Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To P or NOT to P...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can say that it's incredibly awesome, even though I've used it just a dozen or so times - for 20-30 miles at a time. I will be taking a road trip this coming week (550 miles round trip, so I should have a better feel for it afterwards.
I'd throw that puppy on all the time!

- - - Updated - - -

No badge, no red calipers, but the beautiful v6.2 instrument cluster clearly shows that it's a P85D.
And no, I have zero interest in autopilot. Less than zero, actually.
Fantastic, thank you for that! So you requested the removal of branding/badges all together from factory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there's even an order code for that as I found out :)
But it's easy to get off with dental floss (because on mine the factory still attached the Model S - just left off the P85D... so I had the SC remove the other part)
Yeah, if you're taking off the badge, might as well remove the 'Model S' too... After all, original Model S cars came unbadged and to the lay person who was familiar with that, they may confuse it for a 2012 Model S :p

Uhhhh.... Yahhhhhh (Office Space) Does appear you made a dubious decision... I am sure you can trade it in on a 70D and be much happier.
Yes, my 9 months old P85D car is in fact worth about as much as a new 70D. But I'm not sure how having a new 70D now would make me happier.
I think you are missing my point. The OP asked whether it's worth to spend the extra money to get a performance model over the regular model. And I am explaining that for me it's not and that I wish I hadn't done it. I would be happier if I had a 9 months old 85D now and an extra $20k in my account. At no point did I state that I would prefer a 70D over my current car.

Yes, my 9 months old P85D car is in fact worth about as much as a new 70D. But I'm not sure how having a new 70D now would make me happier.
I think you are missing my point. The OP asked whether it's worth to spend the extra money to get a performance model over the regular model. And I am explaining that for me it's not and that I wish I hadn't done it. I would be happier if I had a 9 months old 85D now and an extra $20k in my account. At no point did I state that I would prefer a 70D over my current car.

I'll take it off your hands :D

But yeah, dude, I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR on depreciation. Mine is worth about half of what I paid for just over two years ago.

IMO, if its not going to put a noticeable amount of financial strain on you, go ahead and spend the extra coin. $10K to $20k is a lot for some and nothing to others, and at the same time this is a piece of tech... and the rule of thumb with tech is that you buy the best you can afford. Granted there are always exceptions to the rule that lie outside the bell curve, but given that you are asking this question, one would assume that you value performance. As such, I believe that you should let your finances be your guide here.