Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Pano or not to Pano

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to figure out if I should get the Panoramic roof or not. I live in N. Utah in the mountains. For most of the summer it is 90F to 100F+ degrees and in there are long stretches in the winter where it is -15F to 10F degrees, especially in the mountain valley where I live.

Initially I ordered it (Performance Plus Multi-coat red with grey wheels) with the pano, but I'm having second thoughts reading about wind noise at high speed and heat/cold issues. I've driving my Ford Expedition around for a few days with the shade on moon roof open, and didn't really like it. There was added glare from the sun and heat.

Is it true though that without the pano there is decreased clearance?

Any thoughts?

If I don't go pano, any opinions on body color versus black top?

I have a few more days were I can make changes.

There is decreased head room without the pano.

I have a black/black with pano and haven't had any concerns in heat or sunlight exposure while driving here in 100F+ weather. Sure, the car heats up while sitting in direct sunlight, but with 15 minutes of pre-cooling, the car is perfect when I get in.

Wind noise is consistent amongst nearly every other vehicle I have had with sunroofs, which I have had for nearly 18 years consistently. There is a suggested comfort setting that avoids much of that noise/buffeting, and I have learned many years ago to crack the back windows a slight bit to rid the buffeting noise.

My advice is to get the pano.

If you decide to get the solid top, red with black top would look nice.

I have the Pano and wouldn't change it for a thing. There is a significant boost in rear seat headroom and I personally love having sky above me on a nice day. The road noise introduced through the roof is negligible and we've seen a few 90 degree days and the heat hasn't been an issue. That being said, everyone should go in eyes wide open: there is the creaking problem. The Pano roof develops a creaking or popping problem once the temperatures get high. It's not supper loud, but if you're a little OCD it can drive you nuts. I've had the same experience many on these boards have: brought it into the Service Center to have it fixed. They did the fix and the problem went away; for about a week. It's back and it looks like something we'll just have to live with.

So it's definitely worth it for me, but I can see that it's a personal decision.

No Pano for me. I saw a hawk the other day while driving and wanted to follow it as it flew over but alas I was unable. I didn't get the pano as I was trying to keep the cost down and it was kind of glitchy last fall. Glitches seemed to be ironed out for the most part now and I would probably put that #1 on the do-over list.

I think the Pano would be nice, especially for a late (or early) summer drive in the mountains. It could be refreshing and fun in the fall too, driving around the canyons with the roof open while the leaves are changing for Fall and Winter.

While I personally don't use a typical sunroof much the size of the Pano would probably change that. :biggrin: (Note that I haven't seen a production Model S in person, yet.)

I think the Pano would be nice, especially for a late (or early) summer drive in the mountains. It could be refreshing and fun in the fall too, driving around the canyons with the roof open while the leaves are changing for Fall and Winter.

While I personally don't use a typical sunroof much the size of the Pano would probably change that. :biggrin: (Note that I haven't seen a production Model S in person, yet.)

My wife and I have never used a sunroof, never cared for a convertible, but there's something about looking up and seeing the clouds and sunshine overhead, the mountains nearby, the trees passing, the hawk up high. You don't use windows in a house to open them, but to see out. Of course, if you want, you can open the window and hear the crickets and the breeze (precious little comes in to ruffle the hair). But people riding look up and the Tesla Grin becomes a hushed "Oh". It's not the same. But it is definitely a plus.

And it looks really neat from the outside, too. Black glass roof. From hood to spoiler.

I can't count how many people come up to the car and say something like, "That's not a car. That's art." We are unashamedly proud.

I rarely open my pano as it is very hot and humid here, but I cannot imagine not having that view overhead. It is tinted dark enough to solve for the heat issue, I've found. No way would I ever consider this car without it.

To Pano or not to Pano?

Pano!

Seriously though, heat and glare is not an issue. If you see a Model S from above at the right angle, you'll notice that the pano roof is more reflective than most other sunroofs, kind of like sunglasses. Like you mentioned, in my old car, sun light could come through the glass on the sun roof and cause heat and glare issues, but that doesn't happen with the pano roof on the Model S.

I should point out though that doing something like following a hawk overhead would not really be that easy just because you have a pano roof. The glass doesn't come foreward far enough and so, while it probably depends on your exact seating position, I think the pano roof really isn't in your area of vision as the driver, unless you look up. However, I still find it quite pleasant as it makes the interior a bit brighter. It's also cool to look up (when it's safe!) and see the sky or tall buildings or whatever.

I got my car delivered in December and I have opened and closed the roof regularly. I haven't had any problems, though I have seen other people report some problems.

I initially didn't have it selected. My wife talked me in to that and leather ("You can't have a car like this without them. :wink: )

She was right. I almost always have my sunroof shade in my other cars closed in the major heat or cold. While we've not had any cold in the last week I've had the car, we have had a couple of 80-90 degree days. The pano handles it just fine.

They really, REALLY figured out how to put an expansive piece of glass in the entire roof of the car, yet not have glare, or major heat transmission, all the while providing a wonderful view when closed, and really open environment when opened.

They, despite a few minor issues that are being sorted out, really executed well on it. Get it. You'll love it for all it's features, and your tall rear seat passengers won't quietly whisper about messing up their hair on a rather low solid roof...

Living in Hawaii I suppose I could use my pano a lot of the time. But I don't. I prefer the astonishing quiet of the car so keep it closed. Would I get it again even though I rarely open it? Unquestionably. As I've contended previously the major reason for getting the pano is not for the sunroof, it is for the tremendously increased rear seat head room. This is not a marginal amount. It is 1.5 to 1.75 inches. That's huge.

My two brothers, both over 6 feet, visited last week and rode in back most of the time. They were able to sit upright comfortably but without much headroom to spare. They would have had to slouch with a hard top and would have been uncomfortable. Do not underestimate the rear seat headroom gain with the pano roof. It is very significant.

I agree that you should go with Pano Roof.

If you do decide to go w/o it, please get a black roof... I have seen a few body color roofs and I am not nearly as fond of the look as I am with black or Pano.

The pano roof is great. The only drawback is that at least in some cars, they creak when driving over surfaces that cause the car's body to flex. This can be extremely annoying. However for my own driving I mostly notice the creaking when I'm driving around on (often poorly surfaced) city streets. The creaking is much less noticeable when driving on a decent highway or country road. Since you live in the mountains of Utah, and may not do so much city driving, the creaking may not be such a big deal. Even with the creaking, which I am still hoping can be fixed, I would order the pano roof if I were to buy another model S.

The Pano does offer one significant advantage. It has attachment footings for roof racks that the plain roof does not. So if you would ever desire a ski rack or any other rack the Pano roof is already prepared.

RNG