Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Pano or not to Pano

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the pano and don't miss it. Went for black solid. Still has that cool "all glass" look from the outside if you don't look too closely. I've had either sunroofs or ragtops in all my cars. While there is probably something to be said for having the panoramic view up top, I honestly don't miss it as I'm looking out the front of the car anyway. Clearly I'm in the minority but thought you'd be interested in a different opinion.

We got the Pano because I needed the extra headroom (I'm about 6'2", mostly torso...). Beyond that, I don't think anyone's mentioned yet in this thread my favorite feature: Being able to "Vent" the roof! I especially love being able to do that from my iPhone.

... so far two messages to the Rockville MD service center last week have gone un-returned. :-?

Not good. Hope you get a response soon.

The Service Manager in Tampa freely gives out his direct cell # and makes himself available at all sorts of times. I also have the cell # for the Miami Service Manager and if I was ever to need it I also have cell #s for 3 of the Service Rangers in FL- That kind of service dedication is one of the reasons I'm a fan.

Fear of potential mechanical issues was the main reason that I went for the solid black roof instead. And, I love it! The creamish headliner all around keeps the cabin nice and bright too.

Despite being 6' 1" (mostly through the legs), the headroom in the back is fine; if I ever sit back there, that is.

As a driver, during all my time in static cars and test drives in cars with the pano, I felt that the driver's seated too far forward (or, to put it differently, the pano starts too far back thanks to the raked windshield) to really see much through the pano - this is despite my pushing the seat quite some ways back to accommodate my legs. What's the point then?

As for tall passengers in the rear, the big black bar in the middle is what they end up staring at. When it was apparent that the black bar was structural and was there to stay, that sealed the deal for me in favor of the solid roof.

I have a pano roof and if I were to do it again, I would get it WITHOUT.

First, I live in Santa Clara, CA. Very sunny almost every day and cooler at night. It gets very hot during the day and at night, roof gets rather cold. Had difficulty time controlling internal climate due to glass roof with very little insulation. This may be solved with sunshade.

I don't have many back seat passengers, so can't speak to "limited" head space.

I also had creaks, but after 2 days in Freemont service center, no creaks--now for 2 months in hot and cold weather.

I never use the sun roof, nor do I look up that much to see the sky. I only got it "just because". could've lived without it.

@gg_got_a_tesla...thanks for your suggestions a while back about visiting Capitola. Love the beach.

good luck.

Thanks for the responses. The climate issue is important to me since I have some extremes to deal with, for example:

cold.jpg

big-snow.jpg

I plan on using it as a daily driver (95 mile commute) on all days unless it is snow storming, and I plan on keeping it for quite awhile. While at home, it will be in my garage which rarely gets below freezing.

A couple questions:

- Any idea if there will be a retrofit option for a manual shade either from Tesla or after market?
- Via the smartphone app, can you turn the A/C or heater while it is charging? It would be nice if that was so and I could schedule the interior to go to 70 degrees 5 mins before i normally leave the house.

Right now I'm leaning towards the pano (with some trepidation), but being able to add a shade later would ease my mind quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on using it as a daily driver (95 mile commute) on all days unless it is snow storming, and I plan on keeping it for quite awhile. While at home, it will be in my garage which rarely gets below freezing.

A couple questions:

- Any idea if there will be a retrofit option for a manual shade either from Tesla or after market?
- Via the smartphone app, can you turn the A/C or heater while it is charging? It would be nice if that was so and I could schedule the interior to go to 70 degrees 5 mins before i normally leave the house.

Right now I'm leaning towards the pano (with some trepidation), but being able to add a shade later would ease my mind quite a bit.

I think you'll find the shade might not be needed but everyone is different of course. I and others in areas like Texas and Arizona haven't had issues with glare or anything. That said, we still don't know anything about the manual shade that Tesla talked about awhile ago as far as I know.

You can use the mobile app to turn on AC or heat. It stays on for about 30 min so give it a little time to get to the temp you want. It's been an amazing feature in the heat in Texas so far.

I would order it again. IT is true that there is much wind noise when open over 55 mph, I think they should improve the deflector. BUT that being said they have done a great job with the glass. It is NOT HOT, even in S Fla, no noticeable difference in temp in the car, but the overhead view is really nice. If I order the car again, I will order the Pano again.
Best of luck you will really enjoy the car, I am really glad our wait is over.

I'm the OP and when I started this thread I didn't know which way to go.

This weekend my P85+ was delivered to my home and I've put 250 miles on driving through hilly, twisty mountain pass and ski resort roads along with some interstate and city driving.

I got the Pano. I've very happy that I did.

It was 105F here yesterday the sun was beating down and it was a total non-issu