Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Performance or not to performance... AWD? P? I can't decide!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
Looking for some words of wisdom here and to be swayed so I can finalize my order. I took the M3P out for a test drive and was blown away.

I haven't yet taken the standard AWD/Dual motor out yet as they didn't have any available. My order is currently for standard dual motor. Especially with the new lower P price, I can afford it. But, is it worth it?

-I'm likely not going to be making it to the track too often.
-I do love the red brakes, bigger tires, and of course the extra 1.2sec 0-60 time is awesome, but will it get old fast?
-Is 4.5 still PLENTY fast? And on the highway does AWD do just as good at overtaking as the P if you're already going around 50? These are the tough questions...

Someone please make this ultimate first world problem decision for me.

If you can afford it, and you loved the P3D test drive, then you should go for the Performance for sure. 1.2 seconds in 0-60 is pretty significant difference. What you don't want to do is to cheap out now, then wish you had gotten the P3D later.

AWD is plenty fast, even the LR is fast at 5 seconds. It is definitely a first world problem in the realm of Tesla. I just think you may regret not getting the P3D since you can afford it.

Of course bigger, faster, better. Outside of being able to afford it, is it a good decision?

Is it a noticeable difference from anyone that's driven both? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is - will it remain awesome over time or is the standard AWD plenty quick for someone coming from a BMW 228i?

Will P hold its value better too?

-I do love the red brakes, bigger tires, and of course the extra 1.2sec 0-60 time is awesome, but will it get old fast?

It never gets old. At least not in the 6 weeks and 2,000 miles that I've had mine for... I now embrace yellows because every green-light-launch puts a big fat smile on my face. It's a hell of a beast. Absolutely kills my 2015 Audi S4.

Of course bigger, faster, better. Outside of being able to afford it, is it a good decision?

Is it a noticeable difference from anyone that's driven both? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is - will it remain awesome over time or is the standard AWD plenty quick for someone coming from a BMW 228i?

Will P hold its value better too?

Do you want to beat an STI at a light? Get the P. If you don't mind being neck and neck, get the AWD :) Of course consider the money too.

I haven't yet taken the standard AWD/Dual motor out yet as they didn't have any available. My order is currently for standard dual motor. Especially with the new lower P price, I can afford it. But, is it worth it?

-Is 4.5 still PLENTY fast? And on the highway does AWD do just as good at overtaking as the P if you're already going around 50?
I was in the same position (test drove the P and bought the regular AWD) and am happy to have saved the $10k. Another consideration is that the 20" wheel/tire combination that comes with the P reduces range and efficiency significantly.

Accelerating from a stop the P is more "head snapping", but the difference isn't dramatic IMO and the AWD is plenty fast for everyday driving. The pull at higher speeds felt pretty much identical to me. In practice you rarely encounter a car that you can't easily pass in normal driving conditions (other than other Teslas, of course ;)).

BTW, the 1.2s difference is a bit of a sham. Tesla recently "adjusted" the number to exclude rollout for the P, while leaving the original numbers for the RWD and AWD versions. The real difference is about 1s.

I was in the same position (test drove the P and bought the regular AWD) and am happy to have saved the $10k. Another consideration is that the 20" wheel/tire combination that comes with the P reduces range and efficiency significantly.

Accelerating from a stop the P is more "head snapping", but the difference isn't dramatic IMO and the AWD is plenty fast for everyday driving. The pull at higher speeds felt pretty much identical to me. In practice you rarely encounter a car that you can't easily pass in normal driving conditions (other than other Teslas, of course ;)).

BTW, the 1.2s difference is a bit of a sham. Tesla recently "adjusted" the number to exclude rollout for the P, while leaving the original numbers for the RWD and AWD versions. The real difference is about 1s.

Now this is extremely helpful. I actually just was able to make a standard AWD test drive appt for tomorrow. They previously only had the P's ready for test drives. Chicago area.

Reactions: Eno Deb
Now this is extremely helpful. I actually just was able to make a standard AWD test drive appt for tomorrow. They previously only had the P's ready for test drives. Chicago area.
I will tell you this as someone who has an AWD, but has driven Tesla S,X, 3 up to even a P100D. For everyday driving the AWD is stupid fast. 50-100 acceleration (highway merging) there is almost no difference from the P3D. P3D is for is you have enough spare cash that you don't really care about the extra 10-14 K. Or you want to dragstrip. Or Autocross.
Ask your self if having 20 inch wheels and red calipers is worth the month? And of course the extra software unlock. The hardware is the same, period. But with P you will get track mode eventually, which I would LOVE to have.
And I also wish I had red calipers....but I could not afford to spend the extra money and I love my car the way it is.

I will tell you this as someone who has an AWD, but has driven Tesla S,X, 3 up to even a P100D. For everyday driving the AWD is stupid fast. 50-100 acceleration (highway merging) there is almost no difference from the P3D. P3D is for is you have enough spare cash that you don't really care about the extra 10-14 K. Or you want to dragstrip. Or Autocross.
Ask your self if having 20 inch wheels and red calipers is worth the month? And of course the extra software unlock. The hardware is the same, period. But with P you will get track mode eventually, which I would LOVE to have.
And I also wish I had red calipers....but I could not afford to spend the extra money and I love my car the way it is.

