Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, i did ask this question in my post but thought i would ask here.
I am planning on getting mcu2 upgrade for my 2014 MS85.
I read there are known issues with main screen bubbling and yellow tint which so far my car doesnt suffer from. However, do Tesla swapout the old main screen when they do the mcu2 upgrade for a new screen? As im worried that my car will start showing signs at some point soon.
Thanks

I'm pretty sure that's not what it means. It's terribly unclear. The "not eligible" part just says you didn't have the eMMC repaired by Tesla so you can't get reimbursed for that. You can still file a 3rd-party repair claim.

This is pretty clear: 8GB eMMC Reimbursement Frequently Asked Questions

I upgraded to mcu 2. But since Tesla didn't diagnose my emmc as failing before. I am not eligible

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
Hi guys, i did ask this question in my post but thought i would ask here.
I am planning on getting mcu2 upgrade for my 2014 MS85.
I read there are known issues with main screen bubbling and yellow tint which so far my car doesnt suffer from. However, do Tesla swapout the old main screen when they do the mcu2 upgrade for a new screen? As im worried that my car will start showing signs at some point soon.
Thanks
Yes, you will get a new MCU screen and a new IC screen with the MCU2 upgrade. Don't worry. Useless to worry anyway. You are lucky if you have not had bubbles, yellowing or goo leaking from the sides. It simply means you have one of the "mature" screens showing no problems. MCU2 will replace yours with a new screen. And your complete IC unit is replaced to include the screen itself. You will not be disappointed.

Yes, you will get a new MCU screen and a new IC screen with the MCU2 upgrade. Don't worry. Useless to worry anyway. You are lucky if you have not had bubbles, yellowing or goo leaking from the sides. It simply means you have one of the "mature" screens showing no problems. MCU2 will replace yours with a new screen. And your complete IC unit is replaced to include the screen itself. You will not be disappointed.
Perfect thanks for clearing that up!

After reading an hour this thread, looks like i need to check all app features before driving off and create an account on a game i will never play just to get my youtube premium setup?
Anything else i missed which i need to know after the upgrade?
Also, can we plug in 2 x xbox controllers for 2player games?

I upgraded to mcu 2. But since Tesla didn't diagnose my emmc as failing before. I am not eligible

Right, that disqualifies you. But for most other people who haven't upgraded to MCU2, and haven't had Tesla diagnose or repair the eMMC, and have had it replaced by a 3rd party --- they ARE still eligible to submit a claim, despite what the top of the page says.

I hope IC is going to be replaced in Europe too. I have the MCU2 upgrade scheduled for next week to my Classic 70D.

Let's try this again. A new IC is not an option, its mandatory with MCU2 replacement/upgrade. The old IC is simply not compatible with MCU2. MCU2 upgrade includes a new IC2, no getting around it. Its part of the package/cost. Does not cost you extra.

Reactions: namikun
Sorry for maybe repeating the same question others of had, but I kinda need it spelled out for me from those who have had it done.

I have a late 2016 MS (AP2, HW2.0) with MCU1. If I pay the 1500USD to go to MCU2, does Tesla upgrade me from HW2.0 to 3.0? I currently have EAP but not FSD.

Sorry for maybe repeating the same question others of had, but I kinda need it spelled out for me from those who have had it done.

I have a late 2016 MS (AP2, HW2.0) with MCU1. If I pay the 1500USD to go to MCU2, does Tesla upgrade me from HW2.0 to 3.0? I currently have EAP but not FSD.
No. Yes. We don't know these days. When the price was $2500, they were installing the HW3.0 AP engine (computer). Then after the price was reduced to $1500, a couple of posters said, they didn't get HW3.0. So, we all surmised, they stopped installing HW3.0 when the price changed. And in another turn of events, a couple more have said, Yes, they got HW3.0 with the $1500 price.

So your guess is as good as its going to get until you get yours done and can tell us about yours. I guess you know, you are not entitled to it (per Elon's statement that buy FSD and we upgrade you to HW3.0), because you don't have FSD purchased. So, there's no guarantee and you have do ground to argue for it. Maybe they will. Why they have been doing HW3.0 with MCU2 when the owners did not pay for FSD ? --- We don't know. No one's got an answer to that.

Okay?

When the price was $2500, they were installing the HW3.0 AP engine (computer). Then after the price was reduced to $1500, a couple of posters said, they didn't get HW3.0. So, we all surmised, they stopped installing HW3.0 when the price changed. And in another turn of events, a couple more have said, Yes, they got HW3.0 with the $1500 price.
Wouldn't this just be about whether you ordered your car with FSD, in which case HW3 is a free upgrade to HW2/HW2.5? I got my HW upgraded free but then had to pay $1500 to upgrade MC1==>MCU2 (which was super worth it).

How do we explain buying FSD after we take delivery then? Forgive me for saying this, I am not picking on your, however its not "but then had to pay". Why do you say, "then had to". Did someone insist you upgrade to MCU2?

The MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is not contingent on FSD. HOWEVER, we do know its really needed for FSD to perform properly. People with 2012-2015 and some 2016 AP1 cars can upgrade to MCU2 and they are not compatible, they will never get FSD - they don't have the other internal components necessary.

You may have decided to go to the SC for your HW3.0 update/swap and decided to get the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade the same time its in the SC.
or,
You may have decided to go to the SC for a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade and while there, they decided to upgrade you to HW3.0. These days we can not depend on the SC always installing HW3.0 when a car is in for service. We don't know if they will or will not since we have now heard they did not.

the real question now, unfortunately, is: pay for MCU2 upgrade, or wait and pay for MCU3 upgrade -- which may be far more capable and future-proof?
Since they released a new model S with a new screen I don't see why they would spend extra effort on a new MCU for older models. I would appreciate a 5G option for MCU2 but I don't think they'll release that either. Just my $ .02

I did the MCU2 upgrade last week on our X with AP2.5 and EAP and it included the HW3 upgrade for $2000 including the radio tuner. They didn't even ask me if I wanted the radio add-on but I just accepted it. It was worthwhile to me since it fixed the frequently crashing MCU1, added Theater and games, added Sentry/Dashcam Viewer, and enhanced driving visualizations. I'm not doing the upgrade on our AP1 S mainly because it doesn't get the HW3 upgrade and extra functionality.