Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Orange or not....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dave, your Roadster is very well equipped for charging! Color me "orange" for "impressed". :D

I have the original Roadster J1772 adaptor and a CAN-SR in my Roadster trunk. But you've got me beat!

And I'm not even over-prepared: In my travels (and camping), I've used all of the various connectors (J-1772, Tesla S/X/(3), 5-15, 14-50, TT-30) that I carry. If I wanted to go to the extreme, I could add some more connectors available from Tesla (some of which may not actually be in-stock):
Tesla — NEMA 14-30
Tesla — NEMA 6-50
Tesla — NEMA 5-20

Reactions: Rotarypower
So....been patiently waiting for the right car to go on the market, but, yes that patience is wearing thin. The longer I wait, the more research I do, the more restrictive my requirement are becoming. Not to go into all of the details of that, but the one major requirement was it HAS to be Fusion Red. However, I have always been intrigued by Very Orange. Something about it that is so damn cool, extremely unique, and certainly eye catching. I am wavering to expand my requirement to include this awesome color. I've always had red cars. Maybe time to expand my horizon? So, just wondering for those that have a beutiful orange roadster, is the attention overwhelming? Is everyone always looking at your car, strangers approaching you about it? Is it a narsicistic play of extreme ego and attention grabbing? Can a normal human being live with it, drive it without feeling like you are in a glass tank at a public aquarium? Do you have regrets and wish you had purchased a tamer color? Do people make jokes about your car, calling it unflattering names (the tangerine, trump car, orange mobile, etc). Seriously, this car is like a siren song to no end.

Would you do it all over again, or make a different choice?

Thanks!

My Roadster is Very Orange. I love the car and I love the color. To answer your specific questions:

It gets attention, but not overwhelming. My little three-wheeled Zap Xebra got more attention. People do look at the car, though not as much as the Xebra. People do sometimes approach me about it, but not so much as to be annoying. It does not make me feel as though I'm in an aquarium. I have no regrets at all. Six years later, I still think it's the best color. Nobody within my hearing has ever made a joke about it or called it an unflattering name. And while today I would buy a car with more safety features (I'm eagerly awaiting my Model 3) if I knew then what I know now, I would definitely buy this car and this color again. The only thing I'd have done differently would have been to buy it sooner.

IMG_2874_zpsmuf8gqdl.jpg

And the Xebra:

Yevette_zpsq4twj0q7.jpg

Reactions: dhrivnak and ModelX
Well I must admit the attention is as expected. Had one person taking pictures at a stop light and allot of other peeps taking pictures in parking lot. I am normally a reserved person but I'm not at all bothered by the attention it's getting. I'm a project engineer and work at a design center. Oh the geekdom that occurred the first day I brought it into the office was incredible. Had to give coworker rides and had so many peeps stopping by my desk I got no work done that day. It has been allot of fun, I'm enjoying talking to people that are interested in the car. Hey the wife is liking it too so that is a big win!

I've never noticed people taking pictures of my Roadster while driving. Occasionally people take pictures while it is parked. But it seemed like every third driver on the road pulled out their phone to take pictures of the Xebra as I drove it down the street. (Probably an exaggeration. But it happened a LOT.) The Xebra got way more attention. And, FWIW, and to my great disappointment, the Roadster gets almost exclusively male attention. I can count on one hand the number of women who've approached me or shouted out their window to comment how nice the car is in the six years I've been driving it as my daily driver. And none have ever asked for a ride, though a friend once asked me to give his teenage niece a ride. Ride requests only come from men. In short, sports-car enthusiasts like the Roadster. Everyone loved the Xebra. And everyone who comments on the very orange color of the Roadster loves it. The color of the Xebra was once characterized as "garden-pest green," a description I adopted and always used when describing the car. Both fun cars, each in its way.

And, FWIW, and to my great disappointment, the Roadster gets almost exclusively male attention. I can count on one hand the number of women who've approached me or shouted out their window to comment how nice the car is in the six years I've been driving it as my daily driver.
Agreed. I see a lot of women taking pictures, presumably to send to their SOs. Rarely do I get comments from women.

In 2010, I drove my bright yellow Roadster in to the middle of a community college campus for an EV event in Wenatchee. There were other EVs there, but they were mostly conversions in white, silver, etc.

I hadn't even put it in Park before I was surrounded by a crowd of young students - perhaps 30 of them. They called out a great many questions, which I answered as I went around the car preparing for the event.

After 5 or 10 minutes, there was finally a brief pause. Then one asked, "What is it like driving a chick magnet every day?"

My response was that it doesn't work, and they should look around. All 30 students were male.

And, FWIW, and to my great disappointment, the Roadster gets almost exclusively male attention. I can count on one hand the number of women who've approached me or shouted out their window to comment how nice the car is in the six years I've been driving it as my daily driver. And none have ever asked for a ride, though a friend once asked me to give his teenage niece a ride. Ride requests only come from men.
Wow that hasn't been my experience at all. I'd say I get almost equal number of women interested in the car as men. I think there's lots of reasons for that. I used to think women were more interested in the sustainable transport aspect than performance. But over time I think that might have been an early bias because it seems like men and women all ask the same questions about performance and whether my solar panels take care of the charging needs. I'm also pretty sure I've given more women rides than men, but I haven't been counting.

Wow that hasn't been my experience at all. I'd say I get almost equal number of women interested in the car as men.

Maybe it's not the car? :p

All I get is kids. Grubby little fingerprints everywhere. But, it is worth it for their smiling faces. That, and whatever information on EVs we can tell them, they soak up like sponges.

In 2010, I drove my bright yellow Roadster in to the middle of a community college campus for an EV event in Wenatchee. ...

This reminds me of something that happened about six years ago: I went to a car show in a small town maybe an hour's drive from here. I pulled in and there were people directing traffic. They pointed, and I drove where they pointed, and they directed me into the show, not to the visitor parking! Oops. Then they talked me into filling out a show application, and the Roadster ended up tying for first place.

Wow that hasn't been my experience at all. I'd say I get almost equal number of women interested in the car as men. I think there's lots of reasons for that. I used to think women were more interested in the sustainable transport aspect than performance. But over time I think that might have been an early bias because it seems like men and women all ask the same questions about performance and whether my solar panels take care of the charging needs. I'm also pretty sure I've given more women rides than men, but I haven't been counting.

I belive @hcsharp him self is the chick magnet.

Yeah. I think the driver is a bigger factor than the car. There's probably a woman somewhere in Spokane who would like my car enough to speak to me because of the car. But mostly I think the driver is 99.9% and the car is 0.1%.

Reactions: markwj