TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

To order or not to order.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by B8BB8B, Oct 7, 2016.

1. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

Hey guys,

Last April I ordered a fully decked out P90D X. Life got in the way where I had to leave the country for work and had to cancel my order - well Tesla let me put it on hold till I come back ( 1 year hold )

Now I'm back early but I've been thrown another curve ball. I've been given the amazing opportunity to travel till next April. With that being said I just sold my house in Calgary and will be moving to Vancouver while I travel. We currently have our ICE SUV, which really does the job for now but I want to get on and re order my X ( now it will be P100D! )

I kind of want to hold off in case they do another big upgrade to the interior / exterior in the next year. On the flip side I want this thing ASAP so I can enjoy it!

A couple things that are going through my head.
    A fully loaded X is going to be a hair over $220,000. If I leave that money in the bank I'm going to make a aggressive 6-10% over the next year.

I will miss out of potential new things on the X if I hold out till next year to order.

More bugs hopefully will be worked out by next year.

Last but not least, I won't get to enjoy the car when I'm not traveling.

Thoughts?

( first world problem, I know. )

2. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Member

6-10% ?? Let me know where you are investing, I am all in :)

3. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

Way to help me answer the question....haha

6% is very doable! I have my lady in Kamloops who makes magic happen.

4. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#4 Canuck, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    You need to tell me your net worth, and how many dependents (or children you want to leave an inheritance to) before I can answer your question.

I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek because I don't expect you to tell me, but it is the answer to your question and only you can answer that question.

I will only say this: if you can afford it, life's far too short not to be driving a Tesla today -- or 2.5 years ago for me and I have no regrets (well maybe a little) buying mine before AP came out. I'm not getting any younger.

(Is your 6 - 10% guaranteed? Kamloops? Is that the residential rental market?)

5. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

I'll give you a not so in depth version.

I'm 28, married with no kids and no plan for kids right now.

I've set enough away for retirement but I will be renting for the next year while we travel.

After we are done traveling we will buy / build a house - with that being said we are in the spot where we will never need to have a mortgage again. ( Unless we do something crazy ) I could potentially retire right now but lets be honest, I am 28, I plan on working another 30 years.

I'm so torn if I should put that money to a better use or just live life.

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Money isn't everything. Your world could change tomorrow such that all the money in the world doesn't make it better/fix it. I agree that life is too short. You've been very financially responsible (and lucky????) to this point. Get the darn Tesla already. :D

7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Retirement is over rated. Family and kids make life worth living but are not cheap.

Have you had a test drive?

8. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

Test drove the S, I've been out of the country busy to get to take the X out.

I get back to Calgary on Nov 3 and have to pack up the house to move on Nov 10. Probably off to Van after that and then I will have a chance to test drive the X.

9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Ken Dryden said "Goaltending is about 50% of the game. Unless you have bad goaltending, then its 80%".

The same applies to money.

• Like x 2
  10. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Do your travels involve taking your ICE vehicle? If not, then what's the point of buying a Tesla then going away?

• Like x 1
  11. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

The end of our travels need a vehicle to tow. Other than that it will mostly be over seas.

Our plan is to do 30 days home, 30 days abroad ( we have 2 fur babies we can't leave for that long )

12. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Life is short. Have fun.

13. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Compromise?
    Buy a 90D now, don't go crazy on the options, spend about 140k-150k. Then you can enjoy now and not get killed so bad on trade later if you choose to. 90D is plenty fast.

14. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Member

There is always leasing....

15. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Good thing it's a team sport and there's a defense. So, no. I don't believe that but then I have a different view about money than a lot of people.

16. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

Lease with no job? lol

17. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

Go big or go home....hahah

Really though, already spending 6 figures on a vehicle. What's another 60k

18. Navsarin

Navsarin Member

6% in a year? (Fyi...wit oil went up 12% in just the last 1 week alone) lol.

You seem like your in a position to purchase without financial consequence however given your travels, perhaps unnecessary until your back on a more permanent basis?

The 90D suggestion is a good one I'd say.

19. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Just do it. Life is short.

20. LastGas

LastGas Member

A year without a Tesla is not worth some possible interior upgrade next year.

• Like x 2