Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No...you need to keep your eyes on the ball with Tesla as they changed the pricing again.

From Tesla:

"Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen."

I'm probably one of the last that received the update that had AP2/2.5 at the $1500 price.
Wow are they requiring the radio upgrade?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have a late-2014 with AP1 and if my hopes/anticipations are correct, then in a week and a half I should get the following upgrades with the MCU2 upgrade for $1500.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken:
- Satisfy Recall (nice that I'm not having to do this just a have a bolt replaced whatever since it's a 90 min drive)
- New eMMC not only "resetting the clock", but with a theoretical 8x better lifespan
- 3G to LTE upgrade (very important as AT&T 3G is going away very soon just like their 2G is 100% gone)
- New, faster MCU that is the same version in the latest Teslas (reducing the differences between a 2014 and 2020 version)
- Instrument Console replacement (which is a big deal for me since mine is dripping and I was planning on buying a 3rd party replacement online - it'd be $1500 just to replace this alone from Tesla!)

Now, in terms of the $1,000 reduction and the HW3, that really is BS if you have FSD enabled and don't get the latest hardware. If you don't, my understanding (which could be out of date) is that it's not really applicable unless you have FSD. If they were upgrading non-FSD vehicles, then I'm really surprised that they were doing that and certainly if you paid an extra $1,000 for it, it's a good justification to feel better that maybe it increases the value of your car somewhat.

For AP1 owners like me, that logic wouldn't have made sense since we can't use HW3 and with the cost being the same, that's certainly not the true reason. The fact that they dropped the price right before the recall is what I believe the real reason to be. My understanding is that they never came up with a way to replace the eMMC by itself (which was really stupid of them, I'm sure the engineers knew failure was unavoidable), so anyone going in for just the Recall is going to be a real PITA for Tesla. It means they'd have to swap out and reprogram every older Tesla's MCU (and there are a whole ton of them) with a remanufactured one or potentially a brand new one. Recalls are serious things in this country and manufacturers go to great lengths and costs to make sure people get them done and I'm sure there are severe penalties for manufacturers who fail to meet requirements.

So, its really a no-brainer for Tesla to get $1,500 + my old MCU1 that they can use for future Recalls vs getting $0 and having a significant loss in labor and materials.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I have a late-2014 with AP1 and if my hopes/anticipations are correct, then in a week and a half I should get the following upgrades with the MCU2 upgrade for $1500.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken:
- Satisfy Recall (nice that I'm not having to do this just a have a bolt replaced whatever since it's a 90 min drive)
- New eMMC not only "resetting the clock", but with a theoretical 8x better lifespan
- 3G to LTE upgrade (very important as AT&T 3G is going away very soon just like their 2G is 100% gone)
- New, faster MCU that is the same version in the latest Teslas (reducing the differences between a 2014 and 2020 version)
- Instrument Console replacement (which is a big deal for me since mine is dripping and I was planning on buying a 3rd party replacement online - it'd be $1500 just to replace this alone from Tesla!)

Now, in terms of the $1,000 reduction and the HW3, that really is BS if you have FSD enabled and don't get the latest hardware. If you don't, my understanding (which could be out of date) is that it's not really applicable unless you have FSD. If they were upgrading non-FSD vehicles, then I'm really surprised that they were doing that and certainly if you paid an extra $1,000 for it, it's a good justification to feel better that maybe it increases the value of your car somewhat.

For AP1 owners like me, that logic wouldn't have made sense since we can't use HW3 and with the cost being the same, that's certainly not the true reason. The fact that they dropped the price right before the recall is what I believe the real reason to be. My understanding is that they never came up with a way to replace the eMMC by itself (which was really stupid of them, I'm sure the engineers knew failure was unavoidable), so anyone going in for just the Recall is going to be a real PITA for Tesla. It means they'd have to swap out and reprogram every older Tesla's MCU (and there are a whole ton of them) with a remanufactured one or potentially a brand new one. Recalls are serious things in this country and manufacturers go to great lengths and costs to make sure people get them done and I'm sure there are severe penalties for manufacturers who fail to meet requirements.

