Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To model y or to not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright guys i got a 2016 model s 75d ap1 with autopilot not even turned on so I never used it my car looks amazing I did many things to it and gets lot of attention. i am thinking about going to a model y performance the difference would be between 10-15,000$ everything about the y is better except the looks but I just need some help would you personally sell the car and buy the y or no? I'm mostly doing it just for the tech, but I'm sure if I wait another year or two I will be able to keep both cars and just invest into real estate at the moment. thanks!

The thing with tech is, you will never be happy, it changes too fast. So if your trying to say oh I'll just wait a year for the new tech then you will be saying that every year. The best thing you can do is buy it right when it comes out and enjoy that new tech for a year before the next new tech comes.. worst is when you buy new tech then just a few weeks later it changes.

Honestly imo the Model Y looks amazing, especially in person. The S is deffinetly looking a bit dated these days, especially the interior.

Do you have kids or need to move things a lot. I really enjoy the amount of room in the Y, especially in the rear seats and trunk area. I am 6'2" and felt the M3 was too small for me. I drove a S a few times too. I really do enjoy the space and seating position of the Y.

Alright guys i got a 2016 model s 75d ap1 with autopilot not even turned on so I never used it my car looks amazing I did many things to it and gets lot of attention. i am thinking about going to a model y performance the difference would be between 10-15,000$ everything about the y is better except the looks but I just need some help would you personally sell the car and buy the y or no? I'm mostly doing it just for the tech, but I'm sure if I wait another year or two I will be able to keep both cars and just invest into real estate at the moment. thanks!
I traded in my 2018 Model S 75D for the Y. The S definitely looks better. I miss the air suspension, and the dash screen. I had a 75D, so it pretty much the slowest S, but at 4.2 sec 0-60 is still faster than my Y LR AWD. if you are getting a performance, it shouldn't matter as much since that's a faster car. What got me to change was the practicality of the Y for a family of 4. The S is very low and wide car. the Y is just easier to get in and out, especially putting kids in the back. Sitting in the back is also much more comfortable since you sit a lot higher. The new tech and longer range are also a plus. It was actually a even trade for me since the S held it value. I did paid 10k more because I upgraded the color, wheels and FSD. Otherwise I would had gotten some money back. I would say it will be hard to sell the car yourself now with everything that's going on. Tesla gave me a pretty good price for mine, it was actually 8k more than what CarMax offered me. In my state, your trade in value get subtracted from the total sales price so i saved $3200 in tax. To me, that's much better than selling the car myself since I doubt I can sell the car for $3k more than what Tesla offered me.

• Informative
Reactions: BM3B
I'm waiting it out for a bit considering all the issues we're seeing on the new MY's right now.
Stupid things like the windows rolling up before the door closes and damaging the trim. Stuff that should never happen seem to be happening months after the car was made probably due to new software containing bugs.

How ridiculous is it that people with a 2020 $60K car have to be concerned about something as rudimentary as entering and exiting the car?

Reactions: db93
I would also avoid buying the first production run of a new series or design.

those that get early models often have to put a lot of time into getting the bugs fixed.

software-only bugs I could put up with, but panel gaps and paint and other mech issues - no - I won't pay top dollar to get those kinds of flaws.

things get much better as they refine the assembly line and even the parts that they install. so much is learned and so much has to be learned and re-learned each time.

Reactions: NY_Rob
Before Tesla came along, I agree with this statement as car companies stuck to yearly updates. However it appears Tesla makes changes randomly throughout the year. Given this, when do most of you feel comfortable that the Model Y will have passed that magical first production run?

Seeing as most parts are from a Model 3 the only real issues are around the components that are really new. For example, the motors have been in production a couple years now. The battery pack as well, it's actually been improved upon slightly. The electronics are pretty much the same as the Model 3. So the main components that may actually fail have really been in production for a couple years and any improvements and fixes have been implemented already. Where you will see some build issues are around the main frame as it's all cast now, but that looks pretty good based on the teardowns and really no moving parts so that's good. Suspension is a little different. Brakes are the same. Body panels are probably the biggest place things will improve, panel gaps will get better, little chips here and there from putting things like doors and other panels together will go away as they tweak their build process. Same with paint, should get a little better but really does Tesla painting ever get perfect.. no... So really as far as the car and how it performs, it's essentially a Model 3 and that has been in production a few years. But if you want to wait for the panel alignment and paint issues to get fixed, probably won't take too much longer. Maybe 6-9 months, they have to spin up the production line again and will be super rushed to get sales to make up for this big loss in q2.

Before Tesla came along, I agree with this statement as car companies stuck to yearly updates. However it appears Tesla makes changes randomly throughout the year. Given this, when do most of you feel comfortable that the Model Y will have passed that magical first production run?

once the bug reports from users have quieted down to the 'normal' levels.

its simple. when the curve becomes less erratic and they don't have to make changes to the robots making the cars or to parts from suppliers. it takes half a year at least, to put some kind of number on it. maybe longer since tesla is not a bmw or merc or a company with 10x the history in making cars.

and yes, its the basics that tesla gets wrong. its not the high high tech. that, they usually get pretty close to right, most of the time. its body panels and crap like that. SIMPLE stuff that they cannot get right the first time.

this is all worked out with toyota and the rest of the gang. its taking tesla a long time to get a handle on quality. they still have a long way to go before they are even in the same ballpark as a toyota (just to pick a well known name that has understood what it takes to actually build sheet metal, spray it and sell it)

The last time l looked, there were pages and pages of unsold M3s on the Tesla site. I doubt there is a lot of demand for new cars right now. Hopefully they won't rush the new MYs like they did in Q1.

I wouldn’t buy the first year of ANY new model. Let the gotta-to-be-first-on-the-block suckers help Tesla work out all the first year bugs for you.

if looks are your thing, a Y is a significant downgrade to the S imo.

I had the same opinion before I watched the tear down videos and you get to see all the best practices and design flaws learned from the 3 applied to the Y

than I ordered a Y lol

I had the same opinion before I watched the tear down videos and you get to see all the best practices and design flaws learned from the 3 applied to the Y

than I ordered a Y lol

I think this hits the nail on the head, they took everything they learned from making the 3, improved upon it or reused it and made the Y.. if anything I wouldn't buy a 3 right now until they do the reverse. The Y is where all their improvements went. Sure might have a few panel gaps or paint chips.. but mine was actually really good I thought, think they certainly have had some bad apples, but not all, not to mention they still have issues on all their cars.. it's Tesla...

Reactions: Electric Steve
All my previous cars are Honda. Very happy with the basics. They just aren’t doing enough to move the needle.

not sure I care about paint quality. I never wax my car. Paint tends to get pretty gross in 5 years of me owning it anyway. As long as it isn’t like rusting....