retained all settings others - none and a few in between. It appears that some SC techs are better at saving and restoring profiles that others. That's a guess since no one will 'fess up to the differences. So do you have some settings that you need enough to document them before you take it in, as you can put them back yourself.

You should expect to need to reconnect your WiFi. Your MCU2 has a different WiFi modem (2.4 & 5 GHz now), so your home network would not know it.

When my SC did my upgrade, they restored everything expect the WiFi connection. I thought that was normal. Mine was the first upgrade my SC had done. But since, I have heard many people say everything was gone. What's important to you?

For me, the only two things I've noticed that didn't carry over was radio favorites and Homelink. For Homelink the saved entries was present but didn't work. After trying to reprogram I eventually had to reboot the MCU to get Homelink going. Audio sounded horrible with my old settings so tweaked the EQ using the results from another TMC thread (you'll find it if you look). Backup cam is darker, but functional using creep and brakes for additional lumination. 2.4GHz WiFi-reception is better than before.

• Funny
Reactions: idealsol
Couple more things you will notice too. Because the IC is a different one, the black looks blacker. And the upper buttons on the S-wheel no longer reboot the IC. The IC now reboots when the MCU is rebooted. Only the scroll wheels activate the reboot.
That's odd. I've upgraded to MCU2 in my Model X and I can reboot the MCU and IC separately.

Car is in for upgrade right now. I'll update when I get it back. I'm posting now to ask is there anything I should definitely check before driving away with the car? Anyone have any issues after the upgrade that needed fixing?

Yes, its been reported several times. Before you drive away, use your app only. Unlock/lock the car. Start the car using the app. The issue is a few times SCs have forgotten/missed enabling the security certificates to unlock/start the car. And some what related, if they are using contactless return of your car and the certs have not been enabled, you will not be able to unlock the car and drive away. If you are picking up after hours, you will wish you had brought your spare fob.

Reactions: random155
Car is in for upgrade right now. I'll update when I get it back. I'm posting now to ask is there anything I should definitely check before driving away with the car? Anyone have any issues after the upgrade that needed fixing?
Check to make sure they didn't damage the aluminum trim above the MCU. They damaged mine pretty good. Also, they creased my dashpad as well. Have a Ranger coming to replace it tomorrow actually.

Mine was pretty quick, 8am - 12pm and done. Stereo still sounds good (premium audio). Everything looks much crisper, brighter and smoother scrolling. MCU2 is very fast compared to MCU1. I have 2 issues: 1- It appears there is some type of screen burn in on my IC screen. I can see a ghost image of my car that way it appears on the IC screen when the car is not on. 2 - my Teslaoffer automatic frunk opening no longer works. When I push the frunk button the release does not move to allow the frunk to open. It pops up (unlocks) but the actual release never opens.

Reactions: fcastrillo86
Mine was pretty quick, 8am - 12pm and done. Stereo still sounds good (premium audio). Everything looks much crisper, brighter and smoother scrolling. MCU2 is very fast compared to MCU1. I have 2 issues: 1- It appears there is some type of screen burn in on my IC screen. I can see a ghost image of my car that way it appears on the IC screen when the car is not on. 2 - my Teslaoffer automatic frunk opening no longer works. When I push the frunk button the release does not move to allow the frunk to open. It pops up (unlocks) but the actual release never opens.
Awesome they could get it done so quick! Weird issue with your IC though, doesn't the infotainment upgrade also include a physical IC1 to IC2 display swap?

Just to add another data point - my upgrade started around 8:40 am and finished around 2:30 pm. I retained all settings except Homelink and Wifi. It took a couple tries (and one reboot) to reconnect to my Eero home network.

Same thing here. Homelink remembers the name of my garage, but it just won't open it. I have to delete and set it up again. Probably because my garage door opener has a Learn button for the rolling code thing. I did not reboot for the WiFi. I just deleted it and added it again.

IC screen ghosting for a now gone and my auto frunk opener started working again after a software update. I’m very happy with the upgrade. You can see the ghosting in this picture.

Attachments

• 5F2B44C5-592A-472A-BFFA-3150CDF1E6A1.jpeg
    5F2B44C5-592A-472A-BFFA-3150CDF1E6A1.jpeg
    734.4 KB · Views: 114
weird. I can confirm that the Teslaoffer version 3 works fine with a model S with MCU2 upgrade. I did the install AFTER the MCU2 upgrade, so wondering if something was knocked loose under the frunk during their install. Try pressing the button on your Tesla offer control box twice in fast succession to reset the latch.

IC screen ghosting for a now gone and my auto frunk opener started working again after a software update. I’m very happy with the upgrade. You can see the ghosting in this picture.

For the frunk, there is a time limit that if you don't open it after certain amount of time of popping it, the latch will re-engage. I think it is a safety feature so you don't accidently popped it and it opens up while you are driving. Maybe you just waited too long the first time?

For the frunk, there is a time limit that if you don't open it after certain amount of time of popping it, the latch will re-engage. I think it is a safety feature so you don't accidently popped it and it opens up while you are driving. Maybe you just waited too long the first time?
It’s working now after a software update. The actual latch wasn’t unlatching. All is good now.