Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

So I have some thoughts, that I wanted to bounce off some people.

I have MCU2 in 1 Model X (2017 P100D w/FSD), and 3 other 2017 X90Ds, with MCU1 and FSD.

Obviously the 2017 X90Ds are struggling with their MCU1s, causing lots of issues, rebooting etc.

Does anyone think that now the S/X have new "MCUs", call it MCU3 (with the Gaming Computer, etc), is there a chance that there will be a form of MCU3 for past S/X. I understand the form factor is still portrait screen, but I wonder if they will use the internals from the MCU3 for some sort of super infotainment upgrade

Or should I just pay the $1500 each, and call it a day. Still enjoying Free Unlimited Supercharging hehe.

From reports we've heard some people retained all settings others - none and a few in between. It appears that some SC techs are better at saving and restoring profiles that others. That's a guess since no one will 'fess up to the differences. So do you have some settings that you need enough to document them before you take it in, as you can put them back yourself.

I'm still on V8.1. I suspect NONE of my settings will be saved.

Premium or UHFS. This may depend on when which system you have. Does the UHFS have its own amps separate from the MCU?

Ultra High Fidelity Sound $2,500

That is the option I purchased with the vehicle in 2016 and I do not notice a difference.

interior_top_view_red_tan_12-speakers1.jpg

I would be surprised if the exclusion of the FSD computer is the reason for the MCU2 price drop. I went into Service a month ago for some unrelated stuff (side mirror and charge port issues), and then they added the FSD computer install to my invoice without me asking for it. FWIW, i bought my car with the FSD feature already added.

Otherwise the price would have $1500 all along for AP1 cars.

I saw your report about this a while back and asked around in the forum and even started this thread:

UHFS sound quality after MCU1->MCU2 upgrade?

So far nobody else saying performance actually degraded but that the volume range changed and they have to turn the volume up higher. Did the range actually changed (max number) or is this due to an impedance matching change (which would be bad).

Do you have the UHFS? If so, can you verify they hooked your subwoofer back up and that it's actually working?

USFS including subwoofer work fine after our 2015 P85D's MCU2 upgrade in December.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Hello Everyone,

So I have some thoughts, that I wanted to bounce off some people.

I have MCU2 in 1 Model X (2017 P100D w/FSD), and 3 other 2017 X90Ds, with MCU1 and FSD.

Obviously the 2017 X90Ds are struggling with their MCU1s, causing lots of issues, rebooting etc.

Does anyone think that now the S/X have new "MCUs", call it MCU3 (with the Gaming Computer, etc), is there a chance that there will be a form of MCU3 for past S/X. I understand the form factor is still portrait screen, but I wonder if they will use the internals from the MCU3 for some sort of super infotainment upgrade

Or should I just pay the $1500 each, and call it a day. Still enjoying Free Unlimited Supercharging hehe.

Lets assume MCU3 is now live in the new S/X, and then assume at some point they upgrade the existing Y & 3 to that same computer... THEN they *might* think about an upgrade path. But I would put that at least 2 years out. They will want to stoke S/X sales with exclusive bits for awhile (1 year?), then IF the 3/Y get it at all.. assume a year before they would bother with an upgrade path. We waited about 2 years before ANY upgrades from MCU1 to MCU2.

Lets assume MCU3 is now live in the new S/X, and then assume at some point they upgrade the existing Y & 3 to that same computer... THEN they *might* think about an upgrade path. But I would put that at least 2 years out. They will want to stoke S/X sales with exclusive bits for awhile (1 year?), then IF the 3/Y get it at all.. assume a year before they would bother with an upgrade path. We waited about 2 years before ANY upgrades from MCU1 to MCU2.
I’d also imagine it’s fairly embedded and won’t work for the older portrait style displays. Even if it’s not, I doubt they’ll code it to where MCU3 could be displayed portrait.

Or Tesla was trying to offload some of the price in a hidden manner of the HW3 computer onto the MCU2 upgrade. Wouldn't be surprised

I think Tesla has always had the long game in mind. Do you remember when adding Supercharging to a 60 was a $2,000 option? But all they did was flip a switch. ALL, repeat all the cars including the 40 battery had Supercharging capability and could be enabled. Its just that Tesla has often had extended features built in even when we didn't pay for them.

Another story.
I am not saying 40's had Supercharging. As I recall, the theory that the distance between Superchargers was too far for a 40, so the owner had to also upgrade to 60 battery ($11,000 after delivery) to be able to enable Supercharging ($2,500 after delivery) on a 40.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

No. No, let's not assume MCU3 is now live in the new S/X. Other than a couple of random comments (guessing) there is so far no evidence that MCU3 exists for any model. These type remarks get repeated over and over - oft taken out of context such as droppping the "let's assume" part and then becomes a mess to correct later.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I’d also imagine it’s fairly embedded and won’t work for the older portrait style displays. Even if it’s not, I doubt they’ll code it to where MCU3 could be displayed portrait.

See? Another use of MCU3 without the "let's assume it exists" part. Suddenly its everywhere and everyone wants it versus MCU2 and no evidence it works or even exists.

If the mcu3 is a reality, then that might explain why Tesla reduced the price for the mcu-2 upgrade. They've got plenty of capacity to build them now, since none of the new s or X vehicles will be using them. indeed, it may explain the whole reason that they offered the upgrade in the first place. They knew this was coming. no point in wasting production capability, if you have some place you can sell it. Tied with the trouble that they were having with the MCU one, and the probable required recall it's kind of a no-brainer if you think about it

If the rumors are true then you will get a 250 discount on the upgrade if you still have the original eMMC (read the recall threads). That puts the upgrade at 1250. I will need to upgrade to 4G anyway at the end of the year (normally 500) so my upgrade cost is 750. I'll miss the radio but can always retrofit it later.
I haven't seen any references to this and I've read the threads. I saw references to those saving $250 by keeping the original screen but that was only an option when it was $2500 and their cost was $2250.
I never read it anywhere else (than an earlier post here) either. Can’t correct my post but it’s safe to say this didn’t happen for now.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
If the mcu3 is a reality, then that might explain why Tesla reduced the price for the mcu-2 upgrade. They've got plenty of capacity to build them now, since none of the new s or X vehicles will be using them. indeed, it may explain the whole reason that they offered the upgrade in the first place. They knew this was coming. no point in wasting production capability, if you have some place you can sell it. Tied with the trouble that they were having with the MCU one, and the probable required recall it's kind of a no-brainer if you think about it

The no-brainer part is that they did not want to setup another production line or maintain two productions lines for different MCUs. They could have done that when they were desperate for MCU1. Again no evidence that MCU3 or MCU4 or MCU5 exists.