These are the perspectives that are really helpful. Reading everyone's replies, I'm leaning towards standard AWD.

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker and Tron 3
I haven't yet taken the standard AWD/Dual motor out yet as they didn't have any available.

Uh-huh...

Your profile says you're in California. Sounds like your Tesla Store took one out of the "Upselling 101" playbook. ;):D

These are the perspectives that are really helpful. Reading everyone's replies, I'm leaning towards standard AWD.

I love my AWD. You can't go wrong with it and you'll save yourself a bunch of Benjamins. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker and DR61
So almost ten years ago I was in your position trying to decide between an Audi S4 and the RS4. I wavered like you trying to decide between the two. The RS4 just seemed too much for what I wanted to spend. Ultimately I bought the S4.

Now I absolutely love the S4. It drives great, it's super fun and I love the roar of the engine. That being said there's not a single day that goes by where I don't wish I would have just bought the RS4 instead. It had the same mpgs. Same upkeep cost and is blazing fast and the price difference at the time was the same as your choice.

Flash forward to now. M3 AWD became available after two long years and oh wait they have this amazing Performance edition. I didn't make the same mistake twice...

Now that the PUP is included in base price the P3D is a no brainer.

Ask yourself what's more important to you...

A little bit more fun every time you drive

or

More Benjamins in your bank/investment account

Note: I do not recommend upgrading to the Performance if you're already taking on debt to make this purchase.

I have an order for LR-AWD and was having this exact same dilemma, so I rushed to a Tesla Store to test drive a P3D+ the day after the price dropped by $5k. Having driven an LR-RWD, the P3D+ feels faster but not noticeable enough in daily driving to spend $11k more that LR-AWD (or $9.5k more if you ordered LR-AWD w/ Sport Wheels). I have two sports cars, so I don't need a daily driver to be my "fast" car. If the Model 3 is to be my only car, I'd probably give the P3D+ a stronger consideration.

For everyday driving the AWD is stupid fast........but I could not afford to spend the extra money and I love my car the way it is.

This is exactly how I feel on this. The AWD is wickedly fast as-is. Sure, if I had an extra $10K, I'd have considered the P, but may have still hesitated due to the reduced range from those 20-inch wheels. The P might impress my friends, but the speeding tickets won't impress my insurance company! I already have to watch my speedometer constantly. The AWD will still give you a hell of a smile launching at a light...until you notice that you're going 70 in a 45. Whoops.

Reactions: Jaywlker and Tron 3

Check the charge level when you take the test drive. I had the same struggle, and hemmed and hawed about it to the day I took delivery (standard AWD). I drove both the P3D and the 3 (RWD), and lusted after the P. I didn't know what the 3D would feel like since I couldn't drive one, and was worried about it right up until I took delivery. I knew I probably wouldn't be satisfied with the RWD, and I definitely would be happy with the P3D, but what about the 3D??

I picked up my 3D on Saturday, and got it with only about 20% charge. While it was quick, I was lamenting my decision not to fire up the P, as it didn't have nearly the surge I remembered. After I gave it a full charge, the car was much quicker and I'm not longer feeling such regret. I drove all 3 versions, and in my opinion, the biggest difference between the 3D and P3D is off the line. The P3D has a bigger surge from 0. When you're at speed (even from just ~15mph), I don't notice as much of a difference.

My previous DD was a Porsche Cayenne Turbo (500hp, 0-60 ~4.7), and the 3D feels faster to me. Maybe not so much in a straight-up 0-60 run, but in all other aspects of "standard" driving. Because you always have full access to the torque, it's ready to go at 100% with zero notice. No lag, no muss, no fuss. Just quickness when you need it. It's that ability to be where you want, when you want, without having to worry about a gear change, etc. I also have a 911 (997), and the 3D feels quicker/more responsive in most circumstances (until the speeds get a bit higher).

All that being said, I'd be curious to drive a P3D again now that I've lived with the 3D for a few days. No doubt I'd love to have the extra oomph of the P, but I'm not missing it like I thought I might. If Tesla offered to flash mine to a P for ~$5k, I'd probably do it, but the true lament I thought I'd feel isn't there.

*** On another note, I always see people talking about all these stoplight races, but I just don't experience it. Since the 90s, I've had a fire-breathing bright orange '77 911, a black Porsche 968, a red Boxster, a black 911, and a bunch of other performance cars...never once has anyone raced me at a light. I don't expect that to be any different in the Tesla.

Reactions: gavine and DR61
Hi guys,
Looking for some words of wisdom here and to be swayed so I can finalize my order. I took the M3P out for a test drive and was blown away.

-Is 4.5 still PLENTY fast? And on the highway does AWD do just as good at overtaking as the P if you're already going around 50? These are the tough questions...

Someone please make this ultimate first world problem decision for me.

I have an AWD. Do I wish I had ordered the P3D, yes. But I would NOT have ordered it with the larger tires. I prefer the 18s. Mine is primarily a commuter car. While I would love to have the extra second faster, for me the lost efficiencies of the larger tires aren’t worth it. So if I had to order today, I’d probably just keep the AWD. It would have been nice to have ordered the P3D with 18s AND gotten the 5K refund now!

But as others have said... geez the AWD is fast. I love this car. And will probably put down a deposit on the Y if it’s only $1k. Just so I’m already queued up for it when the time comes.