Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Pano or Not To Pano?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After lurking here for several months and subsequently test driving the Model S twice, I"m about ready to pull the trigger on my order (90D). One question I've still got is regarding the pano roof. I was at the Telsa showroom at Lenox (Atlanta) today and really liked the clean lines of the solid roof. However, I'm a convertible kind of guy and think I'd miss having the ability to open the top and get some fresh air and sunlight.

I would like to hear pros and cons regarding the panoramic roof. Can you help me?

-rich cook-

We have several tall family members who would hit their head on a solid roof of seated in the back. The pano roof adds a few inches and thus more comfortable.

I feel that the lighting in the car is also more pleasing through the pano roof.

I had the chance to put some miles on both and overall really enjoyed the pano more. Even with a white headliner the solid roof just felt tighter around me and I'm only 5'9.

I rarely open the pano, but I enjoy the extra room it gives and having the option to open it. I have it tinted with Photosync and I have the sun shades in and combined with black headliner it is awesome. The only downside I can think of with the pano, but I don't know much about it in Teslas case is that usually they add extra weight to the top of the car. I've driven twisty roads in both and haven't noticed a huge difference in center of gravity.

Well, I considered the pano and decided against it on my P85D. Many reasons:

- cannot bring myself to add the extra weight (some have said 150lbs!!!) at the worst place to add it - up high. The car is heavy enough already without adding another 3+%
- more prone to road noise, leaks, etc.
- not a sunroof person (would literally never open it)
- don't like the look, either when it is closed or open; fixed roof makes the car look sleeker and more aggressive IMHO
- don't like that the fabric bar in the interior that separates the two panels isn't seamlessly joined with the headliner - looks cheap
- don't take rear seat passengers much so the extra headroom isn't an issue (and without the pano there is more headroom on the sides of the headliner for the driver and passenger)
- same as above re: view for rear seat passengers; for the front seat occupants, no difference because the pano starts aft of the driver
- live in Texas and don't want any extra heat coming into the car

Well, I considered the pano and decided against it on my P85D. Many reasons:

- cannot bring myself to add the extra weight (some have said 150lbs!!!) at the worst place to add it - up high. The car is heavy enough already without adding another 3+%
- more prone to road noise, leaks, etc.
- not a sunroof person (would literally never open it)
- don't like the look, either when it is closed or open; fixed roof makes the car look sleeker and more aggressive IMHO
- don't like that the fabric bar in the interior that separates the two panels isn't seamlessly joined with the headliner - looks cheap
- don't take rear seat passengers much so the extra headroom isn't an issue (and without the pano there is more headroom on the sides of the headliner for the driver and passenger)
- same as above re: view for rear seat passengers; for the front seat occupants, no difference because the pano starts aft of the driver
- live in Texas and don't want any extra heat coming into the car

Ditto on virtually everything he said. I am a convertible person but, in my opinion, a sun roof is the worst of both worlds: the risk of leaks, road noise, etc. but without the true feeling of a convertible. I can't see myself ever owning a Model S with a pano.

Tough call.

The reason I got it was I wanted it roomier, brighter, and I do plan on putting a roof rack on it. I also liked the look of it better.

The reality has been mixed bag.

In the sun it causes too much heating and it doesn't come with a shade by default.
I absolute loathe the mechanical design of it.
They had numerous issues with leaks. So much so that I believe a redesign was implemented (after my 70D was made)
Mine does have some kind of slow leak that I've been trying to reproduce. It's only happened once where a bunch of water spilled onto the passenger seat when I reversed.
It's set back pretty far. So you have to sit really far back to actually have the window above you.
I'm not sure how much difference it makes road noise wise when closed. I'd love to see a comparison because in my opinion road noise is one of the worst aspects of the car. So any improvement helps because it's such a road car. If it's not charging it should be on the road. :)

I do love the extra light, the roomy feel, but most of all I enjoy times with the roof open driving slow speeds around residential areas. Like going to the grocery store and back. Just those few moments of serenity.

Last edited:
I went with pano because of need for ski roof rack in the winter. The mounts for the roof rack are only available if you go with the pano.

I know there have been several reports of leaks from the pano roof, but so far nothing here (since november 2014) although the car has rarely been parked in a garage and it rains a lot here.

I am not a sunroof or convertible guy, but after extensive reading and a test drive, I almost ordered the pano. After having a loaner for a week with a pano, I am very happy I went with a solid roof. 98% of my driving is 70-85 mph. I commute 2 hours a day. Rarely a rear seat passenger. The extra wind noise from the pano bothered me. It is minor, and can easily be drowned out with the stereo, but one thing I love about the Tesla is the silence.

That being said, if you like convertibles and sunroofs, I would get the pano.

I don't find the pano to be a central part of my enjoyment or focus of the car. Many other things capture me more. If I were ordering today I would go without the pano mostly to avoid the risk of issues like leaks and wind noise. It's a minor thing and doesn't matter much to me honestly.

I'm not a sun-roof or convertible guy, lots of skin cancer in our family and plenty things removed from me already, so I was not enthused about the pano option, although my wife really wanted it and it seemed to both fit and finish the car.

We took a drive in a friend's MS with pano and I was convinced it'd be OK. Now, I am happy to say that the coating on the window reduces so much energy that I am completely comfortable with it - even here in the blazing Arizona sun. I do make a habit of turning the AC on a bit before I get to the car, as it can get really warm - but the ability to vent the roof as well is a big help in quickly cooling the car back down.

Agree with others here that it adds headrooms and a more roomy feel to the cabin. Also, I have the black alcantara headliner, so at night in very dark areas and the console turned down. the entire roof just seems to go away - it's pretty cool.

Had my P85 with a pano since January 2013 in Texas - and do not regret having it.

Haven't had any major problems - a couple of rattles early on, that Tesla was able to easily repair.

While the pano may allow more sunlight and heat into the car, this is more than offset by the ability to vent the roof. Plus with the smartphone app it's not only possible to vent/unvent the roof, the ability to turn on the AC and pre-cool the car eliminates any negatives from having more heat through the pano.

I often do short drives with the pano open - with the roof and windows open - and the AC off - enjoying the quiet ride...