Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad I did it. I paid 2500, but at 1500 it should be a no-brainer. Browser can actually be used, screen much faster. What sealed the deal for me is being able to use Youtube and Netflix. If you watch a lot of netflix you need this. On Youtube you can stream ABCNews Live for example. Great for supercharging downtime.

Reactions: kfly212
I'm glad I did it. I paid 2500, but at 1500 it should be a no-brainer. Browser can actually be used, screen much faster. What sealed the deal for me is being able to use Youtube and Netflix. If you watch a lot of netflix you need this. On Youtube you can stream ABCNews Live for example. Great for supercharging downtime.
Why would you need Netflix in the car?...MCU 2 is only worth it for Ap2 and above car..that need the extra computer power

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Why would you need Netflix in the car?...MCU 2 is only worth it for Ap2 and above car..that need the extra computer power

Your opinion matters, but my AP1 car MCU user experience is so much better now. No more lagging when scrolling through playlists, no more random reboots, snappy menu changes, almost instant map refresh, very fast navigation routes... Im sure I could go on. No its not only worth it if you have AP2 and up. But each person puts their own price tag on what they think is important.

In my case I have an older MCU1 with only 3G connectivity, upgrading will set me back 500 which makes the MCU2 more attractive as an overall improvement. If there were to also offer a discount for forfeiting the eMMC replacement it'd be even better. Original eMMC still works fine in my MS so I'll wait and see.

my work I have a lot of downtime between calls and spend a lot of time in the car. So it's good to have the entertainment - you can do the same on your phone or iPad and I did for a long time but much easier to have it built in. I have AP2 so it was definitely worth it for that reason. Now I Have AP3 as well and it can show the cones and stop signs on the screen.

Reactions: Akikiki
Yea surprised Tesla didn't try charging him more since he was fixing so many things with one upgrade

Interesting point. That might explain why my car was covered with dirt when I picked it up. Maybe they were mad that I was getting maximum value out of the transaction.

Seriously. Doesn't anyone at these service centers own a mop and a bucket?

Reactions: viper2ko
I think I've read all the comments on this thread so far, but I still have some questions for those who know.

I have a 2013 P85. No AP. I have an MCU that really doesn't have any issues. I had my screen placed due to bubbles/leakage prior to my warranty expiring and it's still fine. with 3G, response is slow, but it works.

I considered upgrading to MCU2 when offered at $2.5k, very much thinking at $1.5k. Even much moreso if they offer a further discount due to the memory recall.

I didn't do it before because I actually DO listen to my AM radio which MCU2 doesn't have a radio. My station switched towers and it's really poor reception now so maybe this issue is now, a non thought.

My concerns ARE:

1. As a 2013 S model owner, I don't pay for connectivity. Website says to activate certain features of MCU2 such as netflix and gaming and such, some tesla owners will have to now pay for premium connectivity. premium connectivity is supposed to offer such things as satellite map views and stuff which I already have at no cost. Some places on Tesla's website states I already have premium connectivity as a 2013 model owner. If I upgrade to MCU2, will I have to pay for Premium connectivity to use all features of the MCU2 that apply to my car (I don't have AP, sentry mode, etc)?

2. I have a relatively new screen. Will they replace it again in the process of getting the MCU2 upgrade?

3. What features will I get further by getting the upgrade beyond greater bandwidth/faster reception? I'm assuming some entertainment features such as Netflix and games, but I'm losing my radio.

4. What's the story on whether Tesla will start using 5g modems? I'm 3G and if I upgrade to LTE, it's still a generation behind what is available cellular-market-wise. (I understand true mm wave 5g is not available hardly anywhere yet).

My 2013 P85 has been great, even now. free supercharging, car is still good and although I've placed a deposit for a trimotor Cybertruck, I don't plan on giving up my P85 anytime soon.

Reactions: AaronP85
The infotainment page is not saying you will have to pay for premium connectivity.

1. It is saying that those folks that do not have it already will pay for premium connectivity to get the more advanced features such as Netflix and other stuff.

2. Currently, they are not offering the previous $250 discount from the $1500 if you keep your screen.

3. MCU2 will get you a good working browser. And it will appear to be faster because it works. We do not notice much difference in actual speed between 3G and LTE, but 3G is going away in 1 year, Feb 2022. You are gambling if you decide to wait and hope Tesla offers a discount for you to upgrade to LTE separately. Don't forget, they need your car connected as much as you want/need your car connected. LTE comes with MCU2. Currently the cost for the LTE upgrade is $500.

3 - Yes you have already answered your own question about Netflix and games and losing the radio.

4. 5G? We don't know. No hint from Tesla. Your guess is as good as ours.

No offense to you, but; if you have only read this thread front to back, then you have not read all the questions and answers others have asked about MCU2 upgrade. Look around, there's hundreds more pages of 20 posts to each page to read. (Its getting more than a
little old answering the same questions again and again.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My experience.

1. I had premium connectivity. After the upgrade this still seems to be the case. Additionally I still seem to have free supercharging.

3. Yes. They have nicer games. But let's be honest. Most people will just use their phones for that. Streaming video might be useful in some scenarios. Related to this the increased performance actually makes voice commands useful. They now work the first time every time.

My thoughts on the MCU2/emmc pricing rumors.

1.MCU2 price was reduced to $1500 bc they are no longer bundling the install of HW3 with MCU2.

I don't think this is true, but if it is. Shame on Tesla and a possible lawsuit? Wouldn't this mean that they were charging people for hardware (HW3) that they claimed was included in the price of FSD. Of course some people like myself MCU1/HW3 didn't opt for the MCU2 upgrade so we got it free. But what about those that paid for the upgrade and got HW3 together.

2. They have two options, emmc replacement at say $500 that they pay for, or get the owner to pay for MCU2 $1500 (call this breakeven for MCU2 install)

So even if Tesla incentivizes buyers to get the MCU2 by say an extra $250 off, they still come out ahead vs emmc replacement at no cost. This is why I believe when the recalls start they will silently give owners the option of an extra discount on MCU2, eventually probably make it the standard price. Of course now they will allow anyone that wants to pay the full $1500.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
They might offer that discount in the future. I can see that happening if supplies for the mmc part get low. They definitely don't offer that now. This $1500 isn't being advertised as a limited time deal so you're probably safe to try to wait for another discount.

$1500 though is actually pretty reasonable imho. It's 2 screens, an atom based computer and an lte modem. If this were COTS that would be maybe $800. But this is also(hopefully) hardware that's been specced out for the wild temperature swings you see in a car.
Things that are made to survive that kind of heat get expensive fast.

Reactions: viper2ko