So, its really a no-brainer for Tesla to get $1,500 + my old MCU1 that they can use for future Recalls vs getting $0 and having a significant loss in labor and materials.
It's a win - win situation for you and Tesla. You get a faster, more responsive MCU with added features and to future proof your cell connection and get rid of the dripping display. All for the same cost as just fixing fixing what is broken. Tesla receives for free a donor MCU1 which they can turn around and refurbish its eMMC so that they can provide to whomever doesn't want an upgrade and only wants the recall performed. It's perfect!

So apparently the price increase (2k for ap 2.0/2.5) is related to including the HW3 upgrade. Bigger issue with this. Why is Tesla charging cars with FSD to install HW3
Agreed, if you have FSD they shouldn’t be able to upcharge you another $500. Given how delayed actual FSD is, this is almost a slap in the face for FSD owners who want to update to MCU 2. I have AP 3.0 but MCU 1 thankfully but I would be PISSED if they tried to charge me $500 more because I didn’t have the AP 3.0 in my car yet. (Side note I got a used Tesla with FSD and had the AP 2.5 upgraded to 3.0 in November 2020, so far MCU 1 hasn’t been bad enough to want to upgrade it).

Reactions: viper2ko
Agreed, if you have FSD they shouldn’t be able to upcharge you another $500. Given how delayed actual FSD is, this is almost a slap in the face for FSD owners who want to update to MCU 2. I have AP 3.0 but MCU 1 thankfully but I would be PISSED if they tried to charge me $500 more because I didn’t have the AP 3.0 in my car yet. (Side note I got a used Tesla with FSD and had the AP 2.5 upgraded to 3.0 in November 2020, so far MCU 1 hasn’t been bad enough to want to upgrade it).

Yup i got mine free with mcu1. Then upgraded to mcu2 for $1500. So much for Elon claiming all the hardware needed would be free. What a scam FSD has become. Features missing for some (visuals), older owners not getting access to beta, now charging for HW3

Yup i got mine free with mcu1. Then upgraded to mcu2 for $1500. So much for Elon claiming all the hardware needed would be free. What a scam FSD has become. Features missing for some (visuals), older owners not getting access to beta, now charging for HW3
I am so glad I did not pay for FSD. I am nearly 4 years into ownership and FSD is still beta. I remember Tesla (Elon) saying they were close and they would have something by the end of the year. That was in 2017 and we are now well into 2021 and it's still beta.

This has to be a service center mistake. Otherwise everyone with MCU1 and FSD would upgrade to HW3 first (for free) before upgrading to MCU2.
I have my appointment this Thursday for the MCU/AP upgrade and CSS retrofit. I pre-ordered FSD (and as a European haven’t seen even the glimpse of a feature yet), have been asking for the AP upgrade for a year (to which they always said: « we are doing people who also upgrade their MCU first ») and have had problems with memory corruption on my MCU since 2018 (which they never really acknowledged).

If their rationale is « we are charging you $500 for the AP computer even though you pre paid for it and clearly stated that the car was FSD capable at the time of sale » that’s exactly what I’ll be doing Thursday: I’ll tell them to drop the MCU upgrade and just do the AP and CSS (they won’t have the « parts aren’t there » excuse since they will clearly have them) and just wait until they are forced to either replace my eMCC or MCU for free. What a joke of a company..

My appointment for Infotainment upgrade is tomorrow. I ordered early last week when the price was supposedly $1500 for my AP2/MCU1 Model S. There's no estimate yet showing against my appointment in the app, although the appointment was confirmed on Friday. Will be interesting to see what they try to charge me...

Reactions: Flyguy
Those of us that paid $2500 were pleased with our upgrade and I at least for one, think it was well worth the price. And we don't begrudge that the price was lowered to $1500, even when we don't get anything of the $1,000 difference. That's just the way things work out. But to hear folks comment that the newest price at $2,000 is unfair seems... well hmm, _______. I'll let someone else fill in the blank. I recall reading how there were those that were going to take their chances that the price would fall again from the $1,500 to some number. I guess those folks are now wishing they had jumped on that bargain at $1,500. Again, that's just the way things work out. Sorry it works out that way.