Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla contacted me about my MCU2 upgrade on 3/23 of this month, confirming they will upgrade my HW from 2.0 to 3.0 included in the purchase. After taxes the total is 1629.53, which includes a line item "Additional items for Infotainment Upgrade" with a value of 0.00, which I can only assume is for HW 2.0 -> 3.0 upgrade.

EDIT: Didn't realize I could see the invoice on my app. Indeed there is a line item specific for HW3.0 upgrade

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
I wish for us AP1 owners they would do a teslacam for the front camera, I can't install a dashcam in Model S as nowhere for all the wiring to go and would just look messy. But we do have a really good camera that I see no reason why Teslacam can not at least record front and back camera's that we have on AP1 cars with MCU2 installed.
Sorry to have to say, but you are not trying hard enough to install a aftermarket dashcam. Hundreds if not thousands of us after done it, and its not left with a mess. Besides that, even if through some 'we got too much time on our hands" action on Tesla's part where they create an AP1 dashcam, you can't have too much/many dashcams. If Tesla later makes one available for AP1 and you have an aftermarket, you should leave the aftermarket in there anyway.

I wish for us AP1 owners they would do a teslacam for the front camera, I can't install a dashcam in Model S as nowhere for all the wiring to go and would just look messy. But we do have a really good camera that I see no reason why Teslacam can not at least record front and back camera's that we have on AP1 cars with MCU2 installed.
I’d imagine it’s a MobileEye licensing thing, and also the point of them not putting any development into it as there’s zero financial return for them.

I caved (after months of issues with sluggish performance) and ordered the infotainment upgrade a couple of days ago. I'm in SoCal. Appointment is set for Monday, but I got an email yesterday to say that :

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874562-00-A

...is on order. I assume that means my appointment won't be going ahead, but the Tesla app still shows the appointment as active, although no estimate has yet been prepared. Good news - I'm getting HW3 (it's a AP2/MC1 car) Bad news - it could be a wait.

Anyone know what the likely parts lead time is for the HW3 part ?

I caved (after months of issues with sluggish performance) and ordered the infotainment upgrade a couple of days ago. I'm in SoCal. Appointment is set for Monday, but I got an email yesterday to say that :

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874562-00-A

...is on order. I assume that means my appointment won't be going ahead, but the Tesla app still shows the appointment as active, although no estimate has yet been prepared. Good news - I'm getting HW3 (it's a AP2/MC1 car) Bad news - it could be a wait.

I wouldn't assume that. I got that message for months up until the day I took my car in for the appointment. The appt was rescheduled several times, first a conflict and then due to our Texas ice storm.

Reactions: controlfreak
I broke down and got the update this week coming from MCU1/AP2.5. Was getting really annoyed with the daily connection drops from the app to the car. Only way to fix it was the scroll wheel reboot which defeated the purpose of being able to initiate pre-heating with the app. Along with the increased glitches such as no sound on entry (had to select a source to get sound) loosing blinker sound and non-existent voice command functionality I could go on and on. Lead time was a week to get the MCU2 which also matched the earliest open service slot. I also got a headlight replaced with the dreaded burnt out DRL at the same time which is another irritating issue with a Model S.

First thing I noticed after the update with was how smooth the refresh rate on the GPS map was. Along with the added visualizations on the CID such as traffic lights, traffic cones, stop signs, cross walk and trash cans. With the FSD hardware I thought it would pick up on coming cars quicker but I can't say that is the case so a little disappointed in that. I have the basic audio and I think I lost a little bit of the base frequencies from music on the streaming apps although listing to music on my USB stick seems to not have changed so it just be my recollection. Side camera video and recording review from the screen is great! Response time on the touch screen is near instant. Browser is now usable though not anything near as quick as a current generation phone or tablet. Voice commands actually work the first time rather than having to repeat it several times or just giving up because it just didn't work previously! Haven't played around with the games or video streaming apps but I am overall pleased with the upgrade.

Voice commands actually work the first time rather than having to repeat it several times or just giving up because it just didn't work previously!
Sounds very similar to my experience. Voice commands are either very slow or don't work at all. The whole car feels like I'm trying to run a large spreadsheet on the latest version of Excel on a 15 year old PC. Which is essentially what we are doing, I suppose. Hoping that the upgrade gets things working smoothly. I just bought my wife a new Acura MDX, and Apple CarPlay on that infotainment system makes my 2017 Model S feel like a real dinosaur.

I don't want FSD. I just want to be able to make a phone call or change a streaming station without the car just staring dumbly at me.

Reactions: 2101Guy
For a plug and play dash cam this appears to be a popular option: IRO Dashcam for Tesla Model S Ap1 for sale online | eBay

I missed the announcement that Tesla increased the cost of MCU2 for AP2/2.5 models to $2000.
Older cars are still $1500. Apparently this just happened this week
Really? I just picked my car up this Tuesday and they charged me $1500 + tax. This included the addition of the FSD (H/W 3.0) computer even though I only have EAP. I guess my timing was good ;). Maybe too many were taking advantage of the $1000 discount. Never know with Tesla as their pricing is always all over the place.

Krash just included the cost of adding back the digital radio for that explanation. That extra $500 is the cost of the radio.
No...you need to keep your eyes on the ball with Tesla as they changed the pricing again.

From Tesla:

"Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen."

I'm probably one of the last that received the update that had AP2/2.5 at the $1500 price.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
When I scheduled my appointment originally, I got the same email. I raised the issue with my Service Center, and at the time they said "oh the part should be here in time for your appointment." I later received follow-up emails providing updated ETA for the part, and ended up rescheduling my original appointment to 10 days later.

Keep in mind this was beginning-mid February. Not sure what the current status of HW3 parts backlog is now

So i have a quote/estimate for 1500USD for the upgrade on 3/23. What are the chances they try to change the pricing on me?
I would think they would honor it if you confirmed the service date and price with them. Mine was confirmed last Wednesday and I dropped off my car on Monday (3/22). The infotainment upgrade and unrelated headlight replacement took one day to complete.

I would think they would honor it if you confirmed the service date and price with them. Mine was confirmed last Wednesday and I dropped off my car on Monday (3/22). The infotainment upgrade and unrelated headlight replacement took one day to complete.
I contacted my SC about it and they said they would indeed honor the 1500 price point as I had already scheduled it prior to the price change.