Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about the key fob and the MCU2 upgrade? Do the fobs need to be "paired" again with the new MCU?
Honestly I'm not sure what the fobs are paired with ... with the MCU or another part separate from the MCU?
Does your second fob you did not give to the Service Center still work?

Tnx.
Fobs are not related to MCU2 upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Yes, and yes the second fob will work. They bring forward from your old MCU to the new MCU the security certificates that matches your fob. Think about it. They could not get the car out of the shop without your fob working on the new MCU2. So, yes, that will work.

H-o-w-e-v-e-r, this has been mentioned many times now, and maybe should be on every page here, so everyone going in sees it. Once and a while, - sometimes, the SC's tech forgets to pair the security certificates so your remote access works. Everyone that goes to pickup their MCU2 upgraded car, needs to check remote unlocking via the Tesla app to insure the pairing was completed.

After hours pickup:
What If they lock your fob in your car, so you can come by later to pickup your car, and the pairing was not completed? You can't get into your car unless you brought your other fob. Check your remote access.

The SC techs used to be able to remotely login to your car and making the pairing after you picked up the car. But we've seen posted on TMC that HQ has told SC's to discontinue remote access for security reasons. So, they may no longer be allowed to fix it remotely.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Fobs are not part of the MCU. The car will drive fine with a dead MCU.
When I did the MCU2 upgrade, I only dropped the car off with one fob and both still work fine. Even kept the driver profiles.
The security certificates are stored in MCU1 and in the Instrument Cluster. Just because the screen is blank does not mean the MCU1 is dead. On MCU2, the security certificates are still stored in the MCU, but not the IC. With MCU2, the IC is subordinate to the MCU. When you press/hold the scroll wheels, reboot both the MCU2 and IC together. With MCU1 the IC is independent. The scroll wheels only reboot the MCU on MCU1. And the upper buttons reboot the IC on MCU1.

I got the upgrade last year for faster browser response for sites like TeslaWaze, and Tesla Winds and Elevation. It definitely makes the screen more responsive. However, Tesla has removed geo location tags in a recent "update", so many interesting web sites are no longer available.
Same issue here. TeslaWaze doesn't work any more. SAD. I used it all the time to avoid speeding tickets / speed traps.

Reactions: QUBO
Heads up, now's the time to do this. It appears there is a price increase underway. I requested the upgrade via the app, and the automated estimate came back as USD $1750. I then looked at www.tesla.com/support/infotainment and it still shows the $1,500 price. I chatted back to service and they lowered the estimate back to $1,500 because that's what's on the website.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-FOR
TEGRAAP3.0 -NORTH AMERICA(9874563-00-A)

Note that the price is higher for vehicles with autopilot 2.0 or 2.5.
Also I chose to pay an additional $500 for the FM radio.
There's no additional labor.

It is interesting that so many would get the FM radio. Most of my nieces and nephews never listened to the radio. My son never listened to the radio or CDs. We have a station here that plays "Oldies but Goodies". The last time I listened to FM in the car, it was still playing 60's to 70's music. I heard it again at my Dentist office the other day and it was playing 80's and 90's but it is still called "Oldies but Goodies" LOL. And my niece doesn't even know who is Madonna.

It is interesting that so many would get the FM radio. Most of my nieces and nephews never listened to the radio. My son never listened to the radio or CDs. We have a station here that plays "Oldies but Goodies". The last time I listened to FM in the car, it was still playing 60's to 70's music. I heard it again at my Dentist office the other day and it was playing 80's and 90's but it is still called "Oldies but Goodies" LOL. And my niece doesn't even know who is Madonna.
Like oldies? Try ABC 50's on Tune In. Its the only station that I listen to car or via Alexa.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I use the FM radio to listen to audiobooks on my little Sansa Clip MP3 player, using an FM transmitter. Kludgy, but it works.

Tesla couldn't be bothered to include a 3.5 mm jack to plug the MP3 player in directly. Given that many of us, myself included, use phones via Bluetooth to listen to audiobooks nowadays, I suppose that makes sense. Audiobooks ripped from CDs work best on my MP3 player however.

Haven't actually listened to radio in perhaps five years but I always found ads and DJs annoying and prefer music on my USB drives.

Reactions: Akikiki
I use the FM radio to listen to audiobooks on my little Sansa Clip MP3 player, using an FM transmitter. Kludgy, but it works.

Tesla couldn't be bothered to include a 3.5 mm jack to plug the MP3 player in directly. Given that many of us, myself included, use phones via Bluetooth to listen to audiobooks nowadays, I suppose that makes sense. Audiobooks ripped from CDs work best on my MP3 player however.

Haven't actually listened to radio in perhaps five years but I always found ads and DJs annoying and prefer music on my USB drives.
There are lots of $15-$20 Bluetooth transmitters on Amazon that work great for this need.

Heads up, now's the time to do this. It appears there is a price increase underway. I requested the upgrade via the app, and the automated estimate came back as USD $1750. I then looked at www.tesla.com/support/infotainment and it still shows the $1,500 price. I chatted back to service and they lowered the estimate back to $1,500 because that's what's on the website.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-FOR
TEGRAAP3.0 -NORTH AMERICA(9874563-00-A)

Note that the price is higher for vehicles with autopilot 2.0 or 2.5.
Also I chose to pay an additional $500 for the FM radio.
There's no additional labor.
Your link now shows $2000 if you have AP 2.0 or 2.5!

Well, (I still say after 27-28 months of having MCU2), that the $1500-$2000 for even just MCU2 is a bargain and worth twice that. I paid $2500 and don't regret it. Worth every penny. And for almost a year, Tesla said the radio option was not possible. We showed them, that's B.S., and could be done. They declined to enable mine, but we did add it (for less than $50 too). But that's another story.

The nice thing about the Radio option right now. It does not cost you more to skip it when doing the MCU2 upgrade. If you want it later, you can schedule it and pay the same $500 to add it after. Cost no more to do it, once you sure you need it.

Reactions: FlatSix911